Forced Go App Update -Workaround

I have installed 2.9.1 with the hosts file method on a rooted tablet and on another tablet with the edited files. Both apps work fine but i am unable to log into my dji account on either app so can't get to my log files.

Yes some may know that generally now I use Litchi - but Go is still there because of its calibration and update facility etc. that Litchi will not do. There are times to use GO and times to use Litchi.

For those who are wanting Google maps etc. and increased function - and the choice of when to update / use etc. - why not take easy route and install Litchi ?
I fly with nothing BUT Litchi. I have never lifted either P3 off the ground using GO. Never will. However, there are functions in Go that Litchi does not (and can not) have. Calibration. Controller Pairing. Stick curves. Etc.

Why I am in this thread is because I needed to re-pair my P3A controller to the P3A instead of my P3P because I had used it as a backup when the battery was low on the main controller. I was greeted with DJI's proverbial 45 to the head dialog "Upgrade or Die". I found by simply deleting the Go app and reinstalling it I could get the pairing done. I keep the APK on my dropbox thankfully. So I reinstalled 2.8.1 and re-paired the RC and terminated Go. I need to fly tomorrow and didn't want to screw with patching anything on my flight tablet. I will work through some of the solutions presented in this thread (thank you by the way) later. I am probably going to root the K1 and patch it at the firewall so it can't connect out.

Umm .. i havent seen that. I'm on 2.9.1 and the update prompt hasnt come back since. I would close DJI and re-copy the files, see if it takes. What device??
Here is something you all may find helpful, your maps will eventually kick out. The moment you go back on line to reload the maps you will of course get the dreaded update message, this is just a reminder to let you know who really owns your equipment. Here is a shortcut around that whole crap deal. After you get the corrected Jason files loaded and the app working correctly again. Get the maps all downloaded and get them working correctly, shut the wifi off check maps, if alright go into the android/dji.pilot directory and copy the entire cache directory over to your sd card. Make a directory on your sd and put the cache file on it, the maps are loaded and saved in your saved cache file. You can go back and download maps of other areas, while your at it, and then save the cache file back to your sd in a directory labeled relative to your maps location that you have downloaded. This helps if you fly in several different locations. All you have to do is copy over the cache file back into your android/dji.pilot directory. erase the apk files and your good to go, With a fresh loaded set of maps of area of your selection. With no upgrade nag. Use your firewall then whenever you go on line for anything else to keep the app from kicking the maps out or upgrading your program. I actually copy and recopy the the entire dji.pilot directory, because I have placed in the android/dji.pilot/files directory the dji.config file this gives me the full 32 channels that the hd wifi system operates on instead of just eight. I have switched the maps back and forth I have seen no problems, and the maps work great for what ever area I select. If you get the nag or the maps kick out reload the cache delete the apk's , reboot and you should be good to go with fresh maps, with out ever going on line. I am going to experiment further and recopy the the corrected jason files back to my saved cache and see if there is any difference in the reload then when the maps kick out. Tested on 2.8.1 and 2.9.1

Last edited:
Reactions: Digdat0
How the Fu** did DJI get a signal to my drone, to force me to a mandatory update, when I never had my tablet online with the DJI app running? We do not want MANDATORY updates that remove capabilities! How many products do you know that FORCE you to do an update which REMOVES CAPABILITIES from your purchase? Can you name any other item you purchase which makes you do so? What if you bought a car and they required a MANDATORY update before you could drive? What if they took away capabilities like how fast you could drive or better yet made it so you could not drive in your city? That is exactly what DJI is doing. Add on top of that, The Faulty plastic which makes these $1000 items DISPOSABLE!!

Guys:
I use 2.7.2 without any problems.
Yesterday I update from 1.4 to 1.5. the log is a mix of failure and success.
Everything works but on the app I try to see fw version and RC, they are empty.
Also use another phone with app 3.1.5 and the same....
Is this a indirect result of this mod??
No RC and Fw info?
Apart that everything seems to work well....

The reason for the forced update was because GO 3.1.2 had a serious bug with determining RC location which you might apply as your home point or cause system think you've flown too far.
You probably did have Wi-Fi to the tablet at some point.
As far as the car analogy, if there was a strong chance, say 40% mfr might indeed disable your car from starting if the capability was in there.
I agree it should have only been against 3.1.2 though.

Reactions: Digdat0
I finally got tired of editing files every time I got the you must upgrade notice. It seems when I restart tablet or firewall updates Go connects to the server before firewall starts. I ended up rooting my K1 several weeks ago and editing the hosts file. Going on two weeks and not a peep from Go about updating.

I use Litchi more than Go but sometimes I just like using Go and Here Maps just doesn't have the resolution of Google Maps. I also noticed Google Maps updated within the last two years because when I look at my house my dog is laying in the back yard.

I have v2.9.1 workingh fine along with Google maps however, the amount of maps that can be cached seems limited. I can cache one of my flight area but not two or more. Seems the device (S6 Edge) or the DjiGo app set a limit. Anyone know how to increase this??

Hi, I will give you all a "short" history on my Phantom 3 Std. (Not that much could go wrong in under 2 months)

After owning a Phantom for less than 2 months I have persevered with it having some sort of issue almost every time I tried to fly it.
Being new to flying drones I opened the box and charged up the batteries. Read the manual while charging and as I have done with every other piece of computer related hardware, connected up and proceeded to update any firmware. (normally any issues are sorted, that's why they release updates)

First problem/mistake.. Unknown firmware version.. I am sure you are all now familiar with. I assume the drone was old stock with an old version on it. I downloaded the firmware and tried via the sd card and did not have success.
Result. No Flying.

Waited patiently until DJI fixed the problem with the App so I could do the update the way it was intended. After a nervous (noisy) wait it worked. Wow I can go and fly.. Wrong. The App reported an issue with my battery and showed one cell was faulty and advised not to fly!!
By now I was that pi...d. I though I had wasted money on a POS. Anyway a trip back to the retailer and they swapped the battery for a new one.

Finally I was getting to fly it.. Woke up on a Sunday to go for a fly and the tablet had updated the Go App overnight unknown by myself to the famous 3.1.2 version complete with the distant homepoint problem.. Again No flying..

I then proceeded to install/delete apps until I found one I could feel confident with and was quite happy with the result until yesterday when I went to use my Phantom only to find I was NOT allowed to use the app that I had on my tablet & I HAD to upgrade! No Option!.
If Apple forced me to update my phone and stop me from making or receiving a call until I did, the phone would be in the bin and I would never purchase another Apple product!

How would we all be if two versions back we were forced to use version 3.1.2 ! How many lost drones would there be? They would not even recognise there was an issue and warn users to be aware.

As you can probably see I am not happy with DJI. (The Company)
From reading their forum, every fault with one of their drones is pilot error so I don't hold my breath for any warranty.. Time for some mods.. Hardware & software..

To get around the "FORCED" upgrade to the App this is what I have done.. It is working so far.
When the App gives you the tip - You must upgrade.. Do the following... Android Only. If it doesn't work you have not lost anything. Just delete the app and reinstall.

1. Close the app ( At bottom of screen left Arrow, Up arrow and square) hit the
square and wait until X at top corner of small app screen.
2. From file manager open /android/data/dji.pilot/cache/list.json as a text file.
3. Edit the file and change line 4 -> "significant1":"1", to "significant1":"0", then save.
4. Go into folder /dji.pilot/ and delete asdklog.s (when you start your app this will be recreated.
5. Go back into your DJI App and you will still have your old version. I did have it once promt me to
advise there was an update but I had the option to remind me later rather than I must upgrade. I selected "remind me later" and the remider has not came back again. It may come back tomorrow.

EDIT:
It did tell me each day to perform the update and I changed the list.json file again and deleted the asdklog.s file. Sometimes when you reopen DJi Go it looks like it did not work. Just close DJI Go as in step 1 and restart the app. It works ok for me.

No need for root access.
End edit..

At least I still have Gmaps and can use v3.0.1 app with wifi on. It will probably happen each day you fire the app up, but the two changes will allow you to use the version you want.

I ran two batteries down today using the old app and still have wifi turned on to cache my G maps.

Cheers
This is a little easierr?? LOL DJI GO No Forced Update - Google Drive

What is the trick to get Google maps to appear with this modified version of this app? No matter what I setup (i.e. connect to internet via cellular or via home wifi) all I ever get is a grey screen where the maps should show. I have tried this version on two android devices and no matter what, google maps dont display.

When I install the unmodified version, modify list.json, etc I have no problem viewing and caching the google maps (except as noted in my post above)

Reactions: Dan Lee
For those using dji go 4 on iOS and don't want the latest update I made a how to on rolling that one back. If/when dji forces update on iOS I expect this may be more popular.

What do you mean by limited? You mean it won't load previously viewed map area?

There are two main areas I fly. One about 5 miles east of me the other 3 miles west. I can cache one or the other but not both. On my ipad however, this is not an issue. In fact I have yet to reach a limit.

I think some of you are under estimating dji in their attempt at preventing software tampering.Could there be something written in the Go App so when you start it,it searches your device to see what version your using and possible shut you down if you have tried to edit it ?.Maybe it's a long shot but it might be worth looking at if someone has that experience.

Yes, I believe that is completely possible... AS far as DJI Go is concerned.... But there are many "Aftermarket apps" So that makes it possible to just use them... BUT!!!! If DJI Go app is EVER used!! It Can write information to the drone ... Without your willingness... As a, Limit to flight perimeters or worse a re-activating that includes a forced Firmware update... With limits... FYI NO APP can recalibrate the IMU or activate a drone.... But DJI GO... So... NFU is needed ;)

Last edited:
When somebody figures this language out then they're on to something.This is a partial off one of my logs.Updating but I flew for days after that then one day Kaboom,max height 30m ,distance about the same but all is good now.

DJIP3cUpgradeManager status = INITING
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: 固件升级初始化Camera
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask task = Camera, status = INITING, msgId = MSG_ID_INIT
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: 恢复模式,等待相机推送升级数据Camera
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask task = Camera, status = UPGRADING, msgId = MSG_ID_RECOVERY
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: 发送相机传输完成标记成功Camera
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: 升级进行中: 总:3; 当前:1; 进度:0Camera
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246005006
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246005023
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246005055
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246005086
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006061
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006102
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006123
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006134
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006988
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246007025

When somebody figures this language out then they're on to something.This is a partial off one of my logs.Updating but I flew for days after that then one day Kaboom,max height 30m ,distance about the same but all is good now.

DJIP3cUpgradeManager status = INITING
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: 固件升级初始化Camera
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask task = Camera, status = INITING, msgId = MSG_ID_INIT
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: 恢复模式,等待相机推送升级数据Camera
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask task = Camera, status = UPGRADING, msgId = MSG_ID_RECOVERY
UpgradeP3cFtpModeTask i: 发送相机传输完成标记成功Camera
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246005006
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246005023
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246005055
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246005086
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006061
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006102
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006123
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006134
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246006988
UpgradeLog i: retry time: 1498246007025

where did this log come from? is this the firmware update log? is this a log on the device? this was from install? more context please :)

That is a partial off one of the 20 logs I took off my tablet just before I deleted the go App and reinstalled it.As I said I flew for days undisturbed after this log but one day my wings were clipped.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4