Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flytrex !!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunslinger, Dec 3, 2013.

1. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

2. OI Photography

Yep, I've had one since I first got my Phantom, I think a lot of owners here do or have used the flytrex for data logging.

One of the members here, fdnyfish, posted some good tutorial vids on using the flytrex data with Dashware to put telemetry gauges on your vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoicZxUb10U

3. Driffill

Mine arrived only a few days ago! I can't wait to install it and go fly!

Also, Amit R (from FlyTrex) is one of the most helpful people I have ever found! I bought my flytrex because I was actually already making an order for some custom cables that Amit said he would/could make up exactly as I was after and had the correct "Male/Felmale" plugs, I figured while I was paying for shipping I may as well get the FlyTrex Core.

4. HollyFlier

Are you guys using this on the Phantom Vision? Or is it only for the Original Phantom? I have a Vision and would love to get it, if it works.

5. OI Photography

Yeah Amit is awesome, always quick and happy to answer questions and give help if needed, one of the best vendors I've dealt with.

6. Peter Patricelli

One question.....where does one mount it?? It looks and sounds as though it goes in under the shell, but then how does one get the micro-SD card out to download?? Would suck rotten eggs to have to pop the top to get to it every time.

7. Siddy

I mounted mine inside beside the battery but the temp reading is from the battery not outside.

8. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

So you have to pop the cover to retrieve the SD? :(

-slinger

9. OI Photography

It's very easy to mount it externally anywhere you want with double-sided tape, or zip-ties depending on whatever aftermarket landing gear etc you have.

10. gpauk

But then you have to get cables in and out of the PV? Would be good to see some installation photos, and confirmation that it's PV compatible.

11. Driffill

As long as the GPS plug on the vision is the same as the original, it should work fine! The flytrex puts a y cable on the GPS cable and draws power via that and logs its data via GPS co-ordinates.

I'm half way thru a "re-build" of my V1 phantom, basically got everything unplugged and out, still waiting on a couple of mounts and adapters and ill be piecing it all back together, hopefully very efficiently!

12. rilot

What does the FlyTrex get me that I don't get with the logging capability of the iOSD Mk2 and GPSexporter?

13. OI Photography

I have the iOSD II but I haven't installed it or checked the logging capability, but I know that all the data the flytrex logs is also displayed on the iOSD, so it may be redundant for you to use one.

The flytrex does have the ability to dump the data to a raw .csv file to use/import with other apps (such as Dashware and Google Earth), but it's the same data the NAZA registers, so it really won't give you any numbers you can't already see.

14. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

You have an IOSD on your P2V?

-slinger

15. Wintermute

I don't think the iOSD can display GPS coordinates.

16. OI Photography

Ahh ok, I was thinking it did display them, or at least log them. If not, then the flytrex would have the advantage there, but it's still the same GPS data the NAZA is using (doesn't come from a separate GPS module).

Nope, I got it for the 550 I'm building, I bought a Wookong-M and got the iOSD II and 2.4GHz Data Link for free. But I might try adding it (the OSD) to the Phantom at some point just for fun.

17. Fdnyfish

Attached Files:

18. HollyFlier

This thing looks pretty interesting! Has anyone installed it on a Phantom Vision, yet?

19. amitregev

HI HollyFlier :)

Just a short update to confirm that we installed Flytrex today with the Phantom Vision and everything is fully functional. Notice that the Phantom Vision uses Naza v2 flight controller and not the v1, so when connecting the Flytrex Phantom Cable inside to the Vision you need to connect one side to the GPS cable and the other side should go to the GPS slot on the Vision board (instead of connecting it to the Naza controller, like with the Phantom v1).

We're now working on new installation guide for the Vision and hoping to have this ready on our site in the next couple of days. :)

20. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Amit:

Thank you very much for addressing this. I'm SO looking forward to installing... Very cool concept !!! :) :) :)