For those of you wanting a GoPro 3 Black +

I wonder, though, how many can use the full resolution of a Hero 4. But, it has other goodies too. For now, my Hero 3 black is all I need. (Until I buy one of the new super resolution TVs!)

4K acquisition is not about playing it back on a 4K screen necessarily. I'll admit that I have one 4K display in my editing room set up. It's a 28 inch Samsung, and the black friday deals on it are $497.00.

Shooting in 4K - which I did all summer for an international broadcast network - I shot over 125 hours of footage - allows you to improve your images in 1080 HD. It also allows you to do things like panning, zooming in and out, and for those of us flying our 4K cameras, you have great ability to stabilize if you need to.

Now, I tend to only fly in under 15mph winds, but if you needed a shot at a higher wind speed, and even the magic that is the H3 3D can't give you an image that is rock steady, the 4 K image will allow you to stabilize in post entirely. I strongly recommend if you are going to spend $325 plus on an GoPro 3, go the extra mile and do the GoPro 4 Black. You won't regret the extra money in the end, as your editing abilities will improve.

Here's a link to my youtube page. There are a ton of 4K examples of things I shot this summer.

www.youtube.com/dbkcreative

Hope this helps

Darren

Had the Hero 4 been available when I bought my Hero 3, I absolutely would have purchased it! Since it wasn't available, I need to come up reasons not to buy it...until I can afford it!

CameraGuy said:
4K acquisition is not about playing it back on a 4K screen necessarily. I'll admit that I have one 4K display in my editing room set up. It's a 28 inch Samsung, and the black friday deals on it are $497.00.

Shooting in 4K - which I did all summer for an international broadcast network - I shot over 125 hours of footage - allows you to improve your images in 1080 HD. It also allows you to do things like panning, zooming in and out, and for those of us flying our 4K cameras, you have great ability to stabilize if you need to.

Now, I tend to only fly in under 15mph winds, but if you needed a shot at a higher wind speed, and even the magic that is the H3 3D can't give you an image that is rock steady, the 4 K image will allow you to stabilize in post entirely. I strongly recommend if you are going to spend $325 plus on an GoPro 3, go the extra mile and do the GoPro 4 Black. You won't regret the extra money in the end, as your editing abilities will improve.

Here's a link to my youtube page. There are a ton of 4K examples of things I shot this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/dbkcreative

Hope this helps

Darren

Great advice thank you! Feeling better about my Hero 4 black purchase :) Quick question - since you seem to have shot a lot with the Hero 4 black and the H3-3D. Which colour dampers do you use for the best stable footage? I'm just running a naked Hero 4 black (no filter etc.), with a balanced gimbal using the quarter/dime trick.

The footage I shopt was without a filter. I like to use and nd filer or a polarizer. Goodones are available from Polar Pro.

I have a perfectly stable H3 3D gimbal without the penny.

Happy shooting.

CameraGuy said:
The footage I shopt was without a filter. I like to use and nd filer or a polarizer. Goodones are available from Polar Pro.

I have a perfectly stable H3 3D gimbal without the penny.

Happy shooting.

Thanks! Lastly do you use the stock white dampers?

Hey guys not to change the subject but im looking to purchase the phantom 2 vision plus with the GoPro H3 or H4, one question i havent been able to answer is can you still use the H3 or H4 on your copter with FPV? I see the stock vision+ 30fps cam has the wifi setup for your phone but im having a hard time seeing if the GoPro will do the FPV also, i do a lot of film and would love to see the picture as its happening. Thanks guys!

BrownGuy said:
Hey guys not to change the subject but im looking to purchase the phantom 2 vision plus with the GoPro H3 or H4, one question i havent been able to answer is can you still use the H3 or H4 on your copter with FPV? I see the stock vision+ 30fps cam has the wifi setup for your phone but im having a hard time seeing if the GoPro will do the FPV also, i do a lot of film and would love to see the picture as its happening. Thanks guys!

P2V+ comes with its own gimbal and dji camera so there is no GP option (unless you want to put in the work to back into a GP). If you buy a stock P2 with zenmuse h3-3d installed, you add the GP camera and an FPV systems (video xmitter and IOSD of some kind (assuming you want telemetry data, a good idea), something on the ground (goggles, monitor) with built-in or separate video receiver) or an all-in-one dealio like a DJI Lightbridge and again goggles or monitor without need for extra video Rx you can have streaming FPV video and recording. In the former, usually SD, and the latter HD (1080p).

So, if ur new to this, the P2V+ is a great idea with excellent video quality and usability but not IMO as much fun (to put together and maintain) and as high quality as a GP solution.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong and, as always, YMMV ;)

Hi David, i am also in the same boat as BrownGuy, i have 3 questions please
1- do i get the same telemetry info from the mini iOSD as what i get on the DJI Vision App on iPhone? also do i get the same options (Radar, back to home, et al)
2- Can i record on the internal SD on the GP while flying or i need to have a video receiver connected to my goggles/monitor to record my footage?
3- If i go for the F2V+, does it have a real FPV with no video lag, or is kinda semi FPV with lag, for true FPV a half second lag can lead to big problems

thank you for the help

messiry said:
1- do i get the same telemetry info from the mini iOSD as what i get on the DJI Vision App on iPhone? also do i get the same options (Radar, back to home, et al)
I am not that familiar with the DJI IOSD products. I am positive though that you don't have those options at all. It is a read only system providing plenty of information but no additional features.
2- Can i record on the internal SD on the GP while flying or i need to have a video receiver connected to my goggles/monitor to record my footage?
Yes you can record to an internal SD card and most do. Best to get one that is certified by GP
3- If i go for the F2V+, does it have a real FPV with no video lag, or is kinda semi FPV with lag, for true FPV a half second lag can lead to big problems
There is some lag in all of them. I do not know what the various values are for different platforms but I do know that the LB is VERY fast and almost unnoticeable. Really a remarkable air and ground unit that provides significantly greater range on both video and control signalsj

thank you for the help

messiry said:

thank you for the help

1 - basically the same info, it just looks different... the Vision app is all flashy and colorful, the iOSD Mini is a bit more raw. Below is a picture I just grabbed from a random GIS showing basically what we see.. there's the GoPro's own OSD info underneath... the red indicating that it's recording, time remaining, 1080, etc.
then on top of that is the iOSD data... satellites locked, horizon bar, on the left is your battery level, height, distance, flight comp mode (GPS, ATTI), on the right is your descent/ascend rate
maxresdefault.jpg

2 - that's the whole idea, yes to record on the gopro's SD card. FPV is basically just for seeing through the gopro, getting the shot lined up, etc. doing a recording on the ground would yield a much lower resolution capture, kinda pointless unless you're worried about it going down and want to try to trace the footage

3 - can't help with this one I don't know how much the Vision+ models FPV lag, but I Can tell you the P2-non-Vision, gimbal/Gopro 5.8Ghz transmitter setup has basically no lag, out over 1km at least. I mean MAYBE a tenth of a second but it's not even noticeable really I feel like my FPV is live live

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4