Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Forbidden

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by Count, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Count

I was reading the DJI Phantom Training Guide today, and in BOLD at the very beginning there were 3 major cautions. One was: "DO NOT fly the Phantom within a radius of 2 meters. FORBIDDEN" Can anyone explain what this means, and why?

2. OI Photography

I think they're just saying stay at least 6ft away from it when it's flying, can't figure out any other meaning for that.

3. dkr77573

Is it possible the signal strength from the transmitter can become an issue? (Signal clipping at the Rx)

4. ResevorDG

I think it means that if you fly it you need to travel outside of a six foot bubble or else the flight will be a waste of time :lol:

5. szobell

Lawyers. Don't fly close to you so you don't chop yourself up with the blades. (Ok - not just lawyers - that is common sense too ;) )

6. OI Photography

Might be. The signal strength does effectively drop a little bit in very close range like that, but I don't know if it's enough to potentially cause connection issues.

7. dkr77573

Lawyers would say not to fly within 2 meters of ANYONE, wouldn't they? :)

8. dkr77573

Ya, I'm just thinking back to my EE days, staring at signals on an o-scope. If you increase the amplitude, the signal gets clipped. From a command and control perspective, I'd think that might render the signal unrecognizable.

9. OI Photography

All I can say for certain is that the RSSI shows a noticeable drop when that close, but it hasn't dropped below 70% or so. I've definitely had the transmitter within that range of the Phantom while flying and never had any obvious control issues.

10. rotordan

it is possible. my personal experience does not bear this out. i routinely catch the p2v from a hover above my head rather than land it. this can be done safely by approaching from above the head and keeping one hand on the throttle. we prefer to have the spotter catch it, but i have done it several times solo. we find this much safer than landing in most circumstances.

11. El Rey

Same with me.

12. w0by

I'm pretty sure they are saying don't fly it too close to you, because it can chop you up pretty bad.

13. F6Rider

I think you are correct, in the manual it says the GPS deviation is 2 meters (6') Horizontal, meaning it can drift 6' in any Horz direction even in GPS lock, so if you are inside that range and not watching closely a puff of wind could blow the quad into you.