Follow Me Mode Voids your Phantom Warranty?!!! Wow, just Wow

If you took the time to read instead of making accusations you would realize it wasn't firmware but an issue with the app. We fixed the issue and submitted a new app to Apple to fix the issue. Even then that's still not good enough for a few!
you are the first one to say fixed the problem glad to see that cause on dji forum always say no problems

Reactions: captainmilehigh
you are the first one to say fixed the problem glad to see that cause on dji forum always say no problems
Its funny how people always want things NOW. As problems arise, get reported, get investigated, code gets reviewed and testing is done to find the problem, what do people want DJI to say? What does any company that puts out software say? Generally nothing. Then a patch or SW update comes out to fix the problem. The real issue here is that there are a lot of impatient users, who go out and install new SW/firmware the second it is released, then HOWL with indignation when there is an issue. If you are one of those users, why not take a nice chill pill, sit back, wait to see what the verdict is on new releases, and then install it a week later if it turns out to be stable, etc.

How many folks here install the app via side loading, because they do not want to buy a tested and approved device? There are dozens of threads on this. Is it DJI's responsibility to test their app on all these other devices that they do not list as approved devices? How many different combinations of different hardware, OS versions in the Android world are there? tens of thousands by the time you do all the permutations. Yet a problem with SW is discovered, and when a fix is not out the next day a very vocal few are whining and crying and gnashing their teeth about the horrible job that DJI does with their releases. Could they be better? Sure, but I don't know of a single company out there that could not do better on this issue.

Reactions: blade strike
Blade Strike:
Is there any way to tell preflight or "pre follow me" that this could be an issue?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Download a GPS app and check and make sure you have solid gps data on the device.

Hey BladeStrike, we appreciate all your help with all this. We just get impatient sometimes. [emoji12]

...blade strike... If you and DJI come up with a self check on the mobile device gps and safety features as mentioned above in the diagnostic post please pass it on. Thanks.

Its funny how people always want things NOW. As problems arise, get reported, get investigated, code gets reviewed and testing is done to find the problem, what do people want DJI to say? What does any company that puts out software say? Generally nothing. Then a patch or SW update comes out to fix the problem. The real issue here is that there are a lot of impatient users, who go out and install new SW/firmware the second it is released, then HOWL with indignation when there is an issue. If you are one of those users, why not take a nice chill pill, sit back, wait to see what the verdict is on new releases, and then install it a week later if it turns out to be stable, etc.

How many folks here install the app via side loading, because they do not want to buy a tested and approved device? There are dozens of threads on this. Is it DJI's responsibility to test their app on all these other devices that they do not list as approved devices? How many different combinations of different hardware, OS versions in the Android world are there? tens of thousands by the time you do all the permutations. Yet a problem with SW is discovered, and when a fix is not out the next day a very vocal few are whining and crying and gnashing their teeth about the horrible job that DJI does with their releases. Could they be better? Sure, but I don't know of a single company out there that could not do better on this issue.

Great post. I would like people to understand that DJI isn't perfect nor any other drone manufacturer. We do strive to provide the product for the price.

For you guys that don't know me let me give ya a little background. I have been doing this for dji since 2013. I don't do it for the money, I'm an IT manger for the city. I do this because I believe in DJI and have tried most if not all other flight system and or AC. While not perfect they are still the best you can buy for the money.

I'm back on this site because I want to be and always had fun here. Please understand that if you have a question please tag me in it, since this is not my main site.this will help me make sure I answer question directly and as fast as possible.

Thank you for your support!

...blade strike... If you and DJI come up with a self check on the mobile device gps and safety features as mentioned above in the diagnostic post please pass it on. Thanks.

They are trying to figure out how to do this and not kill the performance. The future will be things like active track since it doesn't rely on signal from other devices. Worst case, the copter will just lose the target and go into a hover.

To the extent you modify, alter or add something other than an approved accesory you shouldnt expect warranty to be honoured if you suffer damage or loss that might be reasonably attributed to the subject addition or modification. This is by no means unique to DJI.

If, for example, the gimble guard was installed in a way that the ultrasonic sensors recorded an incorrect altitude and that was shown to have contributed to a crash you may have an argument on your hands.

I have a standard so no ultrasonic sensors...I still do not understand how something like a gimble guard would completely void a warranty. If anything it would, I think, provide safety and strength to the skids and camera/gimble.

I am trying to spread the information anyway I can. Hope it's something:[LINK REMOVED]

We took care of this user, why don't you explain that?!

This is the problem with some on this site. It's always the sky is falling but don't take the time to read?!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I don't read the f*ng thread. I don't need to. .
I think you should if your going to comment .
Also if you wouldn't mind tone it down a little .
Thank-You

We took care of this user, why don't you explain that?!

