Foil mod?

****, who'da thunk it?
Thanks ianwood

I actually did a side by side comparison. I upgraded the backup P2 first (foil and antenna) and the compared to the main P2 (stock antenna, no foil). Definitely an improvement. It doesn't make it perfect but if you find yourself waiting a long time for sats, it can't hurt.

pretty much did the same process with foil and 4mm ant with both mine.

did one quad at a time and fired them up side by side start up with each modification.

I wasted no time upgrading the second

Aye, there's the rub. Only anecdotal evidence that the foil mod actually helps. But, the next time I have the shell open I'll try it since I have a couple of dozen flights logged from my location and I have never seen more than 7 sats at takeoff and 11 in the air. If I average +1 over time, then I will declare it a "fix". I suspect that it's of more advantage to the Vision models because of interference from the 2.4 GHz WiFi module.

Here's something new GPS Booster on ebay for out of the UK.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...684?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa976e58c
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you want to test it, you should use one of the many ways to check how many satellites are actually visible at your location, to see if it's bad reception or just... not many sats in view.... Don't forget to allow for local horizon, buildings etc which ma reduce the count further.
Take a while to get a lock here sometimes, but that's because at high latitudes there are less sats in view, on average....

Update....

Bad weather last week, so I decided to replace the GPS patch antenna with the Taoglas GP.1575.25.4.A.02, as mentioned in other articles. Simple enough job to do, and afterwards found it picked up one extra satellite over and above what I got after the foil mod ( I left the foil mod in place).
For the effort involved, I'm convinced that the benefits from foil mod outweigh the patch antenna replacement.

G

That's why they say: YMMV :)

Did the foil mod to mine last night. Raining at the moment so only tested in my driveway. Before in that location got only 3 to 4 sats, after mod, 6 solid.

Plan a shoot deep in a gorge later this week and hope this mod helps, otherwise it'll be ATTI. Two hour hike to the bottom of the gorge so I hope I don't forget anything!

Reactions: GerryBerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31