Formatting SD Card in P4P Sorta Nukes Card

Reaction score
Hi P4P fliers! I noticed that when I format the micro SD card in the bird it seems to sorta nuke the card since it not only clears the files (which of course you want), but also resets the card name and makes it so that some of my card readers don't work with it (I assume because they don't see it when it's in the reader for whatever reason) and it's difficult to get it to be read by my computer from the reader that came with the card, only the SanDisk adapters I have from other cards. After it's been back in the bird and files have been written to it, the card readers see it again, but I've never seen this issue with any of the other digital cameras and devices I've ever used. I'm using a SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-II microSDXC Memory Card with the USB 3.0 adapter it came with.

At first I thought it was the new card reader or one of the USB hubs on my iMac, but they work fine in the SanDisk adapters I have for my other micro SD cards, and cards from other devices like a GoPro Hero 5 work fine in all of my adapters and ports. Anyone else having SD card formatting issues, any known issues here, any tips to avoid these glitches?

Never any problems here using Windows and the micro-to-SD Sandisk adapter into the SD port to transfer. Formatting in the drone does write some other files and folders to the card though so I don't format in the computer - but most cameras prefer the owner to format in the camera as well.

Don't know, but that might be some Apple permissions or security issue as Apple seems to have gone a bit finicky in the later builds with that stuff.

Thanks GMack. Yeah I know it's a best practices to format in whatever camera you're using vs. deleting files on the computer, so I always do that. I would chat with DJI but don't want to spend my entire morning to not get a solution... This situation is not unusable, more of an annoyance so I will deal for now I guess.

I'm using a SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-II microSDXC Memory Card.
Anyone else having SD card formatting issues, any known issues here, any tips to avoid these glitches?
It seems that the P4pro is a bit more fussy about SD cards than previous Phantoms.
There are quite a few reports of various issues and many relate to some particular 64GB cards.
For now I'd put that card aside and use something else.

I saw on the DJI website the P4P is compatible with "SD cards up to 128GB, Class 10 and UHS-1 rating with writing speed faster than 15MByte/s" so I thought it could potentially be that the UHS-II rating of the card could be causing the issue, but just got off of chat with DJI and they say that's fine.

64 GB cards when formatted in the UAV will be formatted using exFAT, an extension to FAT32 for large cards.

Mac operating systems OS X 10.6.5 and newer should be able to handle that format. (The latest Sierra 10.12 is okay with exFAT) You can run Disk Utility (it is in the Utilities folder in the Application folder) and check to see how the disk was formatted if you are interested.

Your best bet is still to format in the UAV, and read the card after it has images, transferring the images to your storage location.

Thanks @Barking Deer I appreciate the info and explanation. I had a feeling it had something to do with the capacity/format of the card and that clears it up for now. The card works in a couple of my readers and I can get my files off of it, so I can deal with an "untitled" SD for the time being. Thx1

i format a 64GB sandisk extreme pro card using SDformator on mac (10.11.6) today
in the info window the card says it was created 1970
so i use better finder attributes (info says 1980) to change the right date

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 16.14.47.jpg

take a small video and picture (jpeg+raw)

interesting info on the card (see date of DCIM folder)

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 16.10.10.jpg

and the right info in the image capture app for the pictures (not on the video)

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 16.09.56.jpg

better finder attributes shows now

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 16.16.53.jpg

so i change the date for card and files again and take new shots

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 16.17.40.jpg

and again has changed the date of the card and new files

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 16.23.49.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-01-08 at 16.24.03.jpg

so there is a major problem in the birds firmware

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics