Flytrex Thread

Reaction score
I spoke to Amit with Flytrex by email and the most recent Phantom 3 update info is that they will be ready to ship in the next 3.5 - 4.5 weeks which will be 1 week after they finish shipping the Inspire1 batch out 1st.

So I'm waiting on a response back now to find out if a adapter for the P3 will be available before the mentioned weeks.

Hey Frank, since your in contact with Amit could you get any information on the form factor or possibly mounting arrangements. Also I read the P3 has a builtin CAN-BUS

Hey Frank, since your in contact with Amit could you get any information on the form factor or possibly mounting arrangements. Also I read the P3 has a builtin CAN-BUS
I would be shocked if the form factor changed.... That's months of production. They'll disect a p3 decode the BUS and put it in an adapter. Worst case you solder the power leads to the board and mount the device w Velcro behind the battery. Best case, in a few months, there's a solderless option, from which you will gain nothing for months after that except the cost of solder.

anyone know if you can use an existing Flytrex Live 3G unit with the new mounting and cable?

The Flytrex device will work, the CANBUS adapter will not. Don't sell the device, either wait for a new adapter, or solder the leads yourself.

Am I correct in assuming that you will need to open up the bird in either option (soldering or adapter)
Soldering seems obvious
Adapter seems like you would have to as well?

Am I correct in assuming that you will need to open up the bird in either option (soldering or adapter)
Soldering seems obvious
Yep, either way you gotta crack her open. Adapter only avoids the soldering part.

Yep, either way you gotta crack her open. Adapter only avoids the soldering part.

I know there are various views on how good the dji warranty is, but Tahoe Ed did say that if we open up the Phantom the warranty will be void, how they would actually know I'm not sure, but if the Flytrex is attached it will be obvious. This is what put me off going down the Flytrex route. What I am wondering is if a main dealer/service center did the install would you retain the warranty?

Soldering seems obvious

Absolutely. It's called bonding with ur quad.

No response from Amit concerning a new adapter availability and price.

In looking with the top cover removed, it appears flytrex product may only have one option for connect-ability.

p3plug.jpg

Absolutely. It's called bonding with ur quad.

No response from Amit concerning a new adapter availability and price.

In looking with the top cover removed, it appears flytrex product may only have one option for connect-ability.
Is the GPS plug the same as the V+? I'd think there's gotta be a CAN port under that black box as well?

Now, if an ESC fails, you have to replace everything.

Which might actually work to our advantage since they can mass produce the whole board knowing it's the only thing that'll need replacing, driving the cost down (which imo is how they were able to do these price points to begin with). Also, service time and shell replacement time will be greatly reduced, thus driving the cost down too.

I know there are various views on how good the dji warranty is, but Tahoe Ed did say that if we open up the Phantom the warranty will be void, how they would actually know I'm not sure, but if the Flytrex is attached it will be obvious. This is what put me off going down the Flytrex route. What I am wondering is if a main dealer/service center did the install would you retain the warranty?

I guess since nobody has had warranty issues because the cover was removed yet, and without knowing how the Flytrex device will connect makes this all speculation for now.

Regardless, I know I need piece of mind of knowing where my quad is at in the event it goes down for some reason or flies away. I personally think anyone who flies without some sort of gsp tracker is a fool. I had 1 phantom fly-away last year and never saw it again. No warranty to cover it either. Out of pocket learning experience. Lost another due to my fault for allowing it to get out of range and hover until the battery exhausted. It came down in a cornfield 1/8th mile from me as I watched it. Never found it. Walked a 8 acre fully grown cornfield 3 1/2 times with no luck...a mystery. Then lost 2 more, both dropped out of the sky from just above me. I was nearly finished rebuilding one when the new P3P arrived.

Talk a wild guess how many of the 3 that were not my fault got warranty coverage. The answer is "0". Guess how many hours I invested into trying to get DJI's support. A Ton of hours! Believe me....dji has not been very good to me, and I'll leave it at that.

So anyway..... In addition to the Flytrex option. Maybe some developer will build a tracker system into his app. I do like the Flytrex with it's ability to transmit to a cell tower if in range.

I actually deleted a paragraph of info on connecting devices to that connector. I did so cause I thought it would be best to let there 1st be a problem before getting into the subject any further.

I have little faith in any warranty and frequently void them anyway. When I buy anything with a warranty I give it a quick out of the box test before opening it up to make mods. I consider the Flytrex purchase as insurance that is worth more than the warranty.

Reactions: cmyk22 and bbfpv
Updated Info:

Flytrex will soon announce a new Dedicated Flytrex Live P3 Mount. It will allow the FTL 3G to be located on the landing gear so there will be no aero drag while in forward motion.

Amit failed to respond back. It's unsure if any beta testing was done with the mount on the landing gear. As well as if the FLT 3G would interfere with any incoming or outgoing transmissions of any kind? You know if he didn't get a chance to put it through all of the paces, you know we will.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers