For those that charge, how much can you make per shoot?

Reaction score
Specifically relating to fully licensed and insured UK operators, I am wondering what kinds of revenue can realistically be made using a drone with camera? I am sure all kinds of work can merit different pay but just looking to get an idea.

Thanks

Al

We charge $3,000 to $4,000 per day thats flying a SkyJib8 with a Canon C300 on it for commercials and film work
Not sure what you could charge for a Phantom with a GoPro, perhaps $350 to $500 per day?

Yeah... I would imagine that Phantom work is never going to fetch that much in a commercial market. With all due respect to my friends here producing first rate stills and videos with their Phantoms, it's not really seen as commercial equipment.
There are folks making money with them, but that's with steady work... not per project.

If you really want to make money, you need to invest in one of the bigger platforms.

I made €4k from the video of pulling my son's tooth out :twisted:
Yeah the lads are right, don't look at a phantom and think you are going to make a good steady stream of income. It's a toy compared with what's available from a pro rig. My agent charges large media outlets €350-€500 to buy my videos to show online of in TV shows. The agency keeps 40% I get 60% but I had to do some risky flying and completely against regulations so I wouldn't advise this. I have a half day shoot for a low budget documentary next week. I'm charging €400 for the 4 hours plus travel expenses.

4k for 370k views, not bad...
but we'll need more than a pulling tooth to reack 100k views in you tube :)

in méxico (where i live) with a dji s1000 companies charge up to 3,5000 us for a 2 minute clip and four month campaing in facebook/twitter (im not sure what the campaing includes)
with a phantom + gopro a 4/5 mintue clip would go for 800 dollars, but if you find someone who pays 1,500 or 3,500 why not?

Thanks guys, yes it's all a real eye opener. I'm a P2V+ owner so do respect what you're saying about higher end gear. Good to get an idea and feel for the viability versus getting licensed/costs etc.

Thanks all

Al

Think about other aerial work as well.

I have been asked to carry out video surveys of various buildings - from churches to warehouses. As I am not currently licenced, I have declined, but there is a market out there.

It's such a shame we need a license to profit from this. But I understand that in some ways.

Good Question...
Are you profiting from your web page as a result of the video? I think, as you shot the footage for your own web page, that would be fine. You have not made money from the video as such???

The three-axis gimbals for Phantoms are game changers. The Hero 4 with 4k @ 30fps will further narrow the gap.

Sure, Hollywood will still use the latest high-end equipment, but real estate agents? construction managers? farmers? insurance companies? A phantom with 3-axis gimbal and a Hero 3+ or 4 will do the trick 90% of the time.

Another question springs to mind. I love making footage, even having just owned a drone for a few days. If I were to make footage and not sell it to 'whoever', does that get around the commercial use restriction? For example, if I wanted to film (with owners permission), a big stately home set in its own grounds, for use on their website for example? Or to feature some aerial footage in my friends music video, again free of charge?

Al

My understanding is even if you are not making any money your friends band is benefitting or profiting from your service because they otherwise would have had to pay for it. Listen just get out there, if you have the chance to make a few quid, go ahead and do it. I do all the time. Just stay under the radar of the authorities. Life is way too short to be living by the letter of the law. Safe flying.

How does one stay under the radar if said video is on public display, youtube for example?

AerialCinemaGuy said:
We charge $3,000 to $4,000 per day thats flying a SkyJib8 with a Canon C300 on it for commercials and film work
Not sure what you could charge for a Phantom with a GoPro, perhaps $350 to $500 per day?

Thanks for this. I'm looking to break into the market eventually. First on the low end, small, independent videos on the side. But the $350-500 per day number is right what I was thinking with a small GoPro setup. I already work in the industry and several friends were surprised at the quality a GoPro can get. It's more about the stunning smoothness of what would be a crane shot with the H3-3D gimbal. There's a niche market for the right applications I think.

Again you need a license to profit. And like the previous poster said, staying under the radar. That won't be easy.

Dont sell your self short. Too many people who are new to commercial photography and video production underestimate how much commercial clients are used to paying, and willing to pay. Someone quoted $350-500 for day with a drone. That is way too cheap. I have been a commercial photographer for over 30 years and have a degree from a university where i majored in film and video production.

When you set your rates, keep in mind, for every hour you can bill for, it takes another 4 hours running a business, testing, repairing, accounting, marketing, and so on and so on. You have to charge atleast $120 an hour if you want to clear, before taxes, $30 an hour after considering all the time you put into your business. Plus, you have expenses. Count on having to replace your drone atleast every 50 flights. Its not going to last as long as my nikon bodies and lenses. Factor in businness insurance. Higher self employment taxes, which means you have to put in twice as much into social security as salaried people. I charge $150/hr for conventional photography. I used to charge $180, but too many newbies getting into the business giving away their services for a pittance. My 3rd job with my Phantom, i was charging a golf course $250 per shot, times 6,shots. They were happy. I never shoot video with my vision+, i only shoot stills. I think it does a great if you shoot in raw and remove some noise.

I believe we should keep in mind, when setting prices that we are HELPING our clients make money. What he pays you, he will make back several times over, if you deliver good work. So be professional, and dont be so eager and willing to undercharge.

12 years ago, i wad charging $5000 for a 10 position vr tour, now so many people are practically giving it away. The corporations have gotten a huge price break, because some people hastily created a price war that doesnt make enough money to keep their VR business viable in the long run. The same thing will probably happen in aerial photography.

Ive gone on long enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31