FOLLOW ME!

I did this last night. Not ground breaking video but just wanted to show how it looked. I actually lost contact at one point. Drove back and restarted the Follow Me mode and it just started up again.

Reactions: JoeyJoe
Long version, but here's a follow-me from family property at night. We were on ATVs with the P3P following. I purchased an iPad Mini 2 cellular for follow-me, worked very well. I was also able to do followme using android (other video on my youtube).

so did you used android to record your screen display?

kind of shaky and a lot of weird movements from the phantom.. question here.. How does the phantom figure out its orientation? is the compass data on your mobile device also relayed to it for orientation? in this particular instance i was moving a lot with the controller which may or may not have contributed to the weird yawing and swiveling.

Just like with any GPS device, the system dont know what position you are in or where you heading until you move. The easiest way to experience this is in a boat. When you start you plotter, your boat seems to turn around all the time while parked as it swings gently. After you move, the device can see which way you are flying and in this case, Phantom 3 can follow you. If you stop or turn around 180 degrees for example, Phantom will not understand immediately which way you are and will therefore start turning, trying to orientate the heading. As soon as you again pick up speed - it works. As it knows your heading, it knows where to stay so that its behind or aside all the time (dont know if this works btw - Blade Chroma has this tracking follow me though).

I believe these FM features will improve a lot in coming months and there will be devices for DJI systems also, that will allow follow me use without needing to have the DJI Go app or smartphone as the tracking point. We are living interesing times as DJI finally opened the SDK environment for developers late spring, so I do believe we will see a lot of interesting and open minded solutions that will change the way we use these drones.

Gotta say I am not into the fixed cam bird but all the vids I have seen this feature is pushing me to a P3 :D
Very cool

Nice video, Mal. You definitely tested its abilities.
I have to say that I initially was holding my breath that you didn't crash as a result of driving on the wrong side of the road! Then remembered you blokes do that all the time. ;)

I did this last night. Not ground breaking video but just wanted to show how it looked. I actually lost contact at one point. Drove back and restarted the Follow Me mode and it just started up again.

Very cool and nice neighborhood too.

I just got my Garmin Glo a couple of days ago and had the chance to test it yesterday and was very disappointed. I am using an iPad mini 3 wifi only model updated to iOS 9.0.2 with a P3P with the latest 1.4 firmware.
When I was testing the whole setup with the Garmin Glo at home (without flying) I noticed that the DJI Pilot App would get sluggish and freeze every now and then and the video feed would break up into cubes and sometimes go away and the screen would go blank and the status bar would give a "disconnected" message. I thought that this was because of my proximity to the wifi router at home and next I headed to the field to test follow me mode and setting the home point to my location. Follow me mode worked perfectly and I was able to set the home point to my current location but the app was freezing and the video feed was getting broken again same as it was doing at home. I turned off bluetooth on the iPad and the problem was gone, everything worked perfectly again!
I gave it a lot of thought and I believe it is not that the bluetooth transmission that is affecting the lightbridge link between the transmitter and aircraft since its power is negligible. Apparently the iPad is using a lot of resources in order to process the external GPS data string causing the Pilot App to hang!
Has anybody had a similar experience with the Garmin Glo?
Any solutions/suggestions?

P3 Pro, using samsung galaxy S6 Edge, only adjustments I made were to the gimbal wheel once moving.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik