For everyone who has done the Firmware 3.1 upgrade...

Reaction score
Ok... You have a new spool up and take off that you love or hate... But all DJI products are moving this way so hope you enjoy it!

It looks to me like GPS lock maybe quicker then before, but maybe that was just me.

What has your experience with your Phantom flying firmware 3.1 been like so far?

jdawson said:
Ok... You have a new spool up and take off that you love or hate...

I'm thinking about doing the firmware upgrade today but am curious about this new take off. Do you love or hate it? Please describe how it is different than before.

Thank you.

Now the take off is more of an auto lift setup. Bring up the throttle past 50% and it will automatically bring the quad up into a hover. I will comment in just a bit as I'm fixing to head out to fly it in a few moments.

Takeoffs are smoother, but the throttle does feel a bit different. Now, if you pull it just a hair back from 50% it descends immediately whereas before I had to pull the throttle to around 20-30% to get it to come down.

It hovers nearly perfectly in place now :shock:

Fail safe switch works nicely.

Take off is good; different, but the take off as it used to be wasn't a manual take off either; now it's just a more pronounced fly by wire feature. I like how smooth it is, but wouldn't choose one over the other.
Throttle control is more responsive and precise; the phantom used to swing up and down a lot more before the upgrade, requiring constant corrections; now it will stay where you put it. Landing seems more easy too :) I've only tested indoor so far; Will try some outdoor tests tomorrow.

From what I heard it was not a phantom update but it still works? I'm afraid to do it unless it is for the phantom so keep us posted thanks

Thanks for the input. I will upgrade my firmware tonight and test tomorrow (weather permitting).

Can anyone post a direct link for the Firmware 3.10 download. I got the new assistant but cant find the firmware , jackass that I am......Thanks

Never mind, found it thanks

Reactions: lil boss
I guess it'll take some getting used to.
(i'll find out tonight).

Not sure if having Failsafe on the switch is a good or bad thing, might be easy to trigger, but guess recovery is quick.
I had used it on another channel with my Futaba, so guess it's kind of cool that I can now use that channel for something else.

I used to also notice how un-responsive throttle used to be while flying, I'd lower the throttle and then nothing, and then it would drop too far and I'd have to counter-correct.
So looking forward to what the new firmware is like

I believe the new firmware is a part of the new Assistant download.

There is a new video on how to install the software. It's dated 5/3/13, so it is the brand new word: http://youtu.be/c8tLZBshIR8

I re-installed both the new driver and the new Assistant, just to make a clean sweep of it. If you look in the list of downloads (software and pdf's) in the attached snapshot, you'll see that only the Assistant Software 2.10 is available as an .exe and the listing for the new firmware 3.10 is offset under it with no accompanying program file. That means to me that all you have to do is download the assistant and you get both.

Attachments

• Upgrade Snap;.tiff
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,190
Gizmo3000 said:
I used to also notice how un-responsive throttle used to be while flying, I'd lower the throttle and then nothing, and then it would drop too far and I'd have to counter-correct.
Glad I'm not the only one that had that problem. Drives me batty.

Gotta get the new firmware loaded.

Jakethedog said:
From what I heard it was not a phantom update but it still works? I'm afraid to do it unless it is for the phantom so keep us posted thanks

The one released a few days ago was not. However the one released today is. No worries about downloading the wrong one. When you plug in your phantom and turn on the new assistant 2.10 it will recognize the phantom and should walk you through it. Just make sure to do an advanced calibration at the end and recheck all your settings.

I just did the update,. and flew 5 "sorties" (both regularly and with FPV)
and so far I think I like it!
My Phantom does appear to fly a bit smoother (I have a heavy Phantom so I bumped up the gains a bit after trying it out at the defulat values (100% at first, now at 130%).

The new takeoff is a bit different to get used to, but I don't mind it whatsoever. kind of makes sense tho that it would take off at over 50%

the new LED blinks have kind of thrown me a curve,. it now distinctively blinks green a dozen or more times to indicate Home position has been set (at least, that's what I think it's indicating)
and then if I manually try to set it it seems more responsive as well.

one thing that does have me somewhat confused tho is that after the initial flight I started getting double-green blinks.
- even with my Tx on the ground (Futaba T8J)
I ran the Tx calibration in the Naza (and doing Advanced Calibration now for the sake of it), but I'll have to look into it.
seems to fly perfectly fine with the double green blinks, and then in the air it was a single green blink.

I did the upgrade yesterday and went for a fly :
I join Gizmo3000 in saying that the new throttle handling make sense to me and the throttle response is better.
My Phantom is hovering with less drifting.

It is not a Phantom firmware update. Was not even made for it. My dJi assist will not even update the firmware at all. I get the message of a firmware upgrade, but takes me to the DJI M 2.2 assist not the Phantom one.

So how are you guys getting this firmware update, not using the offical Assist software designed for the Phantom. that does not say a new Firmware, other then the big message when turning it on, and takes you to a completely different DJI assist software and firmware, so not risking bricking my Phantom with non Phantom firmware.

Did see on the official DJI Phantom facebook page, stuffed his Phantom by downloading this. Please correct the heading for this thread as it's non Phantom firmware, and don't know how you guys are getting this through the Phantom assist software at all.

You risk problems not using official Phantom firmware updates.

People read this thread assuming it's a Phantom firmware offical update, but it's not a Phantom update, thereby risking harm to your Phantom.

My Phantom will certainly not update through the Phantom DJI assist software.

denodan said:
It is not a Phantom firmware update. Was not even made for it. My dJi assist will not even update the firmware at all. I get the message of a firmware upgrade, but takes me to the DJI M 2.2 assist not the Phantom one.

So how are you guys getting this firmware update, not using the offical Assist software designed for the Phantom. that does not say a new Firmware, other then the big message when turning it on, and takes you to a completely different DJI assist software and firmware, so not risking bricking my Phantom with non Phantom firmware.

Did see on the official DJI Phantom facebook page, one guy stuffed his Phantom by downloading this. Please correct the heading for this thread as it's non Phantom firmware, and don't know how you guys are getting this through the Phantom assist software at all.

You risk problems not using official Phantom firmware updates.

People read this thread assuming it's a Phantom firmware offical update, but it's not a Phantom update, thereby risking harm to your Phantom.

My Phantom will certainly not update through the Phantom DJI assist software.

Denodan,

relax

take a chill pill

DJI has made NAZA-M Assistant Software "universal" for all it's products using the NAZA-M - so the same software and firmware now works the same in F550, 450, 330. AND Phantom.

click on this link,. the OFFICIAL page for Phantom software
http://www.dji-innovations.com/download ... downloads/

download Naza-M Assistant Software v2.10 on that page

update your Phantom Firmware to v3.1

enjoy

So you got to download the Naza M assist instead, and new drivers? Or does it use the Phantom Driver?

Just download 2.10 Naza assist, and have now upgraded the firmware, so seems with every new firmware update, you need the newer version of assist also?

Just doing an advanced Calibration now, will charge Phantom battery and try it out tonight. Sounds like a vast improvement?

Does GPS still drift in a rectangular pattern? Or hold better?

Gizmo3000 said:
one thing that does have me somewhat confused tho is that after the initial flight I started getting double-green blinks.

The second green blink now indicates your sticks are not centered. Before takeoff, move your throttle to 50% (center) and you'll notice you just get one blink now.

This will be nice when flying to indicate you are not climbing or descending, but holding altitude.

Great upgrade, everything is much smoother and more responsive. Notice when you first start off, the light patterns are different. Does a flashing sequence of orange before even finding satellites. Finds them quicker and warm up is a lot quicker I think. Landings and takeoffs better.

Turns quicker, slightly less drifting, gps seems more stable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31