Follow me and signal loss.

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Phantom would do if there was a signal interruption while it was in follow me mode? Not that it should happen but just curious. :eek:

As I understand this, the aircraft is getting GPS data directly from your tablet but not sure. Nobody is keeping their controller pointed at the aircraft. I would think the range of that would be somewhat limited and didn't realize there was any transmission with GPS. I wonder if the aircraft gets the position data for the tablet through the satellite . In that case it wouldn't matter how far away you were as long as you had enough satellites.

Last edited:
Follow me uses the display devices GPS location to update the Home Point every 4-5 seconds. So RTH would be..... the last known HP?

I think the P3 just blows up.

How do you know that ? In that case it would be necessary to insure that the controller's antennas are pointed at the arcraft or it will never record the new home point. This function works with the controller in the car and the bird a couple of hundred ft. high.

How do you know that ? In that case it would be necessary to insure that the controller's antennas are pointed at the arcraft or it will never record the new home point. This function works with the controller in the car and the bird a couple of hundred ft. high.

It flashes this pop up notice on the screen every 4-5 seconds.

It flashes this pop up notice on the screen every 4-5 seconds.

I think the bird is linked to the tablet via satellite and that the bird gets updated data from the laptop every time it gets a 3d fix. The home point stored on the bird is then set to the laptop location.

I bet you can shut of the controller and it will still follow.

Last edited:
Tablet or phone needs to have built in GPS and it has to be connected to the remote to work as follow me.
GPS location from your device is continuously sent to the drone via remote and because it is changing, moving constantly so is the drone. When you turn off your remote it will stop or go to the last recorded RTH position...

Tablet or phone needs to have built in GPS and it has to be connected to the remote to work as follow me.
GPS location from your device is continuously sent to the drone via remote and because it is changing, moving constantly so is the drone. When you turn off your remote it will stop or go to the last recorded RTH position...

Ok, I watched a video of follow me today where the bird was following a car, which was way out of sight, at a very high height . The controller had to be loosing connection with the bird but the bird still found the car after it parked further down the road. Nobody you see doing this seems to be making any effort to keep the antennas pointed at the bird either. Please explain why it didn't initiate a return to home.

I think the bird is linked to the laptop via satellite and that the bird gets updated data from the laptop every time it gets a 3d fix. The home point stored on the bird is then set to the laptop location.

I bet you can shut of the controller and it will still follow.

I have no idea what you mean by this. We are talking about the P3 so no laptop is involved. I'm not even sure how a laptop would be involved in Follow Me mode. I also have no idea how a satellite would be involved in a connection with the P3. I'm also clueless on what "3d fix" means.

What _does_ happen is the display device connected to the controller feeds the control it's GPS location. The controller then sends this data to the P3 and the P3 maintains it's orientation and distance from that GPS location.

Ok, I watched a video of follow me today where the bird was following a car, which was way out of sight, at a very high height . The controller had to be loosing connection with the bird but the bird still found the car after it parked further down the road. Nobody you see doing this seems to be making any effort to keep the antennas pointed at the bird either. Please explain why it didn't initiate a return to home.

It never lost connection with the controller. The controller will maintain a connection with the transmitter for at least 1.2 miles. The car never gets that far. The car is a small image on the screen. Most likely the controller was near a window.

Today I was trying the follow me mode following my car when I suddenly lost signal .. I didnt't understand why because it was about 500m away from me .. All that to say that I made a QUICK u turn and than I saw the bird and he was just hovering at the exact same place I lost the signal! Got the signal back and I'm still owning a P3P [emoji106]

Reactions: Altanore
I tried follow me yesterday. But it didn't follow me. Although it displayed " follow me enabled" but it just hovered? I was on the beach and set the drone at 20 feet but it would not follow after several attempts. POI worked well though.
Any ideas would be helpful?
Thanks.

I tried follow me yesterday. But it didn't follow me. Although it displayed " follow me enabled" but it just hovered? I was on the beach and set the drone at 20 feet but it would not follow after several attempts. POI worked well though.
Thanks.
I know what your talking about, Mine does the same. Everything else works, But not follow me. "(

Thanks.

I believe you need to be above 10m for it to work.

Reactions: mick74

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers