Follow Me? Follow My Car? How about Follow My Other Drone

Awesome Do you still need to use the remote control with the litchi app or does it 100-% run off the phone?

I need to find an android app to test it. I would close to try it with my motorbike or snowboarding

Worked very well. Nice follow me!

Reactions: CornelDRAW
Awesome Do you still need to use the remote control with the litchi app or does it 100-% run off the phone?

I need to find an android app to test it. I would close to try it with my motorbike or snowboarding
The phone delivers constant position that can be tracked. It only needs to set the height, distance from yourself and just go. You must be prepared to use the remote if something is wrong and do not go too fast. The most interesting thing are the faces of people that you meet: they do not understand what happens!

So you have to have the remote powered on to do it?

The phone _only_ sends its GPS location to the transmitter. The transmitter needs to send a signal to the drone. So yes, you still need to have the transmitter within wifi range of the phone and the transmitter within distance of the Phantom.

I don't think this is correct. At least not on the P2+. I can't say what happens with the P3.

My understanding is, the aircraft's software knows where the home point is and it knows where the monitor is, since both have a GPS location. The proof of this is Phantom's RTH ability and Dynamic Home Point ability. Right? The home point doesn't generally move, but the monitor will move if you walk around or bike around or whatever.

So when the Litchi software tells the Vision to locate itself near the monitor (smart phone or Android or iPad), it can do that because it knows where the monitor is and it knows where itself is via GPS. So once Magic Leash (or Follow Me) is invoked, the Phantom ignores the control signal and begins to position itself near the monitor (RTH works similarly, it ignores the control signal and flies to the home point). As the monitor moves, so does the Phantom. The controller is not involved. So technically you can walk or run or bike around holding your monitor with no controller and the Phantom will follow along. But it wouldn't be wise, because if something goes wrong, you'd want to be able to regain control - by flicking the S1 switch down and up just as you'd gain control in RTH mode.

Last edited:
I don't think this is correct. At least not on the P2+. I can't say what happens with the P3.

My understanding is, the aircraft's software knows where the home point is and it knows where the monitor is, since both have a GPS location. The proof of this is Phantom's RTH ability and Dynamic Home Point ability. Right? The home point doesn't generally move, but the monitor will move if you walk around or bike around or whatever.

So when the Litchi software tells the Vision to locate itself near the monitor (smart phone or Android or iPad), it can do that because it knows where the monitor is and it knows where itself is via GPS. So once Magic Leash (or Follow Me) is invoked, the Phantom ignores the control signal and begins to position itself near the monitor (RTH works similarly, it ignores the control signal and flies to the home point). As the monitor moves, so does the Phantom. The controller is not involved. So technically you can walk or run or bike around holding your monitor with no controller and the Phantom will follow along. But it wouldn't be wise, because if something goes wrong, you'd want to be able to regain control - by flicking the S1 switch down and up just as you'd gain control in RTH mode.

The controller does not have GPS. The phone/tablet cannot communicate in anyway directly with the P2. It can only communicate with the controller. The controller then sends the phone/tablet info to the P2. So the P2 cannot "ignore" the controller. That is, the controller needs to be in communication range of the phone/tablet and the P2 at all times.

So you could avoid carrying the controller with you but you could not go beyond 300' of it. This would make follow me all but useless. So it's not really practical.

Thanks for your response.

The controller does not have GPS.

Agreed.

The phone/tablet cannot communicate in anyway directly with the P2. It can only communicate with the controller.

Okay this is news to me. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just thought of it differently. I thought the phone/tablet communicated with the extender which in turn communicated with the phantom, and vice versa. My understanding, and this is what I have read in various places, is that the Phantom's wifi module is a transceiver. It has two antennas, one for transmitting and one for receiving. And it is also capable of switching automatically so that it uses the best antenna to perform its function. No? If that's not correct, why do some of us use a booster (amplfier) on the extender? And how does the software booster work for the wifi? And why is it important to point the extender antenna at the Phantom? And where inside the controller is the receiving antenna and receiver module? Thanks.

Edit: Here is Colin Guinn discussing why DJI decided to switch to 5.8 ghz for control, and use 2.4 ghz for video on the new Phantom Vision. One of the reasons is because, he says, 2.4 ghz is a much better freq for two way communications.

Last edited:
I thought the phone/tablet communicated with the extender which in turn communicated with the phantom, and vice versa.

Where is the extender located? It's a part of the _controller_. I guess you might be able to unscrew the extender from the controller and then just carry the extender and phone/tablet but I'd certainly not recommend it. If the phone/tablet became disconnected for any reason you'd have _no_ control over the P2.

Oh. When you say "controller" and "transmitter", you're referring to the entire hand-held device as a whole including the extender. You never used the word "extender" or repeater" anywhere. So it wasn't clear to me.

Okay, I think I got it now.

The Phantom follows the phone around because the phone has a GPS fix. The phone moves and the GPS fix changes. This change must be communicated to the Phantom. But the Phantom is deaf to the phone's Wifi signal. The Phantom can only hear the wifi signal coming from the extender. Hence, the phone must be within range of the extender. And the extender must be within range of the Phantom.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues