Flying your P3 around the neighborhood, it's gets shot down

Sarcasm in canada? Oh, please. They smile because they do not understand a word. Aboot, abooot, Ehh man?
If you're going to use Canajan, you should understand it. Check out Charlie Farquharson's dictionary of Canadian terms. It's got big print. And lots of pictures. And popup's. You'll like it.

If you're going to use Canajan, you should understand it. Check out Charlie Farquharson's dictionary of Canadian terms. It's got big print. And lots of pictures. And popup's. You'll like it.

Thanks. I do not want to read anything about that strange village. It is the worst place on Earth. By the way, my Mom and Dad are Canadians. So, I know what I am talking aboooot. I am so happy that I am not in Canada anymore.

OP, definitely call the police and ask for their report because shooting at an aircraft is a federal offense: 18 U.S. Code § 32 - 'Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities'. [link]
Then call your local US Attorney.

If the FAA considers our drones aircraft for the purposes of enforcing 14 CFR §91.13 'Careless and Reckless', then our drones are aircraft for 18 USC §32 - 'Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities', 49 USC §46504 - 'Interference with flight crew members' and 49 USC §40103 - 'Sovereignty and use of airspace'.

What if the pilot was inept at flying his craft, could I throw tomatoes at it to show my distaste in his flying skills?

What if one of my barrage balloons take him out?

Barrage_balloons_over_London_during_World_War_II.jpg

Has the FAA prosecuted any cases where someone shot a drone?
It wouldn't be the FAA. The applicable law is 18 U.S. Code § 32 - 'Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities', so it would be up to the US Attorney to prosecute. I am not aware of any such prosecutions so far, but the first time an Amazon Air drone gets shot down, you can expect a prosecution.

Reactions: Gosling1
Discharging a weapon within most city limits is a crime. In California we can charge them with shooting at an inhabited dwelling, which they are because the projectiles have come down somewhere. As for the bat, Felony Vandalism based on the value of the quad.
Have you seen the latest drone shooting in Kentucky? This man was arrested for firing his gun at a drone. But if his story is true saying his daughter was sunbathing in their backyard, well I can not blame him for taking out the drone. It is this type of BS that will cause responsible drone owners not to be able to fly around their neighborhood.

I do not let my 2 year old have things either ;)
In Texas I think it's pretty common to train your kids how to use a gun before they can spell the word. ;-)

Reactions: SENC
Have you seen the latest drone shooting in Kentucky? This man was arrested for firing his gun at a drone. But if his story is true saying his daughter was sunbathing in their backyard, well I can not blame him for taking out the drone. It is this type of BS that will cause responsible drone owners not to be able to fly around their neighborhood.
two sides to that story. seems the father embellished it to favor his actions. Drone owner said he was taking pictures of a friends home. he has the drones logged path. "The drone's owner, David Boggs, says the drone wasn't hovering low over anyone's property, showing flight tracking data to local media that indicates an altitude of more than 250 feet. And he says he wasn't trying to invade anyone's privacy." https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-emerges-over-drone-shot-down-by-kentucky-man

Here in Oklahoma (although to add to the above I am Canadian eh?) because drones have been used in cattle rustling it is legal to shoot a drone if it is flying over your property. Now, here in the suburbs you are still under laws about discharging firearms inside city limits but if you are out on your ranch and someone is doing a fly over you can shoot that bird down no questions asked.f

Reactions: SENC
I'd buy the guy a beer and apologize for intruding in his space uninvited and explain what I was doing and that I wasnt snooping or spying. If I'd done the latter part of this response BEFORE flying over his property, the drone would never have beem shot (either the guy would have approved, or I would have avoided his property knowing his objection). I'd inquire whether, once I replaced it, he'd like to come fly it with me and whether he continues to object to my flying over his property.

It amazes me how little courtesy we have for our neighbors (both formal definition and global definition). We have become a totally "me" culture ready at once to defend "my" right to fly wherever the hell I want and ignore the next person's right to private enjoyment of their property. Could the guy have warned the pilot in some way, yes, and I think that would have been the better course than shooting it - so I'm not condoning the shoot first approach. I am saying, though, that were I piloting that craft I would accept responsibility.

None of the above touches on the legality or illegality of shooting in town or FAA regs or anything else. My comments are purely on my personal response to the question based on my own ethics and morals. In short, if I fly where I don't have permission then I take (and accept) the risk of someone believing their rights are endangered and taking action to protect them. If I don't want that risk, then I get permission or fly somewhere else. It is called personal responsibility and accountability. The same is true, by the way, were I the shooter. If I were to shoot down a drone over my property then I'd be subject to whatever laws were on the books in that area.

Here in Oklahoma (although to add to the above I am Canadian eh?) because drones have been used in cattle rustling it is legal to shoot a drone if it is flying over your property. Now, here in the suburbs you are still under laws about discharging firearms inside city limits but if you are out on your ranch and someone is doing a fly over you can shoot that bird down no questions asked.f
Not true at all. There was a bill making it's way through the House at one time to allow this, but Gov. Fallin nixed it. Shoot at aircraft at your own risk!

Reactions: Skipholiday

Cite the statute, or else I'm calling BS.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl