For OWNERS of a Rotorpixel ?

Reaction score
I had one of the first ones delivered, so I've been using it for a while. Here's a link to two videos shot using it so you can see how the footage is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1vJNmyYcTE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-77HLKzVA (this one was quite windy). There's a whole bunch of Rotorpixel videos on my channel showing unboxing, installation, testing, etc, if you're interested - here's the playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 4Z1YQsBj-H

I recently got my Vision lodged at the top of a 90ft tree whilst testing too many things at once (silly boy). It stayed up there for a while until the wind got up and then came all the way down out of the tree. The gimbal didn't have a scratch. Not sure my Zenmuse H3-3D would have fared quite so well. I never had a problem with jello once I tuned it with the thumb screws (not difficult). It's very well built and strong. It isn't light, so your flight times will come down by about 5 minutes, but then again it's strong (see above) so I won't have to buy a whole new if it has a really bad impact.

Would I buy it again? Yes. Was it worth the wait? Yes. Have I tried any of the cheaper (or more expensive) Vision gimbals to compare it to? No. Am I happy with it? Yes. Am I looking forward to playing with the GoPro mount that's coming? Yes! :)

Hope that helps.

Its a loaded question. I personally think it was worth it. Its a great piece of kit, with little downside except for maybe weight.
Other Gimbals are not as adaptable or trouble free... SO FAR.

That may change as more and more options or choices become available.

If you want stabilized 2 axis video footage.... IMO currently, the Rotorpixel is the best available.

Its all realitive to your needs. Everyones needs and expectations are different.

2 cents

The Rookie

You are probably already aware from reading even a little of the other RP thread... But I think it is important to mention that RP is way behind on actual shipping. I placed my order on March 18th and still have not received; though it was supposed to ship this week and hopefully will. I am not hijacking this thread to complain; actually the opposite. I knew when I ordered what I was getting into and am still confidant that this is the best 2 axis gimbal for the vision.

For everyone considering this purchase please do not place the order if any of these apply to you:
You need it soon and can't wait 2-6 months
You are low on cash and can't afford it
You live in a country that does not have a strong postal system or does not like receiving packages from North America
You are just really easily irritated
You often ignore very obvious warning statement like the pre-order statement from RP

If none of these apply to you then order away. I can see that RP is getting things figured out and the "soon to be released" 3rd axis upgrade and go pro mount will seal the deal on this as the best gimbal option for the sadly older and abandoned by DJI, Phantom 2 Vision.

Something to consider when buying a $400 gimbal for Phantom 2 vision.
Why not sell the P2V and go for the P2V+ instead?
Pros of the plus:
3 axis gimbal compared to 2 of the rotorpixel.
lighter - much lighter than the rotorpixel.
and in addition:
further range, longer flight times, smoother video (in part due to the 3rd axis and in part due the lighter weight of the camera). - More 3rd party development on the plus such as software range boosters with loggers and pitch control, possibility to use a 3rd party gimbal with a gopro and still use the range extender etc. All these new feature are not yet developped for the P2V and some will never be - as who would buy a P2V today?
Con: gimbal is more fragile -

I ordered mine March 28th , I know it will be well worth the wait. I'm #997 so nearly there

Pull_Up said:
Am I looking forward to playing with the GoPro mount that's coming? Yes!

Simon,
I have been out of the loop for a while. Is there another thread or web info about this GoPro mount for the Vision?

Thanks!

Nothing yet - Keri mentioned the existence of a pre-production prototype quite a few weeks back, but quite rightly there was no further moves on that until the gimbal order backlog was sorted. Now they have moved to injection moulded parts and don't have a manufacturing bottleneck they are assembling gimbals at about the 120-150 per week level, so once the backlog is gone it looks like they'll be clear to concentrate on additional mounts, etc...

Just received mine, well thought out, easy to revert to stock condition, 5 min install if you dawdle :)
Well worth the wait, goodbye jellycopter :p

Tim.

Great to know about the new manufacturing process. I may have to reconsider the rotorpixel... I was beginning to lean toward the Cyclops as I didn't want the long wait.
From what I have read, the RPX appears to require very little (if any) adjusting after mounting.

I haven't messed with mine since I got it dialled in at the initial install... that includes after falling almost 90ft out of the top of a tree a couple of weeks ago and getting slammed into in a hawthorn bush whilst messing about during my Flytrex Live broadcast flight the other day. For me at any rate it's been fit-and-forget and it can take the knocks it seems, too.

Very happy with mine, only adjustment I'll make is a little bit of roll balancing.
Worked perfectly out of the box, I'm just a bit fussy :p

(gotta admit, I did throw it about like it was someone elses :twisted: )

Tim.

Luap said:
Something to consider when buying a $400 gimbal for Phantom 2 vision.
Why not sell the P2V and go for the P2V+ instead?
Pros of the plus:
3 axis gimbal compared to 2 of the rotorpixel.
lighter - much lighter than the rotorpixel.
and in addition:
further range, longer flight times, smoother video (in part due to the 3rd axis and in part due the lighter weight of the camera). - More 3rd party development on the plus such as software range boosters with loggers and pitch control, possibility to use a 3rd party gimbal with a gopro and still use the range extender etc. All these new feature are not yet developped for the P2V and some will never be - as who would buy a P2V today?
Con: gimbal is more fragile -

You forgot to mention
Con: gimbal is much more fragile

Plus, most of those new features are also available for the P2V... if you look. The "further range" is a non-starter if you use the RE700 extender.
And not only can I get a 3-axis gimbal (with or without GoPro mount), but I can print my own for a fraction of the cost of anything available for the Plus.

So, yeah... I still went with the P2V, even over the Plus... that's who. And I'll happily walk away with lots of extra money in my pocket (and not sweat as much if I happen to crash).

Airfix said:
ou forgot to mention
Con: gimbal is much more fragile

Plus, most of those new features are also available for the P2V... if you look. The "further range" is a non-starter if you use the RE700 extender.
And not only can I get a 3-axis gimbal (with or without GoPro mount), but I can print my own for a fraction of the cost of anything available for the Plus.

So, yeah... I still went with the P2V, even over the Plus... that's who. And I'll happily walk away with lots of extra money in my pocket (and not sweat as much if I happen to crash).

I was/maybe am considering a rotorpixel (I have a Chinese Gimbal but no 3rd axis) so still trying to figure the pros if I should go for it and wait 1-2 months (with fingers crossed for the gimbal and another few months for 3rd axis to come out (what will the cost for 3rd axis be? Certainly min. $100 ) or go another route.

You state increased range with RE700 - thats another $130 to the $400 Rotorpixel.
Furthermore, you still have the issue on camera side. The P2V+ has different WiFi module on camera side.
So the range will still not be at par with a P2V+ even with the RE700 (please prove me wrong). Furthermore the booster apps will probably not work well or at all with only the RE700 ( please prove me wrong) and neither will logging feature (please prove me wrong). Of course you could buy a Flytrex which is couple of USD more than the booster app. But that will increase weight to an already very heavy RotorPixel Gimbal.
You state GoPro mount? Can you FPV with a GoPro mounted to a P2V using the vision app? Not to my knowledge. Please prove me wrong as this is something I would really want.
However, it should be possible for the P2V+ "shortly". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIY7M8lD6CM
With this piece of kit you will be able to mount a number of aftermarket 3axis Gimbals to the P2V+.
Unfortunately it will only work on the P2V+ and they have no plans to bring it out for the P2V.

So what are my options? Upgrade my P2V which will be quite costly (at least 1/3 of the price of a P2V+) just to bring it it at Par with a P2V+ and still not enjoy most of the existing and coming 3rd party application, or buy a P2V+ and sell the P2V?

Unless I am proved wrong in my above, which I hope I'll be especially on using a Gropro, I can't see the point of investing in a gimbal and upgrades and still be sub par to the P2V+ in all fields except for robustness.

Um, you didn't get that quote from me Luap, no big deal, just saying for clarity.

Must add though, surely you'd have to add the cost of a new gimbal and go-pro to the P2v+ with the upcoming DRONExpert system, cool as it is.

Tim.

True but having a Goppro instead of the DJI camera would be worth it to me.
And having the DJI gimbal and camera as spare would be nice (or could always sell it).
I just hope drone expert brings this out soon so I can make up my mind :)

Sorry about the quote :oops:

I've had a RotorPixel gimbal on my P2V for a few months. I'm very happy with it. There was just a minor snag when I installed it, but since then it's worked great. I don't regret purchasing it at all.

I'm not sure how I would decide now, though, between adding the RP gimbal or upgrading to a P2V+ if I were in that situation. I think it would be pretty much "six of one, half a dozen of the other."

If the GoPro mount were available right now, it might swing my opinion towards upgrading the P2V with the RP gimbal. But, I wouldn't recommend taking that into consideration because we don't know when (or really, if) the GoPro mount will be available. And, I'm not really sure how often I'd want to fly without the "FPV" and control of the camera.

So, I guess I'm not much help if you're deciding between getting the RP gimbal or selling your P2V to upgrade to a P2V+. :)

-- Roger

I just received my Rotorpixel, new version, and it functions as well as everyone says they do. Great video, easy installation. Only down fall is the major cut in flying time from 20 minutes to 11 - 14 minutes. I also have a flytrex and a tk102 b attached so I know I have some added weight. I am banking on future battery improvements and the RPG being adaptable in the future. The pv2+ gimbal flimsy problems kept me away from jumping ship to that. Xmas is coming to dji will likely have something new out for December as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.