Follow me help!

Reaction score
I need help with the follow me! I get my drone up and set to follow me, walk around and the drone follows and moves with me. I get in the jeep, with no top on(to avoid interference), and I take my foot off the brake to barely move. The camera continues to follow me, but the drone doesn't move. I started directly under the drone with an altitude just above 30 meters so I know I'm not 200 meters away. Anyone know why this would occur? I'm not the most technologically savvy person, got this as a toy, but this is one of the functions I was really looking forward to! Please help!!!

You posted this in the general form and follow me might be a little different for each Phantom. I'm going to assume that it's a P3 though and the DJI Go app?

Your display device needs to have GPS and the Go app needs to be able to obtain this information from the device. I'm guessing if the drone rotates that it is sending GPS info.

With the Go app the P3 maintain's it's orientation to the controller. You may want to start it off at least 30' away from the controller in some direction.

Lastly, Follow Me mode is 50% cool and 50% "time to buy another drone". It's a very risky way to fly as 1) the drone will hit everything in it's path and 2) if it looses signal it will return to home... which might be 10 miles away if you are driving (i.e. it won't make it and will land in some unknown spot).

Was your drone behind you or in front of you?

You posted this in the general form and follow me might be a little different for each Phantom. I'm going to assume that it's a P3 though and the DJI Go app?

Your display device needs to have GPS and the Go app needs to be able to obtain this information from the device. I'm guessing if the drone rotates that it is sending GPS info.

With the Go app the P3 maintain's it's orientation to the controller. You may want to start it off at least 30' away from the controller in some direction.

Lastly, Follow Me mode is 50% cool and 50% "time to buy another drone". It's a very risky way to fly as 1) the drone will hit everything in it's path and 2) if it looses signal it will return to home... which might be 10 miles away if you are driving (i.e. it won't make it and will land in some unknown spot).
Yes, this is a P3 standard and I'm using the DJI Go app. I was just trying up and down the street for now, I wouldn't go far, but I'm trying to figure it out, so I can take it out to the 40 acres we have. The drone should be able to cover that entire area. I walked down the street and it stayed right with me. I had my gf drive down in the jeep, got it(no top) and eased forward, drone doesn't move...camera follows...

Yes, this is a P3 standard and I'm using the DJI Go app. I was just trying up and down the street for now, I wouldn't go far, but I'm trying to figure it out, so I can take it out to the 40 acres we have. The drone should be able to cover that entire area. I walked down the street and it stayed right with me. I had my gf drive down in the jeep, got it(no top) and eased forward, drone doesn't move...camera follows...

Camera stays with you? As I recall Follow Me mode does not pan the camera (its designed to maintain the orientation to the controller so there would be no need to pan the camera or rotate the drone).

The DJI implementation of Follow is also not altitude aware so if you are following a person that is changing altitude (i.e. Driving up a hill), the Phantom will not know that and even though your altitude was set to 30m and high enough to clear all local trees, light posts, etc...after you climb a small (10m hill), the drone will only be 20m above ground and crash into a tree - and if your hill were larger (i.e. 30m+), your phantom would happily fly itself right into the ground content in its knowledge that it is still 30m above the takeoff point! Conversely, if you go downhill (by 10m) - your Phantom will be 40m above you (instead of 30m) and you may not get the type of video you were expecting because the Phantom is higher.

If Follow mode is important to you, consider the AutoPilot app. It is altitude aware so that if you say follow 30m above a person - it will make sure it stays 30m above that person whether the persons drives up a hill or down a hill. It also lets you follow anybody with an iPhone, it lets you turn on dynamic home point adjustments so the 10 mile scenario someone else mentioned is also avoided and it provides far more options for aiming the camera - i.e. You can tell it to follow a boat, but keep the camera focused 10m behind the boat (on a waterskiier).

Camera stays with you? As I recall Follow Me mode does not pan the camera (its designed to maintain the orientation to the controller so there would be no need to pan the camera or rotate the drone).
That's how it works when I walk around, but when I get in the car, the drone doesn't move but just rotates, for example I drove down the street with it behind me and it didn't move. I turned around and driver directly under it and the drone turned 180 degrees and kept watching me, but never moved

With the DJI Go app you fly the drone up 30' and out a certain distance. When you start the follow me mode it maintains that _same_ orientation to the controller. So there is no need for the drone to rotate.

With the DJI Go app you fly the drone up 30' and out a certain distance. When you start the follow me mode it maintains that _same_ orientation to the controller. So there is no need for the drone to rotate.

I'm just saying what it is doing...it's has a few quirks, I guess I'll keep trying for now. I understood it would just stay oriented, and did when walking, but not in the car

I assume you are using either a phone or tablet with a gps, correct?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I assume you are using either a phone or tablet with a gps, correct?

Yes, I'm using my iPhone 6. I was showing 11 satellites at the time. Like I said, works great when walking, wouldn't follow the jeep. Maybe it has something against Chrystler products. I just want it to follow the four wheeler when I get out to our property

Honestly, if it works while walking it should also work while using a vehicle. To be clear on how it works, the phone picks up location via GPS, then through the connected RC, tells the AC where to go. Simple really, should work, maybe you have not moved enough in the vehicle to show a change of position. Caution with this app. If all the sudden it thinks you are across the street in a building, that is where the AC will be told to go, and go fast it will.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair