Follow me on p3

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know when dji is planing to release the follow me feature in the dji go app for iOS?

Tomorrow at 8:00 am MST... Don't be later than 8:30am MST
Quantities and sizes are limited... First Come First Served.
No returns after Expiry period. Limit four per customer.
Reserved items can be picked up at the Customer Service Desk.

Why would anyone tell you? It's Top Secret, Official Entry Pass required.
I could tell you, but then, I would have to kill you. James Bond style.
Shaken, not stirred. Hahaha

Your question, is on every one of our minds, every waking moment.
We think of nothing else, but new and exciting Apps and FirmWare upgrades.

Go fly a battery and relax... It will get here when they feel it's right.

RedHotPoker

It will be released when they have it ready... No sooner.

RedHotPoker

giphy.gif

Annoying huh?

Reactions: Hummer
It's actually rude, to Continue hammering away, asking the same question, over and over. This is officially none of our business.

Surprised these threads aren't combined into one big thread, or deleted.
That was my reason for the silly outburst above.
Which may get erased soon. Why are those features so desired?
POI, Follow Me, and others. School me... Turn this thread into an instructional session..

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I want to know "HOW" this is supposed to work.. Am I supposed to strap the remote onto my back when I'm riding my bike or something?

I ryde a SpYder RS-S and want my Phantom 3 Pro to Follow me.
Wondering how will I accomplish this safely and without complication? Where does the RC go? In the front storage area, or strapped to the rear passenger seat?

RedHotPoker

I ryde a SpYder RS-S and want my Phantom 3 Pro to Follow me.
Wondering how will I accomplish this safely and without complication? Where does the RC go? In the front storage area, or strapped to the rear passenger seat?

RedHotPoker
It's actually super cool. Doesn't require a RC or GPS at all. The developers have hacked into the NSA database (explains what the Russian and Chinese hackers have been working so hard for) and utilize the unique token ID of all foreign nationals and follows their stored Lat/Long. Unfortunately it doesn't work for US citizens because it is illegal for the NSA to track US citizens without a search warrant. [emoji33]

You can see a Russian posting of their implementation here:

I want to know "HOW" this is supposed to work.. Am I supposed to strap the remote onto my back when I'm riding my bike or something?
That would be one way of doing it. In the past the home point has been updated to the controllers current condition and the Phantom flies to that new location. This is how Follow Me worked. I suspect it will be the same.

That would be one way of doing it. In the past the home point has been updated to the controllers current condition and the Phantom flies to that new location. This is how Follow Me worked. I suspect it will be the same.

That's not really "follow-me" ..... Follow-me is as noted, you basically have to carry the remote around - the phone's GPS tells the remote what the GPS coordinates are and sends it to the bird.

However, wait until you see what the Litchi developers have come up with... they've made it possible to use a 2nd smart phone as the GPS source.. so instead of carrying around the big remote/usb/phone - you can put a waterproof cover on your smartphone, run a small app (android and IOS versions will be available), and go about skiing, boating, biking etc. Also, instead of just "follow-me" and "watch-me", you can have the bird be in front of you, to the side of you, etc. you can have it following you while filming someone else (follow you on boat, but film the waterskier)

When will it be released? Probably at the same time that DJI releases its update - every 3rd party developers is waiting on DJI to release a public firmware which fully supports the SDK.

Reactions: bimmy and SENC
That's not really "follow-me" ..... Follow-me is as noted, you basically have to carry the remote around - the phone's GPS tells the remote what the GPS coordinates are and sends it to the bird.

However, wait until you see what the Litchi developers have come up with... they've made it possible to use a 2nd smart phone as the GPS source.. so instead of carrying around the big remote/usb/phone - you can put a waterproof cover on your smartphone, run a small app (android and IOS versions will be available), and go about skiing, boating, biking etc. Also, instead of just "follow-me" and "watch-me", you can have the bird be in front of you, to the side of you, etc. you can have it following you while filming someone else (follow you on boat, but film the waterskier)

One phone would still need to connect to the phone that is connected to the controller. WiFi would be the limitation so you'd need to be within 300' or so of the phone connected to the transmitter. Can't see this being useful doing the things you mentioned.

One phone would still need to connect to the phone that is connected to the controller. WiFi would be the limitation so you'd need to be within 300' or so of the phone connected to the transmitter. Can't see this being useful doing the things you mentioned.

WIFI would be limited... fortunately, this doesn't use wifi for communication...

WIFI would be limited... fortunately, this doesn't use wifi for communication...

So how would one phone transmit data to another with a longer range? Only other way I can see this happening is one phone transferring data to a serve and that server transferring it to the other phone. In that case you'd need two phones with a data connection and I' imagine there would be somewhat of a delay. With that complicated set up, I think updating the home point and carrying the controller would be much easier.

So how would one phone transmit data to another with a longer range? Only other way I can see this happening is one phone transferring data to a serve and that server transferring it to the other phone. In that case you'd need two phones with a data connection and I' imagine there would be somewhat of a delay. With that complicated set up, I think updating the home point and carrying the controller would be much easier.
Using cellular communication of course. And no, separating the flight controls from the follow target transmitter is MUCH more functional. That means one person can control the Gimbal elevation...potentially control bird altitude, for example...and of course be the one that is hands on with the controller in case of emergency. Much more safe and functional.

Reactions: tomtnt
Using cellular communication of course. And no, separating the flight controls from the follow target transmitter is MUCH more functional. That means one person can control the Gimbal elevation...potentially control bird altitude, for example...and of course be the one that is hands on with the controller in case of emergency. Much more safe and functional.

Bingo... I've tried riding my bike carrying the controller with finger on the emergency kill switch - not very safe and functional.... plus- how would you even carry your transmitter into the water for water skiing??

I have my doubts about this in all.

So.... I need to have the controller and phone set up and within range of the P3 at all times. I then need to be able to have an app dial the phone connected to the controller (so I need two phones). That phone needs to pick up the call and use its modem to transfer the commands to the controller. The P3 then either needs to launch or have been flying in the meantime.

Bingo... I've tried riding my bike carrying the controller with finger on the emergency kill switch - not very safe and functional.... plus- how would you even carry your transmitter into the water for water skiing??

Where would the controller be stored in order to remain in contact with the P3? In the boat? If so, simply have the P3 follow the boat at some distance and keep the skier in the frame. IMHO, none of these Follow Me function are suited for water skiing. The P3 is just not design this way.

I have my doubts about this in all.

So.... I need to have the controller and phone set up and within range of the P3 at all times. I then need to be able to have an app dial the phone connected to the controller (so I need two phones). That phone needs to pick up the call and use its modem to transfer the commands to the controller. The P3 then either needs to launch or have been flying in the meantime.
what phone call are you talking about? modem? what year are we in??

I will demonstrate this weekend and post a video for you..

Reactions: SENC and TAZ

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20