Flytrex vs iphone app for logging?

Reaction score
Disclaimer:
I'm a new Phantom Pilot... new enough, that Im probably still flying this with a foolish-looking grin on my face :)

So, I LOVE the way the flight data looks when merged with the flight video (been struggling with THIS (on MacOS) as well- but that's another story!)

I was considering a flytrex unit, but tried the iphone app utility to grab the data and its worked flawlessly for me.

So my question is this:

I definitely see the advantages of the Flytrex Live (automatic downloading of data, "blackbox" functionality), but
What advantage (if any) would there be using the core 2 vs my $8 software logging solution?

I have not used the app so can't comment what you gain there but using the Flytrex Core 2 I will say I like their web setup where you upload your missions to their server. You can select public or private. There is a place for notes, etc so I can look back on notes as well as see my dates, max speed, max distance, etc. You can export the data for Dashware and Google Earth. You can also link to a Youtube or Vimeo video if you have one. So its really a nice data record center.

The core 2 is always on the Phantom and even if you forget to insert a micro SD card its recording your missions. So if you later decided that you SHOULD have recorded something you can insert the card and get data. With the phone apps if you did not do it you are out of luck.

For me it works well. I am sure someday DJI will write the telemetry file and video/still image file to the same micro SD. Or better yet do the overlay for you with a toggle option.

I will be interested to see others comments to see about values that are on one compared to the others. Does your app show battery voltage? That is one thing I am missing from the Core 2.

I downloaded the logger app... Where do I get the data to import into dashware?
Where is the file saved to?
BTW.. I'm using an iPhone incase it matters....

thx !!

Jeremyconk said:
I downloaded the logger app... Where do I get the data to import into dashware?
Where is the file saved to?
BTW.. I'm using an iPhone incase it matters....

thx !!

Connect your iPhone to iTunes
Go to the apps tab
Vision + utility shows up as a data source in the bottom... You can download there

im using core2 to log every flight, i followed the recommendations on how to place the chip in the quad and obtain accurate data (the tiny square with the hole -i think its the barometer- should not face direct sun light) but im still doubtull about how accurate data is.

im pretty sure i went higher than 107 meters in this flight...
http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... cer-65688/

next week ill go to "torre mayor" the talles building in latin america and flight all the way up, the building is 225meters tall and will compare to flytrex data.

I've tried both.
The flytrex data is logged at consistent 250ms intervals.
The app logger has from half a second to almost two seconds between data points. Granted that's not much but the advantage goes to flytrex.

The flytrex logger continues to log even if you don't have a wifi connection to your phone. Advantage Flytrex.

The app creates a CSV file with the following data ...
latitude, longitude, altitude(feet), ascent(feet), speed(mph), distance(feet), time(millisecond), gps satellites, motor on (0/1)
It doesn't log any additional data over flytrex but it could in theory log everything that's shown on the app, including battery level.
Flytrex exports a CSV file with the following data ...
latitude, longitude, altitude(feet), ascent(feet), speed(mph), distance(feet), max_altitude(feet), max_ascent(feet), max_speed(mph), max_distance(feet), time(millisecond), datetime(utc), datetime(local), satellites, pressure(Pa), temperature(F)
Update: The "Flytex Live" logs battery voltage, and now I think it will export the battery voltage to the CSV file also. The core/core2 does not log battery voltage.

The flytrex data can be imported to the flytrex web site and can export a KML file for use in google earth or csv file for use with Dashware.
The app only provides a CSV file and a .raw file which doesn't seem to have any use so far.

cahutch said:
The flytrex logger continues to log even if you don't have a wifi connection to your phone. Advantage Flytrex.

Forgot about that. In some cases that's a big thing.

With the flytrex you will still know what happened after you lose FPV.

cahutch said:
I've tried both.
The app logger has from half a second to almost two seconds between data points. Granted that's not much but the advantage goes to flytrex.

latitude, longitude, altitude(feet), ascent(feet), speed(mph), distance(feet), time(millisecond), gps satellites, motor on (0/1)
It doesn't log any additional data over flytrex but it could in theory log everything that's shown on the app, including battery level.
latitude, longitude, altitude(feet), ascent(feet), speed(mph), distance(feet), max_altitude(feet), max_ascent(feet), max_speed(mph), max_distance(feet), time(millisecond), datetime(utc), datetime(local), satellites, pressure(Pa), temperature(F)
Update: The "Flytex Live" logs battery voltage, and now I think it will export the battery voltage to the CSV file also. The core/core2 does not log battery voltage.

The flytrex data can be imported to the flytrex web site and can export a KML file for use in google earth or csv file for use with Dashware.
The app only provides a CSV file and a .raw file which doesn't seem to have any use so far.

Wow.

I'm sold. You had me at "flytrex logs even when you lose wifi" - I completely missed that!

Thank you fdor the comprehensive comparison. It makes me think the app is nice.... but the flytrex has dramatic advantages.

Now.... which flytrex?

The Core seems a much more straightforward install.
Also, the weight difference is considerable- but is that enough to affect flying characteristics/flight time/etc that much?

Sorry for the dumb question- Ive not added any weight to my bird yet (except aluminum foil) :)

Where are you from? The live coverage sucks in us.I ordered one and cancelled order because in my opinion is not a reliable product in my location yet. They need a redesign with better modem technology.

rrmccabe said:
Where are you from? The live coverage sucks in us.I ordered one and cancelled order because in my opinion is not a reliable product in my location yet. They need a redesign with better modem technology.

Raleigh, NC.

Looks like T-mobile ids the only choice....

Hmmm, well, per their website- the coverage looks good (but I dont trust any carrier maps!)

Attachments

• tmobile.jpg
    tmobile.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 696
You need to remember its 2G coverage.

Also note 2G coverage is on the way out so the coverage will be getting worse as time goes on.

There are some other issues with priority that are beyond me but I would personally not trust it.

So take look at your map again for 2G.

rrmccabe said:
You need to remember its 2G coverage.

Also note 2G coverage is on the way out so the coverage will be getting worse as time goes on.

There are some other issues with priority that are beyond me but I would personally not trust it.

So take look at your map again for 2G.
I love the Core 2. Have had it for some time now and like it's interoperability with Dashware. I put mine in the Vision. It is a little tricky to thread the cable through the leg but works great.

cahutch said:
I've tried both.

cahutch should be paid for doing this much leg work. Nice job.

I have worked with Flytrex Core2, Flytrex Live Tracker, and the Vision+ Utility's Logger. I have countless hours with the FLT, and currently working in the same direction with the Vision+ Utility Logger.

Currently..... When comparing the three, a App and two devices, the best currently is the Core2.
-The Core2 is $50 + shipping, best to be bought from a dealer for much much quicker shipping. Very dependable, data can be used in Google Earth, as mentioned, and used with other hardware then just a vPlus quad.

- The FLT $190 + shipping, again buy from a flytrex dealer per shipping. This unit is in it's early development stages. It is NOT recommended for those in the US due to currently being dependent on the Dying 2G format. It's perfect for all other countries that good for 2G format. With this being $190+ it sits in it's own class due to the amount one is investing. This device is heavily dependent on a website being online since it is sold as being Live. In current state this one get the 3rd position. It has a lot of promise based on info I have received from the developer. But until this setup is minimal 3G compatible per the US, I would not even refer it to someone I didn't care for.

-The Vision+Utility App is priced based on the device it's being downloaded to. I believe it's under $9. The app is in middle stages of development and belongs to a developer that listens and works with members on improving the app. The app is not 100%. As cahutch mentioned, the current issues is with the logger. If it were not for this, I would easily place this one as #1 of the three on the list. The logger is currently functioning at a 80% level mainly due to millisecond gaps increased in last update. Prior to the developers last revision update, the logger was closer to functioning the 90% range. I personally have been working with the developer daily, we are close to getting the logger dialed in. Once that happens then the developer can add extra logging options. Keep in mind, the Vision+Utility App has numerous other features! Increase power separately to Range Extender and Camera Wifi, is a Huge Bonus. Also has ability to secure the connection coming into your vPlus.

Lowepg said:
OK, ok.... Im sold on the flytrex...

Any recommended dealers?

doesnt matter if you are going for the core2 or the flytrex live, buy it from ebay or a dealer.
youll save a lot of time on the shipping.

cahutch said:

You could actually imported the csv file to dashware with using the attached profile.

In android v3.9 Vision+ Utility can export a KML file for use in google earth.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31sugNe50Y[/youtube]

Attachments

• Vision+ Utility.rar
    2.6 KB · Views: 211
rrmccabe said:
cahutch said:

Forgot about that. In some cases that's a big thing.

With the flytrex you will still know what happened after you lose FPV.

But for a flyaway case viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23464&p=215484#p215484 that is why you need to consider our app. Since Flytrex core stored the flight info to a SD card, if unfortunately your Phantom flyaway, there is no way for you to have the flight info back. On the other hand, our app records all the real time data (eg. GPS, altitude , battery level, IMU detail) to your android device. Those info is very useful for you to analyze why your Phantom operates abnoramlly.

I wish I had read this thread before ordering the FLT :(. Ordered direct (didn't see it on Amazon), and I didn't realize it was 2G only.

andrewket2 said:
I wish I had read this thread before ordering the FLT :(. Ordered direct (didn't see it on Amazon), and I didn't realize it was 2G only.

Have they shipped it? If not, cancel the order.

They refunded my credit card immediately when I finally got a hold of them.

Flytrex core 2 FTW! Just ordered another for my old vision bird. Pretty hard to beat for $56. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik