Follow me mode not working

Reaction score
Hi all, quick question...
I've just upgraded to a P3A from a P3S and took it out flying this evening...what a difference!!!
My question is, has follow me mode stopped working? I switch to F-mode, select Follow me, set the altitude (blue) and the low battery setting, but nothing happens??? My P3S used to turn and face me and follow the controller. The Advanced stayed put and didn't turn around. I'm using the same tablet as I used on the Standard and am stumped!!
The other F-modes work fine.
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy tab S2 on 4G. The controller and drone are all on the latest FW and GoApp is the latest version too.

Not sure if this is a known problem??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I rarely use follow me, just annoying that it doesn't work!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Actually it's not following your RC but the gps of your tablet. Is your tablet gps ON?

Hi Ken, yeah. The altitude turned from red to blue. Think I was about 50' up. It must be something to do with GPS, but on the P3S you connect using wifi not cable, not sure if that makes any difference. It's a 4G tablet and has location set to on...it even loaded the mini map in, which it never did on the Standard. I always had to cache the map before connecting up.

It's no biggie that follow me doesn't work, just a bit irritating

Hi all, quick question...
I've just upgraded to a P3A from a P3S and took it out flying this evening...what a difference!!!
My question is, has follow me mode stopped working? I switch to F-mode, select Follow me, set the altitude (blue) and the low battery setting, but nothing happens??? My P3S used to turn and face me and follow the controller. The Advanced stayed put and didn't turn around. I'm using the same tablet as I used on the Standard and am stumped!!
The other F-modes work fine.
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy tab S2 on 4G. The controller and drone are all on the latest FW and GoApp is the latest version too.

Not sure if this is a known problem??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I rarely use follow me, just annoying that it doesn't work!

Andy, I have the P3A and just the other day I decided to try follow me and it worked just like it is supposed to. I was using an LG Stylo or Samsung Note 4, don't remember which. I ran around in the soccer field like a fool and my 'pet' dutifully followed me. I have a couple of Samsung TabS LTE tablets also which I thought would be great because of the big high definition screens, but the GPS in them do not work nearly as well. For one thing they do not see nearly as many sats. The screen isn't as good in daylight as the phones either. I also tested orbit and it was OK too.

Reactions: Andy Roberts
Hi Kirby, thanks for that...I'm going to try with my iPhone6 later to see if that makes any difference. I'm just confused as to why follow me worked perfectly with my P3S and the same tablet, but not on the P3A!!
Will take my "pet" out later and see if he's as well behaved as yours![emoji23]

Bit of an update....I posted on the DJI forum and was informed that 2.9.0 was the latest version of the go app and I was using 2.8.4.
On this version the drone turns to face me and follows like it should, however this was at around 50-70 foot up. When I tried again at 100+feet, it turned to face me, then as I moved, it flew off in the opposite direction!!! Had to switch back to P mode to stop it.

Not sure why this is...I never had this issue with my P3S, however I did have video feed range issues and would lose video at 100+ feet altitude.
Is this normal? Does "follow me" have an optimal height to work at? I was never able to test follow me at higher that about 70' with my standard. At 100+ feet with the Advanced, it's a lottery as to which way it goes...

Any thoughts folks?
Not a massive issue as 50-70' is plenty, but if ever I'm lucky/brave enough to get it to follow me on a bike, car or boat, 70' may be a bit limiting!!!

Bit of an update....I posted on the DJI forum and was informed that 2.9.0 was the latest version of the go app and I was using 2.8.4.
On this version the drone turns to face me and follows like it should, however this was at around 50-70 foot up. When I tried again at 100+feet, it turned to face me, then as I moved, it flew off in the opposite direction!!! Had to switch back to P mode to stop it.

Not sure why this is...I never had this issue with my P3S, however I did have video feed range issues and would lose video at 100+ feet altitude.
Is this normal? Does "follow me" have an optimal height to work at? I was never able to test follow me at higher that about 70' with my standard. At 100+ feet with the Advanced, it's a lottery as to which way it goes...

Any thoughts folks?
Not a massive issue as 50-70' is plenty, but if ever I'm lucky/brave enough to get it to follow me on a bike, car or boat, 70' may be a bit limiting!!!

Hi Andy,
I have issues with follow me as well. I have P3P with Ipad mini4/Cellular. I know you have to be at least 30 feet up. I got it to work once a few days ago. Still having issues with the follow me. I know its a function of the Ipad GPS. your mobile device must have clear GPS communication for follow me to work. I'm going to turn off my phone and ipad wifi to see if that makes a difference as well. one of my RC heli buddies who is an IT guy tells me Wifi can interfere with GPS. let you know how it goes. FYI-have you tried the intelligent orientation. VERY COOL!!

Reactions: Andy Roberts
Thanks Gixxer55....will try putting my phone in airplane mode whilst using the tablet.. I'm just confused as it all worked fine on my P3S....wonder if it's an app/firmware issue??? We all know what DJI are like for admitting there's a problem!!!
Let me know your results and I'll do the same!! I'm also gonna try using my iPhone instead of the table to see if it makes any difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers