For anyone interested - Tray system for Controller and additions

Reaction score
The P3S controller in standard config is light and easily held. A neckstrap gives a bit more security and also allows freedom of one hand.

Once you start adding range extender antenna systems such as Argtec / DBS - the unbalanced controller makes itself known. Add a tablet and the unbalanced nature is plain. Yes - I agree many people live with it and no problem. I do usually.

But then I decided that I wanted to add Boosters and extra battery to power them. I could have hidden the boosters inside the controller case - but they need air circulation over the heatsinks.
The battery chosen just not quite fits in there. I also need a 5V uBEC to power the 2.4Ghz booster.

So a decision was made to modify a standard Tx tray designed for Rc Tx's ... I chose the 9xr tray from Hobby King as I have 3 9xr radios and I can use it for those as well.

The idea is to create a DJI Controller adaptor to fit the tray so I can use for any radio.

Here's my tray at start :

I then marked out and cut a lightweight 6mm Depron plate to fit the holding pins in the tray ...

Once in - it sits quite secure on the pins.

3 strips of Velcro provide the Controller hold arrangement as you see ..

Controller in place. Note that all antenna have been removed as two will be mounted on the tray separately and one of the 2.4 flat Argtec's stay with Controller...

Here are the extra parts to fit to the tray, main 5.8Ghz booster with standard Argtec stick antenna, 2.4Ghz booster with its supplied stick antenna, LiFe 6.6V 1700mAh battery and 5V 5A uBEC.

This is the expected arrangement once parts fitted to tray (I left out the second 2.4Ghz plate antenna for clarity ..

Here you can see the sunshade in place resting on the neckstrap rods with ample room under to allow hands in for controller sticks etc. (The tablet holder seen here will be removed).

The whole affair is on adjustable neck strap and is comfortable, tray hangs level, and bot hands free to do whatever required without controller banging about on end of strap etc.

I can lift out the foam plate and still use for my normal RC radios ...

The controller having its antenna basically removed and connected via fly leads on the tray means it slots into bag straight away.

The tray was about $35 all in shipped .. not much more really than a good tablet holder ...

Not everyones cup of tea I accept ..

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan