Folding props

Avoid the folding props.

I haven't tried on my P3A and I will not either considering that the active braking system is known to lose props (this was happening with the inspires - the fix was to use prop locks).

I have the triblades on my P2 and they offer no benefit. The problem is that the way the hub is constructed. You have screws to tighten the each of the blade. If you tighten too much, the blades wont fold out and self balance. If you keep it too loose, it will fall off. You need to inspect each screw for tightness on each flight. That's 3x4 screws you need to check before taking off and this becomes time consuming and rather pointless for quick take off.
Another is the weight. They are quite heavy compared to the OEM DJI props. I had to increase my gains to stop the phantom from wobbling or losing altitude.
Another is the pitch of the blade. Some manufacturers think just by copying the blade will just work. This is wrong especially if you don't factor in another blade. Too many blades can decrease lift (RPM dependant).

The only benefit I saw in them was they looked cool.

You are better just to let the phantom warm up find its GPS and attach the props on.

3%20leaf%20foldable%202.jpg
Omg that phantom looks awesome af with the folding blade

Sent from my SM-A500F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Omg that phantom looks awesome af with the folding blade

The only time a Phantom "looks awesome with folding blades" is when it is on the ground, so if a static display is your thing, by all means, install them. However, install regular OEM props before the next flight.

Just get a Manfrotto backpack that allows you to close up the entire thing with the props off or has a compartment to have the props on and sticking out of the back of the backpack. This looks like it's in 'ready' to use state or 'travel' mode.
Aviator drone backpack for DJI Phantom

As for the whole thing, climbing, with gloves and such. I would suggest swapping out the lanyard/tablet holders. The current one is plastic and I have heard of them snapping. Get an aluminum one as the last think you want is the controller and tablet snapping off mid-flight on the side of some glacier.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pushed myself into a corner"..
You have decided on a piece of equipment -- folding props, and asked how to make it work.

When nearly everyone said it doesn't work safely, you doubled down and insist on asking again how to make the equipment that won't work, work.

That is how you have painted yourself in a corner.

I'm curious, if perhaps dummy cording your glove shells and then wearing a thinner more dexterous inner liner beneath them would work?

Regardless if you use folding or non folding props, they are going to have the same volume, just the length of the blade will be shorter.

Meh. Your not the only guy whose ever hiked or climbed with a drone. Or flown on glaciers, or from mountains, or desserts, or jungle. I don't care how rough the terrain is. Just follow the advice your getting. Enough already with this ridiculous obsession with folding props.

You have decided on a piece of equipment -- folding props, and asked how to make it work.

When nearly everyone said it doesn't work safely, you doubled down and insist on asking again how to make the equipment that won't work, work.

That is how you have painted yourself in a corner.

I'm curious, if perhaps dummy cording your glove shells and then wearing a thinner more dexterous inner liner beneath them would work?

Regardless if you use folding or non folding props, they are going to have the same volume, just the length of the blade will be shorter.

I asked if someone had to use them, would anyone recommend one model over another (stating that I'd already read they aren't ideal and can cause problems).

The thread degenerated into a bunch of passive aggressive arguments.

I tried to steer it back on track to answer the original question.

I think we must have differing interpretations of that phrase because to me it does nothing to describe the situation.

Shell gloves and liners are possible, but comfort with my personal gear takes preference over a drone, and I'm not a huge fan of them.

And it depends how you look at the volume of the drone. Using archimedes principle, yes, they will. However, squaring off the shape to a box, which is much more relevant with regards to packing, the volume is wildly different.

Meh. Your not the only guy whose ever hiked or climbed with a drone. Or flown on glaciers, or from mountains, or desserts, or jungle. I don't care how rough the terrain is. Just follow the advice your getting. Enough already with this ridiculous obsession with folding props.

I realise this. I've also watched many videos of people doing such a thing, they often have sherpas, base camps, sometimes home-made drones, expeditions planned around the capture of it. I have: myself, a fairly small budget and maybe a mountain hut.

I'm looking to film paying groups without causing interruption to what they paid for. Obviously a certain amount I'll be able to (and have to) stop to film then run to catch back up, but I don't want to have to do this more than necessary. I'm fit, I'm not Ueli Steck.

Enough already with plainly ignoring the OP. I stated I realise there are downsides, but if you had to pick one type/brand over another which would it be. If there isn't one, you're not able to, or you have no other suggestions that might fit my scenario, then simply don't answer.

