Follow Me Mode Through Canyon / Top of Mountain

Reaction score
Tested out the new Follow me Mode in a Canyon today, it did pretty decent near the top of the Mountain, but through the canyon itself I only had a few spots where I actually got enough gps signal to use this Feature.
0:09-0:18 of Video- No Following, just showing you the road I was testing on.
Speed of Car- 15-20mph for entire video.
Drone was 175 feet away from me.
The only things I did manually was I adjusted the gimbal to keep my car in the frame and then once I adjusted the elevation, because I got nervous around some trees.
all in all worked very good!

That's great. I just downloaded updates so ready to test it out. Quick question. Does the craft maintain its original orientation from the start of follow me being engaged. For example. If you place in front of your car or to the side or rear, will it maintain that same orientation? Also, if you input manual entry to reorient, will it continue through following in the newly oriented position. Say you started out with it chasing you but wanted a front shot so you reposition in the front of your car. Also, if it's following, can you input yaw for example to modify the angle of filming?

Reactions: Gerald Lee
Tested out the new Follow me Mode in a Canyon today, it did pretty decent near the top of the Mountain, but through the canyon itself I only had a few spots where I actually got enough gps signal to use this Feature.
0:09-0:18 of Video- No Following, just showing you the road I was testing on.
Speed of Car- 15-20mph for entire video.
Drone was 175 feet away from me.
The only things I did manually was I adjusted the gimbal to keep my car in the frame and then once I adjusted the elevation, because I got nervous around some trees.
all in all worked very good!
This is where an external BT GPS, paired with the tablet, will offer significant performance gains over the internal cellular GPS in the tablet. The Follow Me feature is completely dependent upon the GPS location data received by the tablet. The Bad Elf 2300 (pricey at $250, but the best) receives both GLONASS and GPS, just like the P3P, and is used by private pilots with their WiFi only iPad Air 2's for 1 meter location accuracy. It also fits in the palm of your hand, with a digital readout of elevation above sea level and accuracy, and has a barometer, too. The Follow Me subject can carry just the Bad Elf, while you stay within BT range with the RC, out of sight but still in LOS of the P3P to control the camera. Cheaper external BT GPS's are available from Dual, but are a hockey puck in size, and offer no digital readouts.

That's great. I just downloaded updates so ready to test it out. Quick question. Does the craft maintain its original orientation from the start of follow me being engaged. For example. If you place in front of your car or to the side or rear, will it maintain that same orientation? Also, if you input manual entry to reorient, will it continue through following in the newly oriented position. Say you started out with it chasing you but wanted a front shot so you reposition in the front of your car. Also, if it's following, can you input yaw for example to modify the angle of filming?
That's what I want to know, too!:cool:

Yes to all of that. The P3 maintains the same perspective to the controller initially where you place ot and where ever you move it to after that. Up, down, left, right, forward or back.

Im pretty sure it does everything that you pointed out, I havent gotten a lot of chance to play with it but I was able to adjust where it was following me during flight (not in the video just walking around) so I moved it from following behind me to following to the side of me. Hopefully I get some more time to figure everything out

This is where an external BT GPS, paired with the tablet, will offer significant performance gains over the internal cellular GPS in the tablet. The Follow Me feature is completely dependent upon the GPS location data received by the tablet. The Bad Elf 2300 (pricey at $250, but the best) receives both GLONASS and GPS, just like the P3P, and is used by private pilots with their WiFi only iPad Air 2's for 1 meter location accuracy. It also fits in the palm of your hand, with a digital readout of elevation above sea level and accuracy, and has a barometer, too. The Follow Me subject can carry just the Bad Elf, while you stay within BT range with the RC, out of sight but still in LOS of the P3P to control the camera. Cheaper external BT GPS's are available from Dual, but are a hockey puck in size, and offer no digital readouts.
Thanks for the information really helpful I will have to try that out

Yes to all of that. The P3 maintains the same perspective to the controller initially where you place ot and where ever you move it to after that. Up, down, left, right, forward or back.
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification! Can't wait to try it myself!:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl