Flytrex

Reaction score
I've been looking at the new 3G Flytrex. It looks good. In addition to the security of a GPS tracker you also get lots of flight data. Cool. And once you have purchased the unit it's not expensive to use. You can pick up a prepaid SIM from H2O Wireless for $10 that should last you about 3 months.

My question is... where would you mount it on the Vision 2+? All the pics I've seen are for the Vision 2. Any suggestions? Photos?

rbhamilton said:
I've been looking at the new 3G Flytrex. It looks good. In addition to the security of a GPS tracker you also get lots of flight data. Cool. And once you have purchased the unit it's not expensive to use. You can pick up a prepaid SIM from H2O Wireless for $10 that should last you about 3 months.

My question is... where would you mount it on the Vision 2+? All the pics I've seen are for the Vision 2. Any suggestions? Photos?

I use this custom mount from Fusion Imaging. That's my bird in the pics and video. I wanted something that gets the Flytrex away from the bird as much as possible to reduce the chance of interference and these guys came up with this for me.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2702608/ ... terialId=6

Other people mount it under the battery just behind the gimbal. It fits there but it is a tight fit.

Right below the battery is perfect and limits the amount of exposed wires. I use velcro which is much better then what is supplied.
My favorite feature is the data logger.

You'll find photos in this thread showing how I mounted mine. Note: Keep the rear edge even with the end of the battery slot so the Flytrex doesn't actually touch the gimbal. It is close but they don't touch. You can file down the front corners of the Flytrex case a bit to provide extra clearance. This installation method is clean and you hardly know it is there.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28149&p=258672&hilit=+Flytrex+Live+3G+#p258672

I also saw a Flytrex mount that installs between the rear landing skid posts. That method will add wind resistance.

Dirty Bird said:
You'll find photos in this thread showing how I mounted mine. Note: Keep the rear edge even with the end of the battery slot so the Flytrex doesn't actually touch the gimbal. It is close but they don't touch. You can file down the front corners of the Flytrex case a bit to provide extra clearance. This installation method is clean and you hardly know it is there.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28149&p=258672&hilit=+Flytrex+Live+3G+#p258672

I also saw a Flytrex mount that installs between the rear landing skid posts. That method will add wind resistance.

Agreed, you do get some resistance with the mount but it's minimal and I'd say not much more than the gimbal/camera itself as it mounts directly behind it. Even on very windy days I haven't noticed a very big impact on performance. Still able to get over 30mph which suits me just fine. The benefit of improved reception, less chance of interference and also it's 2nd use as a rear crash guard for the gimbal have all added up to a winner for me. :) I know how the speed freaks are though! So you've got to figure out what works best for what you want to do, like with everything else in life! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31