Focus Camera on multiple objects during flight

Reaction score
Hello,
New guy here, I have tried to search for this answer but I can not find it.

We are looking at upgrading to a Phantom 3 or 4 from a 2. We are wanting to fly along a specified path, but have the camera/drone focus at different angles along the path. I am not just talking about vertical, we need the camera to first look at two o'clock while flying and then as we loop around we want the camera to face at 5 o'clock and then at the end of the flight focus back towards three o'clock. I guess what I am asking is can we have multiple points of interest to focus or face the camera at during a flight. Our flight path will not just be circling a single object, but flying around a site.

Glad to be a member, I have been lurking around for a while.

I'd use waypoints in Litchi myself. It can do this. Checkout flylitchi.com/hub you can create pretty detailed waypoints like you mention. The app is $20 though, but worth it IMO.

Here's a screenshot to give ya an idea.

hIGrgS7.png

I like it. Another question, is there any possible way for someone to design a path in google earth or similar and send it to us and we upload the flight path and fly their specified path? I saw with Litchi you can upload and export flight paths, which is great. But, can you upload a path from another source?

That sounds like a pretty dangerous and risky procedure. Better would be for someone to just suggest a route that is drawn in GE and have the operator review and modify it base on structures and terrain and then input the the desired mission waypoints and altitudes, himself. I wouldn't fly a mission that someone just gave to me without personally studying the route. It's really easy to miss electrical lines and judge tree and structure heights using Google Earth.

That sounds like a pretty dangerous and risky procedure. Better would be for someone to just suggest a route that is drawn in GE and have the operator review and modify it base on structures and terrain and then input the the desired mission waypoints and altitudes, himself. I wouldn't fly a mission that someone just gave to me without personally studying the route. It's really easy to miss electrical lines and judge tree and structure heights using Google Earth.

I was exploring Litchi's website and found that they accept KML, so the answer is yes.

I was not really talking about blindly flying their path, I agree with you we would just take their path as a suggestion and make changes or edits as needed. The more I explore about Litchi, the more powerful it seems.

What a great forum, I have been signed up for two hours and have already learned a lot. Now I need to research to see if we want to purchase a Phantom 3 or 4.

Reactions: Digdat0
I like it. Another question, is there any possible way for someone to design a path in google earth or similar and send it to us and we upload the flight path and fly their specified path? I saw with Litchi you can upload and export flight paths, which is great. But, can you upload a path from another source?
You can design a flight on Litchi's Mission Control web page which uses Google Maps and then download it to your tablet. Works well.

Reactions: Lefty63
You can design a flight on Litchi's Mission Control web page which uses Google Maps and then download it to your tablet. Works well.

I found that while exploring their site.

Another question that came up though. When you enter multiple points of interest does the drone gradually change direction from one point of interest or does it quickly change at the next waypoint? I wish we already had a new drone so I could test all this.

Another question that came up though. When you enter multiple points of interest does the drone gradually change direction from one point of interest or does it quickly change at the next waypoint? I wish we already had a new drone so I could test all this.

It'll do this in the interpolate mode.

S

Also check out AutoPilot for even more options... If you're looking for a simple way to do it - try Airnest

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It will gradually change. It focuses on the closest POI at all times. You can't assign a POI to a waypoint.

Autopilot supports unlimited Focus Strategies via Focus Triggers, which can be defined at arbitrary points on the Flight Path. Not just at the waypoints.

It can fly missions using the DJI flight controller or a custom controller for doing the real fancy stuff. The only caveat is it cannot go out of TX range when using the custom controller. The DJI controller offers LCMC so your mission can continue even if you loose connection, albeit with a limited feature set.

There is complete tutorial set of vids on YouTube if you are interested. For standard waypoint missions Litchi will do just fine. If you want to do custom stuff like manually track a target while the app flies the drone, then Autopilot will do it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub