Foil mod side effect

Reaction score
Scratching my head wondering why my camera stops recording on it's own ever since I did the foil mod. Anyone else ever have something like this happen? I tried to take three videos today at three different locations and each one recorded for 15 seconds or so then just shut off.

As much as I don't care so much for that mod, I would only think it to effect the camera if it was interfering with the reception in some way.

I think I will try my old card as well. The second location I flew at some message came up on my smartphone but the sun kept me from making it out. By the time I had shaded it the message was gone.

I very much dislike this mod too, but only in the sense that we should not have to do it !!!, but when my satellite count doubled from 6 to 11-12 , I will advise to do it every time until DJI fixes their known problem. 2 of 3 of my first flights and landings when I needed GPS locks help I lost it and had to land in ATTI mode. I think this mod should be part of the basic setup procedure at this point.

There is no way the mod can be of influence to the camera.
Unless you messed up with the wires, lose etc...
Try first a other SD card.
If to no avail try to initiate recording on the camera itself, NOT true app.
If still no success then there must be something wrong inside the bird.
Check connectors.

I'm dumbfounded as well, I can't imagine why this mod would effect the camera operation. I recently put a 32 gig sd card in it but it worked fine recording before I tired the foil. I was careful not to mess with the wires. The 3M foil I used didn't stick very well, I kept having the mess with it to get it to take. Why don't these things go as easy as the youtube videos make them out to? Will test tomorrow morning and report back to those that are interested.

Did you insulate it ? I wouldn't have used tin foil. I used the alum tape then went over it with packing tape.
Unless YOU mocked something loose , there's no way this mod did anything to it.

Start DJI App > Settings > When connection break > Make sure the Stop recording is unchecked and State = stay in idle.

I used the 3M laser printable foil just like in the how to video. Although it didn't stick very well. Last night I re did it with minimal foil and today I flew using the original 4 gig card and everything worked fine. Also, still getting up to 12 sats......all is right with the world again. I will at some point put the 32 gig card back in and see if that was the problem. All I know is it worked fine with that card pre foil mod.

Mori55 said:
Did you insulate it ? I wouldn't have used tin foil. I used the alum tape then went over it with packing tape.
Unless YOU mocked something loose , there's no way this mod did anything to it.

quuestion... base on the video no insulation showed... thanks

I insulated like other posters have shown with thin packing tape. Great results.

Have you checked that you actually have a 32gig card and havnt been stiffed by a dodgy seller?.

While on the subject of 32g cards, do you actually think you need a card that size?

I have always and only worked with 4g on my quad's. I pull all the data from it after each flight. I also use the data logger on each flight so that if the video is something special it get's placed in a folder to set used with Dashware. Even though the data logger can save numerous files, I still pull that data after each flight as well. I remember when I lost my 1st quad due to a fly away. I was more upset over noot having the video I had taken during that flight, then I was about the loss of the quad. And then,....I lost another quad. And that also had a flytrex core2 which means it was more data I lost. This stuff took place when I was doing a lot of test flights and the data I was gathering at that time had a lot of meaning to it.

Btw, we also started getting forced updates a couple months ago. And you never know what will happen with any data you may have saved on a card. I think the last forced update was something to do with the camera on the vPlus. Anyway, since the getting updates without my approval happened, I tend to check DJI's site before hooking up my quad and running the assistant.

karmakazi said:
I wouldn't imagine, it's a 32 gig. I'll empty it and see.

I was not aware I could use a higher size card. I got a 64 gig but it doesn't seem to work with my phantom vision 2 +. Was there a mod or is this standard?

Ron

TopFlightImagery said:
I was not aware I could use a higher size card. I got a 64 gig but it doesn't seem to work with my phantom vision 2 +. Was there a mod or is this standard?

Ron

32GB is the limit. Make sure to read your manual. ;)

Morgon said:
32GB is the limit. Make sure to read your manual. ;)

I read somewhere that 32 gig was the limit, thats why I bought the 32. My hard copy of the manual is so small I have trouble reading it even with my cheaters. The PDF I DL'ed looks like this:

amanual.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31