Follow me on p3

Where would the controller be stored in order to remain in contact with the P3? In the boat? If so, simply have the P3 follow the boat at some distance and keep the skier in the frame. IMHO, none of these Follow Me function are suited for water skiing. The P3 is just not design this way.
You seem to be way over thinking it, and way under-thinking it concurrently. Think of a kayaker, a runner, a snow skier. All the tracking device needs to report is the coordinates of the target. On board functionality can track this. The controller is at a stationary location providing overriding/adjusting inputs if necessary. This scenario is an additional level of sophistication for sure, but there is nothing in regards to the P3 design that would invalidate this sort of thing. Of the objections you state, the one issue which certainly holds validity is latency...and I suspect that is a difficult one to overcome. But as indicated at least one developer is working in it (we'll have to wait and see its degree of real world applicability), and certainly there are implementations where it makes sense to separate the follow target from the controller.

Wild Willie, welcome to the forum.
Please post a video of your app feature.

Thanks

RedHotPoker

It may be in the app, but it is not functional I assume?

Wow, never tried it. Just saw it in the app.
Wild Willie, welcome to the forum.
Please post a video of your app feature.

Thanks

RedHotPoker
I don't know how to take a picture of it but it is on the left side of the screen just below the take off logo and the return to home logo.. Looks like a tear drop with a P in it. When you touch it you have the choice.

It will be released when they have it ready... No sooner.

RedHotPoker
I would venture to say it will be released before it's ready and then after about 2 or 3 updates it will be ready . Just like everything else . But don't get me wrong I'm not complaining I love my p3 no doubt it.

Wild Willie, a video, show us you using the feature. No pictures.
Or take a screen snap, press the home button and power button at the same time and release. ;-)

RedHotPoker

You seem to be way over thinking it, and way under-thinking it concurrently. Think of a kayaker, a runner, a snow skier. All the tracking device needs to report is the coordinates of the target. On board functionality can track this. The controller is at a stationary location providing overriding/adjusting inputs if necessary. This scenario is an additional level of sophistication for sure, but there is nothing in regards to the P3 design that would invalidate this sort of thing. Of the objections you state, the one issue which certainly holds validity is latency...and I suspect that is a difficult one to overcome. But as indicated at least one developer is working in it (we'll have to wait and see its degree of real world applicability), and certainly there are implementations where it makes sense to separate the follow target from the controller.

I'm not over thinking it.

This "tracking device"... where is it going to send it's signal? The _only_ thing that communicates with the P3 is the controller. So the controller _always_ needs to be within range of the P3.

So how far are your going to kayak, run or snow ski before you are out of range of the controller? Where are you going to leave this controller that it's safe and still pointed at the P3?

It was mentioned that a cell connection was better then carrying the controller with you and having the P3 follow it.

what phone call are you talking about? modem? what year are we in??

You don't think your cell phone has a modem in it? It's not the big thing with two acoustic couples on it... but it's a modem. What we call it is not important though.

I'm talking about the phone call that TAZ stated was used instead of a data connection to a server.

I would say it will be in the next app update.

There is even a sneak peek's of waypoint feature shows up in this video a couple of times.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wild Willie, a video, show us you using the feature. No pictures.
Or take a screen snap, press the home button and power button at the same time and release. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I tried, pushing the power and the home button with the P3A powered up and powered off and got the same results. Nothing! Anything else?

Hahaha, yeah, you and me both.
Show your cards, or Stop pulling my leg... ;-)

RedHotPoker

I would say it will be in the next app update.

There is even a sneak peek's of waypoint feature shows up in this video a couple of times.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Frank- how long has the beta testing been going? Any revisions? This may give us an idea when we could expect it.

This "tracking device"... where is it going to send it's signal? The _only_ thing that communicates with the P3 is the controller. So the controller _always_ needs to be within range of the P3.
No argument here. Adding a secondary tracking device (ie another phone with GPS) in no way changes the need for the primary controller and its attached display device to be within range of the P3. However, if the secondary tracking device utilizes cellular communication, it would not require it to be within WIFI range of the controller and its attached display device.

So how far are your going to kayak, run or snow ski before you are out of range of the controller? Where are you going to leave this controller that it's safe and still pointed at the P3?

As long as the individual holding the controller is within range of the P3 (also moving themselves if or as needed), there is no conflict or travel distance limit of the tracked object. Perhaps the pilot is on their own circling boat...perhaps they are located downhill from the skier, perhaps they are standing in the middle of a track as the targeted followed object is running around them. The point here is this additional level of sophistication described allows for the object to be followed to be separated from the person operating the controller. Think of it as a melding between POI functionality and follow functionality. It allows for following a moving POI rather than a stationary one, that is not the pilot holding the controller. It allows for the followed object to move separately from whomever is operating the controller, but doesn't limit or require the movement of the pilot in any way (provided the pilot stays within range of the P3 of course). You would "leave" the controller in the hands of the pilot that is operating the P3.

It was mentioned that a cell connection was better then carrying the controller with you and having the P3 follow it.
. I think you misunderstood the benefits described. Instead of a Follow function always being forced to follow the device attached to the controller, other developers are also working on additional functionality such that the P3 follows a target that is NOT the pilot/controller/attached display device. Utilizing cellular communication between the two devices (the tracking device, and the display device) could be better then relying on wifi (typically 100ft range limit) for GPS location relay.

In simplest terms instead of the bird told the GPS location of the pilot holding the controller to follow, it is told the GPS location of the tracker carried by another and follows that. It doesn't eliminate the pilot holding the controller...it adds functionality for someone separated from the pilot/controller to be followed.

Reactions: Toddzilla and SENC
Frank- how long has the beta testing been going? Any revisions? This may give us an idea when we could expect it.

This round has been a little over a week now, for only one of the two formats. There is numerous revisions. This is the one we've all been waiting on. The format I don't use has everything in limbo right now. It has not even been able to begin testing yet. So once both formats are finished it's generally 10-14 days later and they'll be published. If anyone has to ask what we're talking about here, it's a book.

Reactions: Hono

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.