This is the problem with some on this site. It's always the sky is falling but don't take the time to read?!
Because some people don't care about the facts. They simply want to blindly lash out, without taking the time to think. Funny how someone can say "I am not judge or jury", yet they will surely tell everyone within earshot that DJI is evil and is mistreating their customers.

What people fail to understand is that it is not as simple as "if you use follow me, your warranty is void". No, I'm pretty sure that if I am using follow me, but while doing that I suffer catastrophic failure of an arm from cracking, that will be covered. However, if I am using follow me and I am not careful with the function, and I have the P3 follow me right into some obstruction...yep, that is not covered. That is pilot error.

Last, with a function like follow me, if a device is providing inaccurate GPS data which causes the A/C to fly to a location that causes a crash, yet the pilot does not disengage the mode and resume control of the A/C when it is obvious it is doing something you are not expecting, is that DJI's fault or pilot error? I would say pilot error. I would also say you need to follow the guidance that you use the mode in an area that is wide open and free from obstructions, especially as your are trying it out and learning how to use it. Yet how many stories do you read on here (not saying this is the case with the OP, just in general) where a noob unboxes his P3/P4, runs outside, and is trying out things like follow me on their second or third flight? Yet they have no idea what the FAP switch really does, how the different modes work, how RTH works or how to disable it after it engages, etc. And then they get all indignant when the data shows that the A/C was doing what is was supposed to do, and they simply did not take control back when things were going south. Folks need to remember and understand that they are pilot-in-command even if they have turned over the actual flying to an autonomous mode, be it follow me, waypoint flying, etc.

I'm glad that the OP was taken care of here. I really am. But I am personally a bit frustrated that no one seems to want to give DJI ever the ability to look at the logs, see what really happened, and be OK with calling user error exactly that....user error. Everyone seems to want to find fault with DJI, regardless of what the logs say, and demonize them for calling out user error. It seems that is hard to wrap our head around the fact that people make mistakes all the time, but somehow its the companies fault anyways. Does DJI deny claims that they shouldn't. Absolutely they do. Name a company that doesn't. But more and more I am hearing that they are getting better about revisiting a claim and changing their stance (as it appears they did in this case).

Reactions: DJI-Blade Strike
I am running a business that actually include warranty custom built computers, so from a business perspective I disagree about being blind, or "knowing nothing". What this user/employee mostly demonstrates is how some cases, or this particular one were handled, poorly from the beginning and running a business, selling machines with warranty, I shouldn't have to read a bunch of comments to figure out that this customer weren't treated right. That is all. Doesn't matter much how many points you score, the client is all and all should never feel this kind of despair.

Thank you, and I will keep it up if that's okay :)

Reactions: flpholt
P.S I have replaced parts that I easily could've charged the customer for but since it only took me less than half an hour, cost me nothing, which in turn got me a ton of recommendations and soon after that, you guessed it - more clients.
That's my stance - as a business owner and customer support, and I hope that ends the haters. Capitalism can work even if you have a positive and humane approach to customers. I promise ;)

Yes it can, but the way that any company is going to handle that is through higher prices, which eventually will also affect their competitiveness. I guess we will simply have to disagree, but I don't believe that it is the companies duty to warranty pilot error. BTW, warrantying some computer parts that perhaps you didn't have to is significantly different that warranting every case of pilot error that I am guessing DJI sees. Orders of magnitude different from a volume perspective, and i'm sure from a cost perspective as well. Also, a company that has grown as fast as DJI has grown is prone to significant growing pains. Perhaps this was mishandled at the beginning, but it was also rectified, which you seem unwilling to acknowledge as a sign of improvement.

Reactions: DJI-Blade Strike
The price is high because the quality is high. And the price hasn't gone up in my business because if I tend to earn clients with a positive attitude towards customers then why would the costs go up? The small amount of fees I put in the replacement part I easily gain ten times over when the client shares the feel-good story with friends and family. That's good business. Small and big scale. The price isn't controlled by fees or costs in drone business, gees, mate. Supply and demand in a tech business is promotion, quality and patents. Now I don't think that. That is a fact, statement from a business owner.

so what did dji due for him must of missed that

Reactions: Slimbo
And from a goliat perspective I have actually turned my back on almost all companies that grew too big to value customer support. People whom doesn't know who Bill Gates are could probably tell you that they moved their customer support phone center overseas, now do you think that is a good or a bad example of what happens when the product is considered more valuable than customer relations? I can't stress enough, never allow a customer to despair if you can afford to avoid it. It will never benefit either business or customers. What a weird way to conduct business if you actually live what you teach, I must say. o_O

I am all for warranting a product, but I am not for warranting a users misuse of said product. You seem to feel that every time someone crashes a Phantom, that its in DJI's best interest to replace it, free of charge, all in the name of customer satisfaction. With this type of product, that would be foolish at best. Where would it stop? 1st crash, 2nd, 10th?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic