For the sake argument, would this work?

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but i never really saw a clear answer.
Could you theoretically, take off from ground, land on a tall building 500M high, do a CSC to power off air craft, do a csc again to power on and climb another 500M from that home point etc,,, and keep doing this to all the way to mount everest's peak :) j/k

In theory, yes.
One thing I'm not clear on (I do not have a P3) is the resetting of the Home/take-off point altitude upon motor restart/lift-off without cycling battery power as well.

Waiting for someone else to chime-in.

Even it the tchnique would work (I have my doubts), wouldn't get you to Everest! Air's too thin! Not sure what the service ceiling is on a Phantom, but I'm willing to bet it's lower than 29 kft!

Reactions: Falcon900
Even it the tchnique would work (I have my doubts), wouldn't get you to Everest! Air's too thin! Not sure what the service ceiling is on a Phantom, but I'm willing to bet it's lower than 29 kft!

I know that ..the service ceiling for the p3 is 6000m above sea level.

Could you theoretically, take off from ground, land on a tall building 500M high, do a CSC to power off air craft, do a csc again to power on and climb another 500M from that home point etc,,, and keep doing this to all the way to mount everest's peak :) j/k

I'm not sure if it will work, but if it does, when you land on said tall building DO NOT DO CSC to power off. Just hold the left stick down for 3 seconds, CSC will sometimes cause you to tip over. You should never do CSC when you land, but especially if you are landing somewhere that you can't get to bird quickly

The problem with that scenario is that if you could land on the roof of the tall building, unless you manage to land right on the edge, you will lose line of sight and won't be able to restart.

Reactions: John Locke
Interesting question.

Could you just reset your home point at 500 M and then climb from there ?

Interesting question.

Could you just reset your home point at 500 M and then climb from there ?
I believe the home point might only be a GPS lateral point of reference and likely does not take altitude into account so I doubt that would work.

The home point is set at every motorStart. So I think this would work. Also, the home point altitude is set to be 20 meters higher than the baro altitude at motorStart. I suspect this is to insure that any barometric pressure increase during the flight doesn't cause an RTH to land lower than the home point.

Reactions: Oso

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20