Forced - Happy Landing - Why Was I Not Able To Cancel Auto Landing?

Reaction score
Hi All, had a nice long distance flight yesterday and ran the battery nearly all the way down. I had it timed to return safely, but auto landing took over and I couldn't cancel out for some reason. I had controls otherwise, but panicked and ran to where the bird was landing and gave in to just running to the scene. The bird landed safely on the back of a car in the parking lot.

I've had the battery at that level in the past, and have been successful at landing on my own or have been able to cancel out of landing. On this instance the red X in the upper left corner was sort of greyed out and an open yellow circle with the word exposure seemed to get in the way. I'm unclear if I enabled a setting that caused the yellow exposure circle to interfere, as I was filming the entire flight.

Really happy the bird landed safely and didn't end up hurting someone,
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447369035.522632.jpg
in the water, or damaging something or itself.

Lesson for me is to not run the battery down that low again.

Any ideas on the auto land and moving yellow exposure circle...?

Thanks,
Mark.

I would guess the exposure icon got in the way of cancel button & in a panic( understandably) u couldnt hit the tiny X on the exposure icon to remove it and expose the cancel button.

So, where's the video? Or it didn't happen. Hahaha
Those prop gaurds protected you from the ski rack, are the reason, you get to fly another day. Hey?
& Is that My old Toyota Privia? Same color as mine too. ;-)

If so, you should feel Privileged. Hehe
Lucky if wasn't running, down the street, with you in hot pursuit.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: B- Scene Films
What about the remote? Cant you hold down the RTH button to cancel?

What about the remote? Cant you hold down the RTH button to cancel?
If I remember right you push RTH and hold 3 seconds to enable RTH, and you push RTH briefly to disable. However I'm not sure if that affects the auto land when the battery is critically low.

I'm so totally not kidding, and didn't even consider the idea that the car could have driven off. Although I was close behind, so they wouldn't have gone far.

I too think the prop guards saved me from chewing on the guys racks [emoji12].

I also believe the exposure button blocked me shutting down auto land. Any clues on how to keep the exposure button function from interfering again? Is it automatic when one touches the screen?

I'll shorten the video (15 minutes long) to the landing - and post.

Thanks all,
Mark.

sheeze! i have my first warning set at 27% and land with no less than 20% battery....brave soul and must have lots of money to replace smart batteries from over dischargeing.

sheeze! i have my first warning set at 27% and land with no less than 20% battery....brave soul and must have lots of money to replace smart batteries from over dischargeing.

I believe my first warning is at 20% -changes when out at distance. I've noticed the app factors in distance for return travel and warns earlier, seemingly to compensate for the power needed. Smart batteries have integrated protection.

Mark

Tried posting video several times... No dice anyone else having issues?

Mark.

I may be wrong- someone will surely correct me if so- but if your battery gets to a certain point it will just go into emergency auto land mode. You can steer it and maybe briefly fight the descent a bit, but it WILL land. You can't cancel it.

It's a safety feature to hopefully prevent it from just falling out of the sky.

I may be wrong- someone will surely correct me if so- but if your battery gets to a certain point it will just go into emergency auto land mode. You can steer it and maybe briefly fight the descent a bit, but it WILL land. You can't cancel it.

^^ This.

That's crazy! Very lucky, I've gotten to the point where my batteries are having so many flights on them I don't chance going so low as I did when they where new.

I've gotten to the point where my batteries are having so many flights on them I don't chance going so low as I did when they where new.
Must be nice. Sadly I haven't been out in over 2 months :(

Man that sucks! Is it because your in the Big Apple?
Mainly due to a 2.5 yr old and a 4 month old and a nanny that has off on the weekends. I've contemplated selling my bird many times, but I keep thinking about how much fun I had flying last winter , when the world is devoid of people outdoors to bother me.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Mainly due to a 2.5 yr old and a 4 month old and a nanny that has off on the weekends. I've contemplated selling my bird many times, but I keep thinking about how much fun I had flying last winter , when the world is devoid of people outdoors to bother me.
Man I know that feel with the kids all too well but as they get older you will have more time. You have fun flying and even though you can't fly as much right now it also makes it more exciting when you do because your not flying every day, as far as people even where I am it is somewhat an issue because I try to stay away from them. Hopefully in the future people will be more understanding of our hobby. Best of luck bbfpv

The interesting thing is I think I have been able to in the past.

Begin the test... [emoji3]

Mark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20