Flytrex users - installation suggestions

Reaction score
My Flytrex should be here today. I know they show how to install it but was wondering if any users who have installed this have any installation tips. Do and don't type things. Seems relatively simple but thought I would ask before I start.

Nope Flytrex works with NAZA-equipped aircraft, camera-equipped or otherwise.

Super-D, Amit and I tried to find a method that was both neat and easy to do for beginners with minimal potential for damage. The "official" suggestion is the one we came up with as a "least worse" option.

At your own risk you can make a neater installation by either cutting the Flytrex cable, passing it through the holes just inboard of the landing skid legs and re-soldering, or by carefully pushing all the pins out of the plug on the end of the Flytrex cable, threading through the same hole, then re-inserting the pins.

Both these methods risk damaging the Flytrex cable and so couldn't be recommended in case there were accusations of profiteering ("I tried your way and now I've got to by another one of your cables" kind of thing). I fly mine still fitted exactly the same way as in the photos I took for the how-to and I've never had any issues. The bit of wire protruding from the shell isn't brittle and doesn't even rub when I put it back in the flight case. The only thing I'd say is add a couple of layers of thin tape where it exits the shell in case you leave any snaggy bits.

Personal recommendations? I use 3M Command Picture Hanging Strips for attaching Flytrex core to bottom of VIsion - kind of like velcro on steroids but completely removable from both surfaces if required - also handily already in Phantom White! I also bundled up the excess cable inside the shell and tied it up with a piece of bog standard string! Easy to undo if I need to and saves snipping cable ties and risking nicking the cable. The excess cable fits nicely to the right of the flight controller (viewed from the rear of the Vision) and there's no problem putting the lid back on.

Enjoy!

Video on how to open up the Vision in my sig below if you need it, lists tools required as well.

Thanks Pull Up. Appreciate the info. I'm looking on their site but don't see anything about the size (max or min) for the SD card. Do you happen to know?

Super-D said:
Thanks Pull Up. Appreciate the info. I'm looking on their site but don't see anything about the size (max or min) for the SD card. Do you happen to know?

Super-D any size SD card you have spare, its small file size.. I use the one supplied with the PV and upgraded to 32 for camera ;)

Ha me too! Used the factory supplied card in the Flytrex and stuck a class 10 Sandisk in the Vision - quite handy.

From the Flytrex Core Manual on their website:

Flytrex Core Micro SD

Flytrex Core records your flight details to a micro SD (card not provided with package). You can use any micro SD between 1GB to 32GB formatted with 16FAT or 32FAT - so most micro SD cards will work right from the box. 1GB gives you approx 40,000 minutes of flight recording.

Take me a while to fill it up...!

Pull_Up said:
or by carefully pushing all the pins out of the plug on the end of the Flytrex cable, threading through the same hole, then re-inserting the pins.

I received my Flytrex yesterday and installed it in my PV tonight. I was able to use a straightened paper clip to bend the small barbs in the connector down slightly so I could remove each of the wires. Note the wire order before removing the pins. If you look on the side side of the connector with the two raised "skids" you will see an arrow on the right side. From left to right the colors should be Orange, Brown, Red, Orange. I found it easy to run the wire through the back right leg hole with the white plug removed. I did not attempt to reinstall the plug. I did find that I needed to bend each of the barbs back up slightly (and carefully) so they would re-seat properly in the plastic connector. Photo below.

I hope to test it this weekend if I can tolerate some cold weather for a battery or so. I'll share results once I get some uploaded to the site. I also intend on marrying some video with Dashware soon. I will share once I get some results.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_8235.jpeg
    IMG_8235.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 601

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31