"Follow the Leader"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ride along with Phantom 3 Standards "Miss Ruby" & "Darth Videous" on an epic 7.2 mile night flight high above the city of Baltimore!

DISCLAIMER:

Dirty Bird Videos creates videos out of sheer joy to demonstrate the amazing possibilities achievable with DJI's "Phantom" series quadcopter aircraft. These videos may be unsuitable for some audiences. Anyone meeting the following criteria is strongly advised to refrain from watching Dirty Bird Videos:

If you are a s-s-stickler for rules & always adhere to them, it is strongly advised that you do not watch. If you find yourself uncontrollably compelled to post comments about "breaking rules" whenever reading messages, watching videos, etc., do not watch. If you find flying beyond VLOS or at night disconcerting, do not watch! If you are upset by flying over houses, buildings, roads & bridges, vehicles, watercraft, spacecraft, Area 51, people, nesting eagles, & just about any other critter that swims, slithers, creeps, or crawls, do not watch! If you become upset when watching documentaries of predators catching & consuming their prey, do not watch! If you cry easily, do not watch. If you suffer from incontinence, IBS, or are a bed wetter, do not watch. If you do not believe the Honey Badger is one of the meanest MoFo animals on the planet, do not watch! If you like to play with live spiders, watching Dirty Bird Videos is probably safe, however, if any of the other conditions apply view them at your own peril! If this disclaimer has missed your specific issue & you find you have been offended in any way by viewing a Dirty Bird Video, immediately stop watching the video, do not view again, & don't tell anyone you watched! This is for your own sanity! In some instances Dirty Bird Videos may choose to provide a complimentary box of Kleenex tissues. No liability is offered for offense, mental or physical anguish, loss of appetite, projectile vomiting, or chronic diarrhea (AKA "the grizzly shits"), or spontaneous combustion, caused by viewing a Dirty Bird video. Dirty Bird Videos have been known to cause cancer in laboratory mice. Persons prone to epileptic siezures risk irreversible brain damage & are strongly advised not to watch. A small percentage of Dirty Bird video viewers have engaged in spontaneous seppuku. Dirty Bird Videos reserves the right to modify this disclaimer at any time.

Last edited:
Amazing.

Was this using mission planning?

That is one of the most amazing drone videos I have seen. Tell us more about it. I'm amazed you didn't lose signal flying through the city buildings. What was your furthest distance? Flying a stock P3? P4? Using FPV? Was your friend flying the same type of drone? It looked like his lights changed at one point in the flight. I gotta say I am very impressed.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
from what we can see on the leader led, is it switching to ATTI mode manually or something ?

we can see the blinking green light switch to yellow, any explanation ?

I will still please need some explanation about different led blinking color ?

sometime GREEN, YELLOW et event RED !

Thank you so much! It is a pair of stock P3 Standards flying autonomous Litchi missions. Both are mine & I'm doing it alone (security guy was just a curious observer). I am not actively flying the birds they are running my programmed mission. The rapid yellow indicates the bird has lost connection with the RC. Kind of sweet for keeping track of the bird! The long red pulses a couple minutes in are an NFZ proximity warning for two stadiums about half a mile to the west. Furthest point out is ~2.25 miles with a total mission distance of 38,200' (7.2 miles). The actual mission runs ~15 minutes & the birds return with ~30% battery remaining.

I only wish I could have been at the Inner Harbor to watch them fly in. I bet it looked so cool when they were spiraling the WTC building! :cool:

That is one of the most amazing drone videos I have seen. Tell us more about it. I'm amazed you didn't lose signal flying through the city buildings. What was your furthest distance? Flying a stock P3? P4? Using FPV? Was your friend flying the same type of drone? It looked like his lights changed at one point in the flight. I gotta say I am very impressed.

Last edited:
Thank's for that clear explanation.
This is why i love this forum, to learn and look at some unbeatable video !

congrats and thank's for sharing, it's really appreciate, even here in Canada (Montréal, Québec) :)

Was this the first run of this mission? or had you perfected one and adjusted the other?
Just curious, as I have yet to try Litchi.
You certainly nail it.
The security vehicle was a nice touch for the ending.

"Follow the Leader" is the evolution of my attempts to recruit local Phantom pilots to participate in "Harbor Shot Squadron Run.". Same concept on a less risque mission. I didn't get many signs of interest so I flew that one by myself with 3 birds & a 4th RECON bird. . It worked but the timing wasn't right & managing four birds alone is a handful.

Finally found a fellow pilot to join in & we decided to do it based on the more advanced "Baltimore Run" mission. The solo B-run has been tested nearly 100 times. "Follow the Leader" is the third attempt at the multi-bird mission.

You can find footage from all these runs in various revisions on my YouTube channel (Schtuperman)

Was this the first run of this mission? or had you perfected one and adjusted the other?
Just curious, as I have yet to try Litchi.
You certainly nail it.
The security vehicle was a nice touch for the ending.

Reactions: dbmoss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1