Flytrex on P2

Reaction score
Just finished installing the Flytrex. I recommend taking the pins out of the connector by using a push pin then route the cable through a leg hole then re-pin the connector. I had to bend the tang on the pins to get them to click back into the connector but all is well and the install is clean with no mods to the P2. I suggest you test de-pinning on the single flytrex cable before doing it for real.

Attachments

• IMG_20140309_084128.jpg
    IMG_20140309_084128.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 510
I have experienced no problems with the Flytrex. My Phantom 2 flies as well as it ever did. I also picked up DashWare so I could overlay the flytrex data on the video. The Flytrex badges give me something to do besides fly around and take great videos.

Bill_Burkert said:
Just finished installing the Flytrex. I recommend taking the pins out of the connector by using a push pin then route the cable through a leg hole then re-pin the connector. I had to bend the tang on the pins to get them to click back into the connector but all is well and the install is clean with no mods to the P2. I suggest you test de-pinning on the single flytrex cable before doing it for real.

Very tidy job, well done.

Quick question on the flytrex. Is the data visible at all while you fly, or is it only recorded and available upon landing?
I really only want to know how high I am flying. I have only had my p2 for a week, and have gone up high, as high as I can stomach, but really have no idea how close it would be to "too high"....

If I just fly up, will it eventually get out of range, stop and return on its own(by design, if all things go according to plan....)

Thanks
Eric

Flytrex data is only available after you land and remove the memory card from it, and then upload it to the flytrex site.

To see exactly how high the Phantom is while flying, you'll need an FPV setup that includes an OSD, or a separate telemetry system like the ones found in certain aftermarket RC radios.

You could use failsafe (aka RTH) to fly up and out of range, but I wouldn't advise it. Even if it didn't result in an unwanted crash (which it has for some people, based on what can be found on youtube), the Phantom can easily reach altitudes that would put it in the airspace normally used by commercial air traffic.

Also remember to not let the antenna on your transmitter point straight up at the Phantom when it's right above you (or anytime really), or the range at which you have control will be significantly reduced

How about taping/strapping my cell phone to the Phantom, turning the cellular data off and turning GPS on, recording info that way??

cvagrad86 said:
How about taping/strapping my cell phone to the Phantom, turning the cellular data off and turning GPS on, recording info that way??

Because that would be adding a lot of unnecessary weight (and risk loss of your phone) to achieve the same thing the flytrex board will give you.

but I already own the phone...and it doesnt have to be wired, etc. I was more wondering if there would be some interference that I dont know about.
Thanks,
Eric

cvagrad86 said:
but I already own the phone...and it doesnt have to be wired, etc. I was more wondering if there would be some interference that I dont know about.
Thanks,
Eric

Understood, and yes that would be the cheaper option for you. I'd weigh your phone before flying just so you'll have an idea of what affect it will have on flight times.

As long as you make sure wifi and data are off you should be safe mounting it on the Phantom, other's have done the same successfully.

Bill_Burkert said:
I had to bend the tang on the pins to get them to click back into the connector

How did you do this? I "practiced" and did it with a needle, prying it up after feeding it back into the plastic. Just curious if your way is better.

You can also have the Flytrex cable come out one of the side vent holes...

Attachments

• P2 Flytrex Vent.jpg
    P2 Flytrex Vent.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 347
I wish I saw all these nice pictures before I took a hot knife to mine.

Looks very tidy.
Mine is just as functional though :)

I have one of these I use for running. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Foreru...TF8&qid=1396615702&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+305 Think I'll strap it to the P2 and see how it works (records GPS tracks, altitude). I think it will even calculate how many calories the flight took! Certainly expensive compared to a flytrex, but I already have it.

My only hesitation is something I seem to remember about having GPS receivers too close to each other and possible interference between them.

They are just receivers, not transmitters, so don't see why they would cause issues with each other?

jondrew said:
My only hesitation is something I seem to remember about having GPS receivers too close to each other and possible interference between them.

There is no problem siting them close together. I've got a GPS tracker just below the GPS puck in the P2 and a Flytrex under that. Three receivers within 50mm of eachother.

goldfishrock said:
jondrew said:

There is no problem siting them close together. I've got a GPS tracker just below the GPS puck in the P2 and a Flytrex under that. Three receivers within 50mm of eachother.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Need to figure where to mount it so it can see the sky and not cover the main antenna

Flytrex installed. Pushed the pins out and fed it through the leg like Bill did.

What's the other port on the chip for? To daisy chain it to something else?

Weather is crappy today. Hopefully will get a flight in with it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

poostik said:

When used in non-Phantom platforms with a NAZA, the GPS feed is looped through the Flytrex so both ports are needed. Only with the Phantom do you use the cable that only connects to one port.

OI Photography said:
When used in non-Phantom platforms with a NAZA, the GPS feed is looped through the Flytrex so both ports are needed. Only with the Phantom do you use the cable that only connects to one port.

Ahhh. Thanks. I'm sure that info is out there but you guys are faster than me trying to find it :D

OI Photography said:
poostik said:

You can also unplug the Flytrex and leave the cable hanging and still get GPS on the phantom. It is a paralleled connection off of the GPS rather than a looped in and out connection.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1