Flytrex Live 3G installed, new VTX mount

Reaction score
I added a really nice new component to my Phantom 2 this weekend - the Flytrex Live 3G. For those that don't know, this is the equivalent to the little black box that exists on commercial aircraft. With it attached, I'm able to see a live flight path - including altitude, distance, speed and orientation - all as an overlay onto a satellite map. The data can be viewed on the web via a live profile page, or can be viewed on an app on an iPhone, iPad or Android device. Once of the best features of the Flytrex Live 3G is that it's always transmitting location data when the Phantom has battery charge and is turned on. So if for some reason I ever experience a fly-away, or the **** thing drops out of the sky, I have an accurate "point-last-seen" so I can find it.

The installation did require some creative modification thought. I had to figure out how to mount it without getting in the way of the video downlink transmitter. I didn't want to have a ton of parts all velcro'ed together. I really wanted it to look nice, and be a great enhancement for my quad. So, to solve the problem, I moved my video transmitter into the shell of the quad. This required me to get an extension which can be found here and find a new mounting location for the antenna. In the end, I'm super happy with the results. Take a look below...

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

You forgot to post pictures of the inside!
Clean Install. I just bought a flytrex but I need a bracket as I have lightbridge and the air station side is fitted where you have the flytrex unit.

This install ended up being a bad idea. I ended up having a flyaway on my first flight after completing the mods. And since I made several mods at once, I have no way to pinpoint exactly what the problem was.

On first launch, I calibrated the compass, launched to about 10 feet, and started checking the controls. I noticed some significant drift, but confirmed GPS and good satellite lock through my FPV screen. Then the drifting got worse, and I had no control. My quad flew straight into a bush and crashed, breaking a prop and one of the landing skids.

Back to the workbench. I undid everything except the Flytrex mount, re-located my VTx back under the quad by mounting it directly to the Flytrex with some 3M tape. Re-calibrated the compass and everything is just fine now.

I'm thinking that there was some interference from the VTx to the flight controller due to the proximity. Or I could be pulling that straight out'a my ***. But either way, it's fixed now.

Curious to know how others have done with bringing their VTx inside the shell...

Love where you positioned the antenna for FPV, such a clean build. Shame it didn't work out. I was just about to do what you had then read about the fly away. Hope all is well and you're back flying again.

backcountrymedic said:
This install ended up being a bad idea. I ended up having a flyaway on my first flight after completing the mods. And since I made several mods at once, I have no way to pinpoint exactly what the problem was.

On first launch, I calibrated the compass, launched to about 10 feet, and started checking the controls. I noticed some significant drift, but confirmed GPS and good satellite lock through my FPV screen. Then the drifting got worse, and I had no control. My quad flew straight into a bush and crashed, breaking a prop and one of the landing skids.

Back to the workbench. I undid everything except the Flytrex mount, re-located my VTx back under the quad by mounting it directly to the Flytrex with some 3M tape. Re-calibrated the compass and everything is just fine now.

I'm thinking that there was some interference from the VTx to the flight controller due to the proximity. Or I could be pulling that straight out'a my ***. But either way, it's fixed now.

Curious to know how others have done with bringing their VTx inside the shell...

Make sure you didn't move your compass around. If you did, it needs to be mounted within 0-1 degrees of where it was.

All is well since returning things back to where they go. However I do have one question...

Why the need to be so precise with compass location? According to the DJI Wiki for the P2, they imply that it's fine to move it as long as you calibrate the compass after the move. In fact, with the taller and wider legs I have on mine (for almost a year now) mine is definitely moved some.

I put my VTx side-by-side with the FL3G under the belly of my P2. VTx on starboard, Flytrex on port, with Flytrex logo facing ground and bar code facing underside of P2. Tight fit there. Need to think about access for sim card, USB port, etc. Would be interested in a good VTx rig that could possibly move it further outboard off the belly. iOSD and CAN-Bus components are inside, up front, stuck to inside front of shell with double-sided tape. Anti-interference board inside as well. Tight fit, lots of cabling, but all good, and have flown 2km with very good control and FPV signal, and good Flytrex flight tracks. Never considered putting VTx inside due to heat considerations, based on what I have read elsewhere.

Kelly

Heat was a concern for sure, so when I did move the VTx inside, I put it next to one of the side vents. My CAN-bus and iOSD are inside and up front as well.

backcountrymedic said:
All is well since returning things back to where they go. However I do have one question...

Why the need to be so precise with compass location? According to the DJI Wiki for the P2, they imply that it's fine to move it as long as you calibrate the compass after the move. In fact, with the taller and wider legs I have on mine (for almost a year now) mine is definitely moved some.

So was it a compass location issue?
I don't know the answer about why it has to be precise. I got the wider legs and when I first took off, it crashed immediately even with calibration.

I don't know if it was a compass issue or not. I was thinking it was a VTx proximity to the flight controller issue. But I wasn't about to risk it again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl