Forced - Happy Landing - Why Was I Not Able To Cancel Auto Landing?

Its the latest firmware/app causing it to auto land when battery gets too low. Which is very bad because many people will start losing their P3 to auto land over water or once the p3 gets too low far away they just wont be able to find it... Guys better get that factory restore bin for the p3 and radio, and older versions of the go app...

Got that vid yet???

Finalizing on you tube for the last 3 hours. [emoji13]

Why can't I post videos here? Tried the web version on several machines and no dice. It's a1 minute video. YouTube is a joke!

Its the latest firmware/app causing it to auto land when battery gets too low. Which is very bad because many people will start losing their P3 to auto land over water or once the p3 gets too low far away they just wont be able to find it... Guys better get that factory restore bin for the p3 and radio, and older versions of the go app...

It seems to me that I used to be able to cancel out of force/auto land.

is the video private? make it public and post youtube link. don't try to upload here if you are having issues and simply upload on YouTube and post the link

YouTube is just churning away saying "finalizing video."

It should take like 5 minutes to upload and to process a 1 minute video on youtube. I would cancel and start over.

It should take like 5 minutes to upload and to process a 1 minute video on youtube. I would cancel and start over.

Thanks trying that now.

I tested the auto land at critically low battery. 8% is when mine started to force land. The red X is greyed out. Can't be pushed at all.

One can fight against the auto land by adding altitude, although It's hard to manage because when you let go of the stick the bird goes goes down. I poked around for a setting to control this (turn it off) and wasn't able to find one. I suspect it was part of one of the updates. I seem to recall being able to cancel out, additionally the message near the X at one point ( I think) says press the X to cancel.

I'm not a fan in that I want full control, in the incident I've outlined in this thread, I would've easily made it to where I had taken off from. The forced land just created a problem for me.

Curious if others are able to cancel out. Anyone brave enough to test it for me and report back? Just wondering if maybe I just have a bug.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447548821.021339.jpg

Mark

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447549036.281611.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447549036.281611.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 297
Got that vid yet???

Success on YouTube. Here's the link.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Right near the end I turn the camera up to help me locate where the bird is. I launched about a 100 yards from where she landed on the car.

Mark.

Reactions: Oso and Jbundy63
Anytime your battery reaches 10 % Critical Low Power-- the P3 is going to land-- you may have 10 seconds max to move it where you need it and that will be it. It you fly it down below 8% under hi amp drain, there is a good chance that you will damage the battery's cells or longevity. If you always try to land at 30%, that gives you plenty of cushion so you don't get into these situations. Any cell that is discharged to less than 3 volts is pretty well trash.

Reactions: Jbundy63
Anytime your battery reaches 10 % Critical Low Power-- the P3 is going to land-- you may have 10 seconds max to move it where you need it and that will be it. It you fly it down below 8% under hi amp drain, there is a good chance that you will damage the battery's cells or longevity. If you always try to land at 30%, that gives you plenty of cushion so you don't get into these situations. Any cell that is discharged to less than 3 volts is pretty well trash.

I find it hard to believe that the "intelligent" battery would allow me to harm it. ~6% seems to be the cutoff of power all together. In any case, DJI recommends bringing the battery down to 8% every 20 cycles for battery longevity.

My post was in regards to canceling out of auto landing, as I believe it used to be possible.

Thanks,
Mark.

I find it hard to believe that the "intelligent" battery would allow me to harm it. ~6% seems to be the cutoff of power all together. In any case, DJI recommends bringing the battery down to 8% every 20 cycles for battery longevity.

My post was in regards to canceling out of auto landing, as I believe it used to be possible.

Thanks,
Mark.
The 8 % deep discharge should be performed as follows-- Fly the P3 down to 20 %. Take the battery out and let it cool. Put the P3 on the bench, take the props off-- start the motors and let it idle till the battery reaches 8%. Take the battery out and recharge it. The purpose of this deep cycle is to recalibrate the Smart Battery circuitry, not to condition the battery. If the battery is discharged to low voltage on every flight at high amperage loads , it will eventually degrade the cells and ruin the battery.

Try to land it at 30%, that gives you plenty of cushion-- at 30 % you might have 2.5 minutes to critical battery if you are lucky. So it you are out 2000 feet at 30%, you may not have enough time to get it on the ground before it lands on its on depending on the wind.

Reactions: Jbundy63

Thanks,
Mark.

If your battery is that low it will auto land, no matter if you have the fail safe set to RTH or Auto Land. You can get a little of altitude to maybe find a better spot but it's not much when it's that low.

The 8 % deep discharge should be performed as follows-- Fly the P3 down to 20 %. Take the battery out and let it cool. Put the P3 on the bench, take the props off-- start the motors and let it idle till the battery reaches 8%. Take the battery out and recharge it. The purpose of this deep cycle is to recalibrate the Smart Battery circuitry, not to condition the battery. If the battery is discharged to low voltage on every flight at high amperage loads , it will eventually degrade the cells and ruin the battery.

Try to land it at 30%, that gives you plenty of cushion-- at 30 % you might have 2.5 minutes to critical battery if you are lucky. So it you are out 2000 feet at 30%, you may not have enough time to get it on the ground before it lands on its on depending on the wind.

Can't imagine running the motors without a load (no matter how slight) from 20% to 8%, nor was I aware if this procedure. That to me would seemingly cause undue wear, as there would be no real airflow around heat emitting components.

My scenario is not in regards to being out at distance, rather timing the power I have remaining and having full control. My post was in regards to auto land, and the fact that I used to be able to cancel out of it, and land the bird as I saw fit. It would seem that one of the software updates took that away. Not sure which one, as this isn't something I practice regularly.

Mark

If your battery is that low it will auto land, no matter if you have the fail safe set to RTH or Auto Land. You can get a little of altitude to maybe find a better spot but it's not much when it's that low.

See my pic, it used to be an option to cancel out of auto/forced landing. The red X is simply no longer functional as it once was.

Mark.

See my pic, it used to be an option to cancel out of auto/forced landing. The red X is simply no longer functional as it once was.

Mark.
I see, I know today while flying a ways off I lost signal for a few seconds and when the signal came back the red x was flashing (RTH initiated) and was functional. I am using an ISO device and most updated software. What device are you using? Just a guess but have you uninstalled to Go app and reinstalled?

Duh my bad, never mind the device! I seen it in the pic [emoji15]

Last edited:
I see, I know today while flying a ways off I lost signal for a few seconds and when the signal came back the red x was flashing (RTH initiated) and was functional. I am using an ISO device and most updated software. What device are you using? Just a guess but have you uninstalled to Go app and reinstalled?

Duh my bad, never mind the device! I seen it in the pic [emoji15]

I have not uninstalled the app. I am up to date on updates. I guess it wouldn't hurt to reinstall the Go app.

For clarity, I'm referring to auto land not RTH. I also have my settings set to RTH when signal is lost and critical low battery occurs.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has/can test to see if the auto/force landing cancel button works for them.

Mark.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31