Follow-me

Reaction score
So I don't normally discuss new software before it's ready and this is really in the early stages of proof-of-concept but it's SOOOO cool to see this working I couldn't help myself!

I hope you don't mind me talking about it!

Follow-me, as I define it is a flight ability of the Phantom to maintain camera angle on you (the pilot) and follow at a distance (either defined implicitly by when you start the mode or explicitly through configuration). Just the suggestion of this to a few pilots I've talked to makes them excited.

Well, I'm here to report some program I've made in implementing Follow-me in the Ultimate Flight app that many of you have either downloaded or have been following.

I have a rudimentary implementation of follow-me working in a proof-of-concept app. The 1st test was a simple one; take off, rise to an altitude and maintain camera point on the pilot. As I move around the Phantom it tracks bearing and it WORKS!

Now, curtailing my excitement to seeing this work for the 1st time I must say that this is a likely a few weeks out; rainy weather has set in making live testing a challenge but initial tests are very encouraging and I couldn't help but to gloat a little bit that I might actually be able to get this working.

Thanks for letting me share some excitement!

Ken

CapnBob said:
Nice!
Any new info on: "Motors on--->App crash?"
Lollipop 5.1, Nexus 4

Unfortunately not; DJI isn't always the fastest to respond especially when they have news. I send the devs another question again today (their Monday) but I've heard nothing back.

Congrats on the follow-me!

Does it follow the controller I'm guessing?

flyNfrank said:
Congrats on the follow-me!

Does it follow the controller I'm guessing?

It follows the device (aka, Phone/tablet), not the controller.

Nice feature! Let us know when it's ready to download/try out. I'd be interested for sure.

Toss in the ability to save waypoints and reload them while you are at it. :)

Hi Ken,
First let me say "Loving your work" !
I have a question on the "Follow Me" option.... Does it self adjust the camera angle (up & down) depending on altitude of the bird to actually point to you (the device), or just point to the bearing and the user adjusts the camera angle accordingly?
Thanks
Kev

Well i was sat on the fence with whether to buy this app or not, but imagine being able to walk round a large area and have a drone follow you round, quite an interesting feature, Kenargo you suprise me again.

Dam DJI (dont joke idiot) why cant you be as up to date with users needs as this guy.

I'd much rather read about what you are doing then the countless posts about flyaway's, crashes, ESC versions.... :)

Keep up the great work!

Ken,
I know I should know this (but I don't). Sorry. Is your app out now and if so, Android or IOS?
Thank you,
Paul

rbhamilton said:
Nice feature! Let us know when it's ready to download/try out. I'd be interested for sure.

Toss in the ability to save waypoints and reload them while you are at it. :)

Save and load waypoint flights is most certainly on the list!

Can't Wait To Test, Just Purchased The App As I Had Been Using The Trial / Beta.

Follow Me Would Be Awesome, Are You Going Include The Option Of Side On And Front On Eg Follow You But In Front Or On The Side.

I personally think a trial/demo version of the app would go a long ways in boosting usage of your app. There are so many compatability devices out there with so many different Android devices. Some folk don't want to spend $10 only to find later that it doesn't work on their device.

kenargo said:
So I don't normally discuss new software before it's ready and this is really in the early stages of proof-of-concept but it's SOOOO cool to see this working I couldn't help myself!

I hope you don't mind me talking about it!

Follow-me, as I define it is a flight ability of the Phantom to maintain camera angle on you (the pilot) and follow at a distance (either defined implicitly by when you start the mode or explicitly through configuration). Just the suggestion of this to a few pilots I've talked to makes them excited.

Well, I'm here to report some program I've made in implementing Follow-me in the Ultimate Flight app that many of you have either downloaded or have been following.

I have a rudimentary implementation of follow-me working in a proof-of-concept app. The 1st test was a simple one; take off, rise to an altitude and maintain camera point on the pilot. As I move around the Phantom it tracks bearing and it WORKS!

Now, curtailing my excitement to seeing this work for the 1st time I must say that this is a likely a few weeks out; rainy weather has set in making live testing a challenge but initial tests are very encouraging and I couldn't help but to gloat a little bit that I might actually be able to get this working.

Thanks for letting me share some excitement!

Ken

Ken,
I have been following several guys with the same ideas as yourself, but they have not been successful to the point I would use their program... Anyway I very interested in your idea & program!!!! I have to use a "POWERCHAIR" to get around while flying 75% of the time...and I thought it would be great if I had the "Follow Me" option while cruising around in a area with my P.C.
Hit me up on my PM....I would Luv to hear about your deal....

Moose

djsydvicious said:
I personally think a trial/demo version of the app would go a long ways in boosting usage of your app. There are so many compatability devices out there with so many different Android devices. Some folk don't want to spend $10 only to find later that it doesn't work on their device.

Google give you 2 hours from which to purchase and app and return it. The store doesn't have a time-limited beta functionality, not that I have found but if I come across it I would certainly consider taking your suggestion under consideration.

kenargo said:
djsydvicious said:

Google give you 2 hours from which to purchase and app and return it. The store doesn't have a time-limited beta functionality, not that I have found but if I come across it I would certainly consider taking your suggestion under consideration.
I thought it was a 15 minute return window. That must have changed.

Either way, I purchased it yesterday while I was at work. Did not pay with it until today.

I think I need to go back through the comments. I have some issues that I how will be resolved.

I will post in the thread that discusses the app.

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20