Follow up on my previous posts on the Phantom 3 Camera

Reaction score
If you recall I wrote about the camera technology used on the P3 series, pricing and a few other issues on DJI products......

A quick look back to my expensive P3 Adv with crappy image quality. I knew something was wrong but could not prove or confirm my suspicions because it is expensive or difficult to have a few test cases to test.

From my 1st posts to my current situation I managed to sold my 1st P3 Adv and I managed to replace that with a P3 Pro. I also had the chance to buy a P3 Adv camera on the 2nd hand market at a great price. That I fitted to a P3 Adv body I had.

I can confirm that the image & video quality on these two drones are a day and night improvement on my original P3 Adv. Make no mistake, the quality is still not anything close to a LX7 from Panasonic or something like the LX100....... As discussed before the P3 / P4 cameras are really basic in design & construction and extremely limited.

Bottom line is DJI has not mastered to produce products at consistent quality. If you own a P3 or P4 with poor image quality, return it to DJI. Images should be clear, sharp with no obvious image problems...... Image quality at the corners of the frame will display softness or a slight color degrade.......this is typical of the design & lens quality used in the Phantoms, no need to return or ask for a better copy.....

I included a copy of the image I had from my initial P3 Adv so you can see what to look for if you think your Phantom might be subject to poor manufacturing......

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 333
Is this post for information to us or you want others to contribute in some way. I don't see questions from you.

I also have experienced differences in 2.7k and 4K DJI cameras and I feel great with 4K camera, reason: don't know haha

@Photofun, as I have stated in many posts in this forum and others, my Phantom 3 Pro has been perfect in every way. No aberrations or visually unflattering pics. Yes, these cameras are limited in their ultimate abilities. But for a light weight drone camera their 4K video and 12mp images are quite good. I have a 36mp Nikon D800 with a few decent pieces of gold ring Nikkor glass. Ah, so I know that my P3P images aren't going to compare or compete. But it would take a very expensive drone, to carry my heavy D800. ;-)
Settle for decent video and alright pics for the convenience of getting aerial views of my world. Compared to most other drones in this relative price range, nothing else truly can compare.
Even if @dji release a Phantom 4 Professional model... I am still going to be smiling, with my awesome P3P.
I hope you are more at ease with your drone, Now that you have a camera that works as it was intended...

RedHotPoker

Wow that image sample from the first camera is remarkably bad. I think you have an inspire sitting on the ground but it is a guess.

Pleased you have a good couple of units in the air now. Yours is probably the worst example, or rather the best example of the worst I recall seeing.

And somebody happily purchased it? It's a wonder they can see where they are flying let alone get any images of any use to anyone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20