For those who have ordered the Zenmuse Gimbal

Reaction score
For those of you who have ordered the new Zenmuse gimbal, don't expect it to work with your Phantom without
ordering parts, and upgrading to Naza M V-2.

That does not mean you have to buy the new Naza M V-2 controller, but you will need a DJI V-sense / led module,
and a PMU-2, to convert your Naza M V-1 into a V-2.

Order your parts now, and perhaps you can install them all at the same time.

When I changed mine, I got rid of the main board, and the led/versatile unit, made a carbon fiber platform, with a power distribution board underneath. The Naza controller is in the original location, and the PMU-2 on one side, and the RX on the other side. The V-sense unit I put underneath the Phantom, so I can easily see the led, and connect the computer.

For those with a DJI radio, I don't know what all is needed for your 7th channel .

So, what is the real cost of the Zenmuse Gimbal?

Can you list the parts required and the price?

Darren

See below for what one retailer has to say on the matter of 'accessories'. As for the Phantom transmitter upgrade, if it's like the one DJI showed in the promo videos, it's a small post with a lever end that allow one to rotate the 7th channel potentiometer already inside the transmitter (but not used in stock configuration). Rotation of this pot controlls the pitch axis aiming of the gimbal. Unless it's changed, I would not describe it as a 'slider switch' since it is not a switch and it does not slide.
•PMU (Power Management Unit) upgrade kit if the gimbal will be used in the DJI Phantom. This upgrade kit provides the proper power to the gimbal. The stock PMU already in the Phantom will not provide proper power.
•Radio transmitter upgrade kit. This kit taps into the extra channel in the stock radio transmitter and adds a slider switch so that you can control the pitch (up and down) movement of the gimbal/camera.
•Various small tools (i.e. small screwdriver set etc.)
•A video will be available soon covering the entire upgrade.

So that is an extra £45 ontop of the cost of the gimbal then. It will be interesting to see how well they sell.
Personally if I was strapping £500 (or more!) of gimbal, a £350 camera & likely £50-£100 of FPV onto an quadcopter I'd want it to be a lot bigger and more capable of long flight than a Phantom can currently achieve.
A real shame as they look amazing!! Just wish DJI could have got it to a more consumer friendly cost.

I understand we need the PMU for Phantom+Zenmuse, but I haven't seen that we need "DJI BEC V-sense/LED = $16.00" like is mentioned above.

I understand we need the PMU for Phantom+Zenmuse, but I haven't seen that we need "DJI BEC V-sense/LED = $16.00" like is mentioned above.

What are you planning to connect the PMU to ? The Naza M V2 PMU works great with a Naza M V-2, but to make it work with
the Naza M V-1, you will need the V-sense / LED unit to update to V2.

If you look at the Zenmuse user manual, there is a pretty simple diagram that shows exactly what you need, and how to connect
it.

If you look at the Zenmuse user manual, there is a pretty simple diagram that shows exactly what you need, and how to connect
it.

In that diagram, isn't the LED board pictured the one that's already in my Phantom?

In that diagram, isn't the LED board pictured the one that's already in my Phantom?

No, it usually comes with an FW450 or FW550. It is a Battery Elimination Circuit, plus LED, plus connection to your computer.

You can actually get rid of your main board, and install a power distribution board for the ESC'S . and power connections you will need for the PMU, GCU, V-Sens units.

I made a custom carbon fiber plate to replace mine, with the power distribution board on the bottom. There is still room for the battery, if you do it right.

I'm just trying to let you guys know in advance, so you can prepare for it, and not be in a total bummed out state of shock
when your Zenmuse arrives..
Instead, be the one who installs, and used his new toy the day he gets it.

This is what I read in the Phantom thread on RCG mult-rotor forum:

With the Phantom you don't need a new LED/USB it is already a separate unit. Just wire in the PMU and GCU, the power leads can go to the main power or an esc connection. Connect the GPS and the H3-2D GCU to the PMU Can Bus. The PMU Can Bus now connects to the Naza. The only other connections are the H3-2D 8 pin connection to the GCU and the video out to a vTx.

So, that's contrary to what was mentioned above about the need for a new LED/USB unit when connecting Zenmuse Hero to a Phantom.

Not sure who's correct here. Anybody else know if this is something I still need to buy (on top of my already existing order for the Zenmuse and PMU)?

So.....

The part I have learned from all of this is

1. It's more than $700.00
2. It is not plug and play
3. There may be little difference except price between the Zenmuse and the $300 Arris, except price.

I'll stay here in the weeds until somebody has one, and can break it all down.

I am getting more disappointed in DJI. Promises are not being kept.

Still waiting for the magical jello free props.

D

CameraGuy said:
So.....

The part I have learned from all of this is

1. It's more than $700.00
2. It is not plug and play
3. There may be little difference except price between the Zenmuse and the $300 Arris, except price.

I'll stay here in the weeds until somebody has one, and can break it all down.

I am getting more disappointed in DJI. Promises are not being kept.

Still waiting for the magical jello free props.

D

+2 !!
My bet was Arris CM2000. I'm newbie in gimbal mess, so heres is what I can say from my Arris experience (5 days, 10 flights, testing in fast descends, agressive gust winds, fast yaws and climbs and combined with my FPV):

1) Real Plug and Fly (oops, read Play) :) Only 2 screws to join Phantom, then 4 "kind" rubber grommets to join main body, velcro camera attached. Then activation in Naza Asistant (Gimbal active with basic values).... Mirror test (As DJI's Zenmuse testers do), Wow... looks the same stable image. Total time was around 15 minutes for assembling and testing.

2) First flight tries: Great response no values changed, neither connected to Arris software yet.

3) Added value: Open shell and connect 2 wires to Naza FC F1 and F2 for Manual Tilt. Tested with Shapeway's 7th lever controller. +1 all worked fine. Shell closed. Lets Fly. (that was around 10 minutes more). So.... 25 minutes of "hard job", an My Phantom is flying with great gimbal + FPV. No soldering, no added buy, no spent time, That's Plug and Play for a newbie.

PD: Total weight with GoPro + FPV stuff + 2nd FPV camera + OSD (inside shell): 1160 grams (5-6 min. average flight time).

With the Phantom you don't need a new LED/USB it is already a separate unit. Just wire in the PMU and GCU, the power leads can go to the main power or an esc connection. Connect the GPS and the H3-2D GCU to the PMU Can Bus. The PMU Can Bus now connects to the Naza. The only other connections are the H3-2D 8 pin connection to the GCU and the video out to a vTx.

Well, if you think about it, it does make good sense. I was going from the diagram in the Zenmuse manual. But the manual is not Phantom specific, so you are most likely right.

The main board has the BEC built into it. The LED has the communications port, so the PMU2 should connect to the Naza, and provide the CAN-Bus for the Zenmuse controller, and a new place to plug in the GPS.

I may have been wrong about the V-sens / Led module.

My Arris experience didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped,. had to send the first one back... tho that was from an earlier batch the produced, but the 2nd gimbal i got is rock solid.... and guess I can't really complain since I've had two weekends of brushless gimbal fun while people are still waiting for their Zenmuse's.

I like buying quality products and might have considered the Zenmuse (and I actually felt like doing so when my first Arris was having problems). But the price savings was just too good to ignore.
Zenmuse+PMU+shapeways lever= $800
but for less than $100 more, you can get an Arris.. with a Futaba.. WITH a Fatshark FPV
(of on Hobby Wing's site,. for$800, you can get an Arris gimbal,. and then another gimbal with an entire quad attached to it!@#

-and yes,. where the F#$!#$ are those jello free props at?

The only reason I ordered the Zenmuse gimbal, is because my Fatshark Dominator package which I paid for on March 4 never
came in, and from what I understand, FatShark is still waiting for 1 component. So I switched my order to the Zenmuse gimbal.

Otherwise, I would have ordered one of the Arris models like you guys did. It seems like a great unit for the price, and there wouldn't be so many tears if something happens to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20