Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Follow me function for DJI

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by walko, Mar 20, 2015.

1. walko

Hi, I found this app, just released... https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .DjiVision

it includes FOLLOW ME function, and it would be nice. If third app is possible to do it, can we wait same from DJI?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRkdAv1dGCs[/youtube]

2. saltire

I looked @ this earlier today and it was priced @ £7.50 and its now cheaper :D yea seems like a good app any one on here using it ? .
    I purchased a similar one with out the follow me and its plagued with issues :evil: .

3. tcope

So I just tried the Follow Me feature for a few minutes. Seemed to work as advertised. It seemed to work just fine. I couple of times it moved sideways to follow me rather that turning and moving forward. It was a little strange buy sis not seem to be any actual issue. As the developer mentioned, it's one of the best interfaces out there. I'd put it right up with the DJI app. At its current price I'd say it would be worth the download. However, other apps on the market will be getting this same feature.

I did find one issue though, with my Vision Plus I could not control the pitch of the camera. I moved it down with the dial and it just moved back up. I'm betting this is A simple programming fix.

Also, I did not see an option to start or stop video while flying in Follow Me mode. This seems to be typical and because of the SDK. The user could probably start recording video and then jump into this mode. Most likely that is the case.

Very nice app.

4. tcope

Note: I felt I'd be sticking with another app buy this one might become my go to app. Will need to test this weekend. Apparently my employer frowns on paying me to fly my drone during working hours.

5. kenargo

Approved Vendor

6. UgashikBob

Any examples of practical usage for the follow me feature?

7. rtg

rtg

Video of a boat in motion.

Rob

8. walko

Riding off-road motorcycle.... riding off-road ATV...

we have "selfies" in photo.... this is VIDEO "selfie"

regards

9. socrats

well,tested, but...in the poi mode (the camera is not facing the poi),the follow me mode the drone get lost,so....need some improvements,anyway is a cool app!

10. lignow

Skiing and mountain biking. Although I wonder if the altitude descent would maintain consistent descending.
    e.g.- 10 to 50 meters above subject. From 2,149 m (7,051 ft). down to, 1,068 m (3,504 ft). Approximately 9 min. on skis and 20 min. on a mountain bike.
    Cool App. for this country

11. tcope

I don't think it's anywhere near that robust. You are correct in that change of height would not make this possible. It's also not practical as you should still have access to the controller in order to take control of the drone.

Practical applications are limited but it's a nice feature. Hiking, jogging, driving, etc. Any time you want to record "yourself" (your changing location) and you are moving.

12. kenargo

Approved Vendor

13. Noël

Noël Guest

Would love to try it to follow my boat!
    Does it work with a Phantom Vision, and do you still need beta testers?

14. walko

I have a doubt... follow me feature, "follow" remote control, or follow phone? (I think phone, with gps, is sending continuous waypoint)

regards

15. djphantom2015

I was thinking the other day about this possibility. It should not be too difficult to add to a phantom. I'm surprised at DJ Phantom they have not added this function yet.

16. kenargo

Approved Vendor

Follow device (phone or tablet). The implementations today are GPS based; the Phantom's location is compared to the device's location and flight adjustments are made accordingly.

17. rbhamilton

Basically it's follow both Cell and RC. Your phone gets your current GPS location and updates the drone through the WiFi extender on your remote. It's not like you can go wandering around with only your cell phone in your pocket or send the drone off to follow your friends.

18. kenargo

Approved Vendor

Yes, good point; without the Wi-Fi connection there is no channel to send the control codes.

19. GoodnNuff

I'm betting this will become a standard feature on future DJI quads.
    I've flown both the Iris+ and the Yuneec Q500 Typhoon with the follow me feature. With the Q500 the drone follows the radio.
    With the Iris+ the drone follows an android device using the Drone Planner app. So indeed, the Iris+ does allow you to just wander around with your cell phone as the leash. Or even cooler - you can have it follow a Pebble Watch (android based smart watch). Colin Guinn has a tutorial video (remember the great ones he did for the original Phantom?) for the Iris+ showing him paddle boarding with the Iris+ following him and his Pebble Watch (though he uses Drone Planner on his phone so the camera can see better).