Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FNG here

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by mmackinnon123, Dec 5, 2014.

1. mmackinnon123

Hey all

Well i just got my vision plus yesterday and flew it for a couple of hours today. I was SHOCKED at how easy it was to fly

So far im loving it.

One question, for some reason my app tells me its alt is 40 feet yet it is on the ground. ideas?

Love the threads here have read alot of them and appreciate the advice!

2. PhantomPhreak

Welcome to the forum!

3. Prylar Bek

above sea level

4. dbfletcher

Mine does that too. When I first start out, it is with in a foot or two of being correct. As I fly and it warms up (apparently) the error increases dramatically. I was told to do an advance IMU calibration and that would resolve it... but it hasnt made any difference. If I land, power off and then back on.. it seems to reset itself.. but after flying aroun for a bit again, by the end when I land it always shows that I'm 35+ ft in the air... when im on the ground. I would also love to get this fixed because I have to add about 15 meters to each waypoint just to be safe.

5. mmackinnon123

db

that is exactly my concern. I live in an area where we have very tall pine trees. I want to set some waypoints but i dont have to have to set 40-50 feet more than i have to for alt. It does not need to be so high.

Well if you learn anything lemme know, im gonna call DJI about it this week

6. flyNfrank

Calibrate the compass....

7. dbfletcher

I've done that 1/2 dozen times.. but i fail to see what altitude has to do with the compass. I just wish I could make the Phantom use the barometer in my flytrex. It always seems very accurate.

8. rbhamilton

The altitude is almost always wrong. At least on mine. There's some kind of barometric pressure sensor that takes a reading when you power it up. That plus GPS and a bunch of math can give you a rough altitude.

9. msinger

Approved Vendor

Mine is always off too. It's usually showing between 2-6 feet when sitting on the ground. I've never seen it at 0.

10. Fplvert

:D
    Yes, this is a common concern, but not really a factor since RTH is based on GPS location.
    The barometric altitude readings from the Phantom usually increase from start up. If you go through a startup then shutdown and restart your readings will be closer to actual. Flytrex data seems to be very close to the barometric values from the phantom. Many times I land at +40' according to the app. data as well as my Core 2 data.
    Just remember your Home Point is GPS based. If you need to be more than 60' high to clear obstacles on a Return to Home, you need to set that in your programming or reset your Home Point with S2.