Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Formating that SD card ...

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by grrquadman, Sep 8, 2015.

1. grrquadman

FYI:
    -
    I just learned something in the process of upgrading to the latest firmware.
    I had formatted the SD card IN the bird and then followed the instructions. Wouldn’t work - got a steady green light on the camera LED. Okay, let’s format in the COMPUTER instead. Put the bin file on the card. Put it into the camera slot. Bingo, flashing green & red. Success. I would have thought formatting in the Phantom would be the preferred method. Go figure.
    -
    Now I am eager to see the new options on my Android Samsung Note 3, (from what I gather, I will not see them UNTIL the P-3-P is actually in the air), correct?

2. Phantom100flyer

Take a look at the recently updated Litchi App. It is great!

3. Oso

Oso

The unfortunate thing is that its different for everyone. There is an active thread right now for a guy who formatted in the bird which worked perfectly and allowed the FW update.

4. grrquadman

Yup, I know that thread. That is precisely why I did format the SD card in the bird.
    But in my case it didn't work until I formatted in the computer. Gotta love it.

Oso likes this.
  5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Format wherever you like. It makes no difference.
    Occasionally the P3 will decide it doesn't like an SD card and it doesn't matter where it was formatted.
    And the next day it will use the same card happily.
    Just one of those little mysteries.

6. 4wd

4wd

Generally speaking with any camera which has the ability to format the card you should do it in the device.
    Not to say it's wrong to do it in computer but with some cameras it can cause problems as the folders aren't set up and named as it expects.

7. UAS0750

Should I remove the "How to Update Firmware" manual before putting the SDCard in the bird?

8. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Since there are no folders or names on a formatted disk (it's been wiped clean), I don't think this is right.
    Look at a formatted card sometime. It's blank.
    I've formatted SD cards for the Phantom and other cameras in the computer thousands of times and still haven't seen any problem.

9. bobomet

I always format in the bird. I like to reset the image counter and download into date specific folders.
    My FW updates have all worked fine .....

10. russsandy

just up dated new 1.1.04 without a problem. 1st format your sc card. place a blank sd card in the quad card slot. turn on quad, remote connected to i phone, . touch center top rectangle and it shoud go to aircraft state, scroll to bottom and format your card. . use this card in your computer to download bin file. plug in quad camera and turn on quad. 25 minuted it was done, no update on remote. everything looks like it will fly. tomorrow will give it a go.
    russsandy

UPDATE FLEW TODAYEVERYTHING WAS A GO, NO PROBLEMS AT ALL

#10 russsandy, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  11. bobmyers

yes

12. russsandy

I DID NOT, AND IT WORKED. I DONT THINK IT MATTERS, OTHERS AS I SEE DO