Follow Me mode?

+1 for being a great idea, we already have a wifi link between our phones and the Phantom camera, is there a link with the actual control system? I know the Parrot AR Drone has a fololw me feature that uses a symbol (a bit like a QR code) that the camera can recognise and follow. Possibly a bit less complex than using GPS?

Stufft said:
+1 for being a great idea, we already have a wifi link between our phones and the Phantom camera, is there a link with the actual control system? ...
Pretty sure the phone app is capable of full 2-way communication with the onboard flight controller. I haven't tried it, but there's already a feature in the Vision app where the phone's accelerometer controls the aircraft's yaw. That tells me the phone app can definitely communicate with the flight controller. And phone-app-to-flight controller communication will obviously be needed for the upcoming Waypoint feature, too (someday, maybe...).

Don't worry Phantom pilots. "Follow Me Phantom" is coming soon. I am planning on having the version 1 released in the coming couple months. It takes user input like follow distance, position and height and will follow a user while keeping the camera trained on them. It will be available in the Apple app store for iOS. You can follow the progress on http://www.followmephantom.com and get updates on tested functionality and release dates. Stay tuned, follow me functionality is going to be fun on the phantom.

Today was the second time in one week where complete non rc people asked me about phantoms and follow me mode. I said it's just a matter of time and software. But as a long time rc guy, I have about as much interest in it, as I told them, as cleaning toilets. To a flyer, operator, rc pilot or whatever we call ourselves, what's the point? Ok, I'm up on the mountain skiing every other day, but after filming myself a few times, its a "that's me again, skiing down the mountain, one fixed filming angle, blah blah. Then there is that tree in the way of my 1000 euro quadcopter. I told both of these non rc folks this and they were like, yeah, I don't see the point either. Maybe a cheap *** 200 euro drone to follow you ok. But a 1000 euro, gymballed, fully controllable drone to follow you, hmmm, nah. Nice in theory, will be done, but not for everyone. And say, fifty of these, every day on the mountain? With trees and lift cables everywhere? Anyway, let's see where it progresses and I'll have about as much interest in it as sitting in a Porsche or Ferrari with hands off autopilot. Now if I were really into watching myself doing stuff on my mountain bike or skis to no end...... But I find it interesting how this interests complete non rc people with zero experience having ever controlled anything by remote other than a television.

Yeah, I think there is a demand out there. Now here is the kicker. Where I live, on any given day, there are about 4000 people on the slopes. I'd say at least 15% have a gopro affixed to their helmets. Could be more. If just one percent had a phantom following them how would the air traffic situation work out? Keep in mind that in a follow me situation not one of those would be under conventional human control. This is far beyond fpv issues of non goggle situational awareness. If those units were hubsan x4 h107 sized, ok. But phantom sized is a different ball game entirely. If one thinks that these idiots giving the hobby a bad name with utterly irresponsible flying can spell a quick end to what we here love, this would be an end - of - the - hobby express ride. But again, me, I'm a flyer and enjoy being in full control of my machine which more often than not has saved me from a crash. Follow me mode is something a lawyer would come to truly love. Especially if that lawyer lived in a ski resort like I do.

bighi said:
Yeah, I think there is a demand out there. Now here is the kicker. Where I live, on any given day, there are about 4000 people on the slopes. I'd say at least 15% have a gopro affixed to their helmets. Could be more. If just one percent had a phantom following them how would the air traffic situation work out? Keep in mind that in a follow me situation not one of those would be under conventional human control. This is far beyond fpv issues of non goggle situational awareness. If those units were hubsan x4 h107 sized, ok. But phantom sized is a different ball game entirely. If one thinks that these idiots giving the hobby a bad name with utterly irresponsible flying can spell a quick end to what we here love, this would be an end - of - the - hobby express ride. But again, me, I'm a flyer and enjoy being in full control of my machine which more often than not has saved me from a crash. Follow me mode is something a lawyer would come to truly love. Especially if that lawyer lived in a ski resort like I do.
I agree. To me it seems unsafe.

I own 2 Phantoms (v1.0 and v.2.0) and recently added an Iris+ and a Yuneec Q500 to my drone collection. Both the Iris+ and the Q500 have "follow me" modes. Pretty cool options IMO. Of course there are are times and geographic areas where you would never want to use the feature. But pretty cool if you're a mountain biker in the desert, or a boater wanting to film the skiers you tow and still be able to pilot the boat with your full attention. In fact I strapped my android phone on my Greyhound and had the Iris+ follow him as he ran around a 40 acre dog park. Both the Iris+ and the Q500 allow the operator to make adjustments while in follow me mode, like change the angle, the distance from the subject, the perspective, etc.

As an old RC pilot myself, I really enjoy piloting my toys, but I also really appreciate the advances in technology that allows me to do things I never thought possible just a few years ago.
A buddy has the Pebble brand watch (which the Iris+ can be programmed to follow), we are going to strap the watch on one of his giant scale warbirds and have the Iris+ follow him in the sky.

I think almost every Phantom owner secretly wishes DJI would do a software update allowing their products to have this feature!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31