Just get a Manfrotto backpack that allows you to close up the entire thing with the props off or has a compartment to have the props on and sticking out of the back of the backpack. This looks like it's in 'ready' to use state or 'travel' mode.
Aviator drone backpack for DJI Phantom

As for the whole thing, climbing, with gloves and such. I would suggest swapping out the lanyard/tablet holders. The current one is plastic and I have heard of them snapping. Get an aluminum one as the last think you want is the controller and tablet snapping off mid-flight on the side of some glacier.

Unfortunately that bag is lacking in, what are for me, essentials. I need at the very least ice-axe looks and straps for a rope. It's a bag I will certainly consider for any lower level valley hikes though.

Thanks for you suggestion about the lanyard. Having it break on a glacier really doesn't sound like fun.

Thank you to everyone who's produced productive suggestions in this thread and I apologise for the state it's degenerated to.

I'm starting to look at the Bebop 2 suggestion a bit more seriously, and the thoughts about batteries and link to the warming bag is very much appreciated. I would have been found packing tones of chemical hand-warmers otherwise. Although the bags suggested wouldn't be appropriate for the other gear I have to carry, the suggestion is welcome. There quite likely is a bag out there I've over-looked, but as it stands the tilopa by f-stop looks the most suitable, potentially with a custom compartment of some sort.

Dheorl, have you looked at the Phantom 4? It seems to fit your needs perfectly as it has snap-on props.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you to everyone who's produced productive suggestions in this thread and I apologise for the state it's degenerated to.

I'm starting to look at the Bebop 2 suggestion a bit more seriously, and the thoughts about batteries and link to the warming bag is very much appreciated. I would have been found packing tones of chemical hand-warmers otherwise. Although the bags suggested wouldn't be appropriate for the other gear I have to carry, the suggestion is welcome. There quite likely is a bag out there I've over-looked, but as it stands the tilopa by f-stop looks the most suitable, potentially with a custom compartment of some sort.

No reason you feel bad for that. Seems only a few people tried them and even less make any comparison. The reason is that usually mounting the props is not a big deal, just annoying and having a good balance of props is important for good quality video.

Probably this is obvious:

It seems that even on youtube there are only comparison from Phantom 2 time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-vhQDsnoK
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
At least these 2 tried some.

Even on Ebay they are rare. Also only for Phantom 2.
Search for "dji phantom folding propeller".
Unfortunately, I cannot tell you if they can be mounted on a Phantom 3, probably some more experienced can.

Again, hope you will have fun and please share the result, we all need to learn.

Dheorl, have you looked at the Phantom 4? It seems to fit your needs perfectly as it has snap-on props.

Thanks. I have looked at it, both online and then went and had a play with one in a shop and the props do seem much easier. Unfortunately as things stand atm it's a bit out of my budget.

I have even wondered if it would be possible to replace phantom 3 motors, or even just the shafts/attachment point, with those from the phantom 4, but have yet to find anything.

I realise this. I've also watched many videos of people doing such a thing, they often have sherpas, base camps, sometimes home-made drones, expeditions planned around the capture of it. I have: myself, a fairly small budget and maybe a mountain hut.
Again your assuming that your doing something that a lot of us haven't done. If all you want is info on foldable props, you've simply come to the wrong place.

For the use case you've described, a P4 or P3 in a tactical backpack with props off is best. If you want, you can try to find one that accommodates props on, then that works too. A lot of folks will lash/bungy the P4 to the outside of the pack for quick hikes. And in any of these back packs, there is going to be tons of extra room for additional non-drone related gear.

Again your assuming that your doing something that a lot of us haven't done. If all you want is info on foldable props, you've simply come to the wrong place.

For the use case you've described, a P4 or P3 in a tactical backpack with props off is best. If you want, you can try to find one that accommodates props on, then that works too. A lot of folks will lash/bungy the P4 to the outside of the pack for quick hikes. And in any of these back packs, there is going to be tons of extra room for additional non-drone related gear.

Have you done glacier expeditions without support teams where you have to film and keep up with groups who won't be stopping? Do you know anyone on the forum who has? If so I'd love for you to direct them here so they can perhaps provide some more constructive advice than you've been giving.

And I'm sorry, it's a forum dedicated to the phantom. I assumed it was as good a place as any to come for information regarding the phantom and related accessories, or are there better forums out there?

I'd love to be able to simply lash it to the outside, it would be a dream come true, but storms, rockfalls, my bag potentially striking things during scrambles, all kinda put me off the idea.

Have you done glacier expeditions without support teams where you have to film and keep up with groups who won't be stopping? Do you know anyone on the forum who has? If so I'd love for you to direct them here so they can perhaps provide some more constructive advice than you've been giving.

And I'm sorry, it's a forum dedicated to the phantom. I assumed it was as good a place as any to come for information regarding the phantom and related accessories, or are there better forums out there?

I'd love to be able to simply lash it to the outside, it would be a dream come true, but storms, rockfalls, my bag potentially striking things during scrambles, all kinda put me off the idea.
I've now got bored with your repetitive nonsense and the fact you simply must have folding props. People who've actually used them have advised you to avoid them. Yes, they probably haven't climbed up mountains or glaciers but they HAVE used folding props and they tell you they can and have resulted in the potential loss or damage of an AC. YOU are now passively-aggressively pushing for the answer YOU want to hear so I suspect that you won't be able to get a great result with anything anyone recommends here, because now you'll be without a drone as no one produces a backpack that holds a drone and all your mountaineering kit too. Sheesh.... That's enough.

I've now got bored with your repetitive nonsense and the fact you simply must have folding props. People who've actually used them have advised you to avoid them. Yes, they probably haven't climbed up mountains or glaciers but they HAVE used folding props and they tell you they can and have resulted in the potential loss or damage of an AC. YOU are now passively-aggressively pushing for the answer YOU want to hear so I suspect that you won't be able to get a great result with anything anyone recommends here, because now you'll be without a drone as no one produces a backpack that holds a drone and all your mountaineering kit too. Sheesh.... That's enough.

Yes, I'm starting to get wound up, but I'm not pushing for the answer I want, I'm merely pushing to try and get the thread back on track.

I stated in very simple words in the OP I'd read they weren't ideal for flight, yet have still had to deal with people coming into this thread for no other reason that to tell me what I already know. They have provided no constructive comments, simple stated that I am wrong, in sometimes fairly aggressive and/or patronising tones. I've tried to stay civil with them as long as possible, but there's only so much I can take.

I feel bad for the people who have actually tried to make a positive contribution, as I am very grateful to them. Despite the abuse and completely pointless comments there has been some very useful information, but feel it has been lost among people beating their chests, much like yourself. Why did you feel the need to post that comment? If you're bored with it just leave, I don't care, but don't waste space and clutter the thread in the process.

Yes, I'm starting to get wound up, but I'm not pushing for the answer I want, I'm merely pushing to try and get the thread back on track.

I stated in very simple words in the OP I'd read they weren't ideal for flight, yet have still had to deal with people coming into this thread for no other reason that to tell me what I already know. They have provided no constructive comments, simple stated that I am wrong, in sometimes fairly aggressive and/or patronising tones. I've tried to stay civil with them as long as possible, but there's only so much I can take.

I feel bad for the people who have actually tried to make a positive contribution, as I am very grateful to them. Despite the abuse and completely pointless comments there has been some very useful information, but feel it has been lost among people beating their chests, much like yourself. Why did you feel the need to post that comment? If you're bored with it just leave, I don't care, but don't waste space and clutter the thread in the process.
Why do I feel the need to post that comment? You state you're not looking for the answer you want. Really? Read your posts. And stop with the patronising tone too. Ignore everyone who are giving you advice not to use them; buy them, get a customised bag to hold everything you need on your expedition and go and see for yourself.

Why do I feel the need to post that comment? You state you're not looking for the answer you want. Really? Read your posts. And stop with the patronising tone too. Ignore everyone who are giving you advice not to use them; buy them, get a customised bag to hold everything you need on your expedition and go and see for yourself.

If you class "looking for the answer to the question I actually asked" as "looking for the answer I want" then fine.

As for my tone, like I say, it's hard to stay civil when no matter how much you try and turn the thread back to the original purpose, people continue to come on her just to beat their metaphorical chests/vent.

Also I'm not sure why you keep mentioning bag troubles. As said, the Tilopa seems fine with one of the ICUs and a few custom bits of foam. If there's something better or more available out there then I'd love to hear about it. It would sure be better than a lot of the comments on this thread (and I am very grateful to the people who have tried to give such suggestions, whether or not they are completely suitable. I wish I could delete the non-constructive posts in this thread and clean it up a bit).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic