Flying your P3 around the neighborhood, it's gets shot down

FAA's definition "unmanned aircraft" excepts "model aircraft," no? However, I'm not an U.S. resident, just curious...
FAA recently 2014 changed drones from model aircraft to aircraft. Although this was against Congress's FMRA directive of 2012. The FAA doesn't understand that Congress makes the laws of them.
Anyway, checkout the story of the guy in Kentucky that shot down a drone. He had to pay for it.
BTW; even though the idiots at the FAA, now call a drone aircraft they have gone on record stating that shooting one down only involves local authorities not them,,,go figure.

Reactions: taroh
Invite everyone to a certain Kentucky neighborhood for Drone-A-Thon 2015? I think it'd be fun to pester the prick in the news video, as long as you stay within the confines of the law.

Threatening to shoot someone if they pass your side walk line is also ignorant too. The city property line goes well into your front yard, driveway and sometimes includes your side yard.

It is clear this guy is an embarrassment to all the conservatives and right wing folks out there; although I consider myself to be more of a libertarian...

I just wish the Phantom 3 came with an awesome spy camera capable of doing what this ignorant guy thinks is possible with a $1270 drone.

Here's a video showing the kind of person who really has no business owning a firearm: http://www.wdrb.com/story/29670583/...ry-produces-video-he-claims-shows-flight-path

by one of your neighbors... What do you do?

The drone pilot in Kentucky is not accused of breaking any law. Pilots of fixed wing, rotary wing, manned and UAV have been taking photos, from the air, for many decades. Once you have walked outside your front or back door, your “expectation of privacy” has ended. That’s why there are dress requirements when you walk outside your door.

The shooter was not “protecting his property”. His property was not in danger. I’m sure he sees other aircraft fly over his house frequently without trying to zig-zag around private property boundaries. It amazes me that some people think they own/control the airspace over their property. The FAA assigns and regulates airspace. Airspace is public space; just like the street in front of my house or the lake behind my house. I can take photos from either of those public spaces.

The shooter wants us to believe that his daughter is such a prize that people would conduct aerial photography missions just for the opportunity to photograph her.

The shooter broke several laws and should be prosecuted. The pilot should file civil suit to recover the cost of his P3.

Reactions: 43k and Skipholiday
Simple. Call the police and let them handle it. Confronting someone unstable enough to shoot a gun in your neighborhood may not end well for either of you.
Best reply to the question; but why would you want to fly over your neighbors, do supermodels live in your neighborhood?

Reactions: BlackHawk388
I hope that the drone owners story is correct and having the drones data as evidence is a plus. But now that the media has the story out as man shoots down drone over his property and goes to jail, well it looks really bad for us responsible drone owners. I need to stop referring to a quad-copter as a drone. It sounds bad. Ok QC is better.

I have explained to my loudly complaining neighbor that any flying over his property was incidental, and not the purpose of my flights, and even though he had no legal basis for complaining, that I still was interested in addressing his concerns. He backed down after a civil discussion, and I told him I would try and minimize any incidental flying over his property, and gave him my full name and home phone number for any other concerns he might have, but told him I would only discuss them after safely landing the aircraft, never during! Haven't heard from him since. :cool:

Regardless it's private property and they can't lawfully do that. Seems to definitely be an issue for the local law enforcement.

I usually assure people that I can invade their privacy much easier with a step ladder and a camera with telephoto lens than I can by using a noisy drone equipped with a wide angle lens. LOL.
Not only that but the courts have ruled that up to your front door the pubic has a right to knock on your door. For example a guy had a mean dog in his fenced in yard and some religious people opened the gate to go knock on the door and the dog attacked one of them and they were found liable in court. I live in a private 'hood but we can't even keep the religious zealots out, or salesmen for that matter. Not legally anyway if they wanted to take you to tort court.

Also if someone wants to spy for nefarious acts what's to stop them from parking across the street with binoculars and/or a camera? Nothing...It's public. People may get upset by drones but if most of them saw what the camera sees they would notice that it isn't able to identify someone from over 100' other than the color of clothing. The better camera would even have difficulty at a lower altitude. If a spy satellite can tell the feds what brand of cigarettes a person is smoking from space then there isn't much privacy at all is there?

BTW Putting up a sign saying "mean dog" doesn't limit one from liability. According to law it is illegal to have a dog that attacks humans without provocation.

I'd buy the guy a beer and apologize for intruding in his space uninvited and explain what I was doing and that I wasnt snooping or spying. If I'd done the latter part of this response BEFORE flying over his property, the drone would never have beem shot (either the guy would have approved, or I would have avoided his property knowing his objection). I'd inquire whether, once I replaced it, he'd like to come fly it with me and whether he continues to object to my flying over his property.
The drone owner *did* go to the shooter's home, and before any conversation could occur the trigger-happy nut said that if he crossed the sidewalk there would be another shooting. there's no talking to them.

Before??? If I am going to take photos of a house for a realtor, how many doors am I supposed to knock on before flying?

The drone owner *did* go to the shooter's home, and before any conversation could occur the trigger-happy nut said that if he crossed the sidewalk there would be another shooting. there's no talking to them.

Before??? If I am going to take photos of a house for a realtor, how many doors am I supposed to knock on before flying?
That's a good point Steve. Once I get my 333, my procedures will include passing out an information flyer with photos at different heights (so they see there's no telephoto ability) to every house around my target (if it is a crowded neighborhood) I plan to overfly. Flyer will have my credentials on it and phone/email. How many notifications can it be, one house on each side, one behind and one across the street? If it's a farm or ranch by itself I'm certainly not likely to do that. If anyone has an objection then they have the opportunity to speak up. Not that that cinches the deal. I'll explain the laws and still fly. But if the whiner makes an issue then hey I tried. And the cops will see I'm a reasonable fellow.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub