Follow Me mode with the remote in the car ?

Reaction score
Is it safe to use Follow Me when the remote and the phone are inside a car ? I mean because of all that metal. I know that the compass screems compass error when I put my Phantom near the car but can remote work with no problem or I need to hold it outside somehow ? Any experiences ?

Yeah, Duct tape it to the trunk lid, and off you go... Hahaha
Seriously though, yes Of Course you can use Follow Me with the RC and device in the automobile. How else would that feature work. Can you talk or text in the car? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Well you have a point there :) I forgot that Lightbridge is also like GSM on frequency.

But I meant also about iPhones GPS precision and compass errors, I dont want to experience any flyaways :) I looks scary how Phantom giver compass errors when near the car.

You are actually talking about two totally different aspects of your drone though... ;-)
You aren't calibrating your compass while you're driving the car are you? Haha
Fear not, go forth and have fun. Like it was meant to be... Ha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Karanba
Be very careful. If you drive too fast, the P3 won't be able to keep a constant distance. There have been posts here about people who have driven too far ahead. If you are too far ahead and go around turns, the P3 can cut the corner rather than following the turn over the road and hit a tree or power line. Also, if you lose control signal while you are ahead in a car, the P3 will initiate a RTH and you might not be a position to safely stop and turn around. Just a couple of examples to keep in mind if you decide to do it.

Can it be done? Yes. Is it safe? Depends.

It's very easy for the controller to lose a connection due to the metal sounding it (the vehicle). If you have your P3 set to RTH when this happens, it's going to fly to where you took off. This might be 5 miles away. As it can't fly 5 miles (in most cases), it will try and than start to land at 10% battery... no matter where this is. Also, once you lose connection you'd need to jump out of the vehicle right away to try to regain the connection. If you can't, see above.

Again... you asked if it was safe.

Yes it works fine, actually works really awesome !!

As for the return to home deal, set it for dynamic rth, which means it will use your phones gps location rather then the take off location.

Reactions: Karanba
We did this in an off road razor once and it worked as expected, but we had nothing obstructing our GPS. That said, I would consider testing the GPS reception first. Use an app that can track realtime movement. I have observed GPS can have you on a road one moment, then in a field or worse (a building) next. When this happens you think flyaway, when it is actually just going where it believes you to be. Another option would be to use a visual tracking app like Litchi.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes it works fine, actually works really awesome !!

As for the return to home deal, set it for dynamic rth, which means it will use your phones gps location rather then the take off location.

I've searched high and low online for dynamic RTH in the P3 and apparently doesn't exist. How are you doing it?

I've searched high and low online for dynamic RTH in the P3 and apparently doesn't exist. How are you doing it?

Sorry , it's in the litchi app, dynamic home point , sets your home point for wherever you move, so while in a car the little h for home point moves ever second or so.. really cool

I've done this once and they only way for my drone to "see" my remote was with it out the window. Anybody else?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20