Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying your P3 around the neighborhood, it's gets shot down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spankybear, Jul 30, 2015.

1. spankybear

by one of your neighbors... What do you do?

2. BlackHawk388

Simple. Call the police and let them handle it. Confronting someone unstable enough to shoot a gun in your neighborhood may not end well for either of you.

3. Sky King

You call the police and file charges. No different than shooting at a helo or low flying fixed wing aircraft.

4. MapMaker53

At present time, the FAA considers drones to be unmanned "aircraft". And since it's a federal crime to fire at an aircraft of any type, I would say the shooter could technically be put in prison for a very long time if there are mandatory minimum sentences for such an offense under federal law. Either way.. the shooter is more of a danger to society than a drone owner and should be put jail.

5. phantom3menace

Okay, so we can't shoot down a drone that might be in places where it shouldn't be. What about coming after the drone with a good old fashioned baseball bat if it's low enough? Would it be fair game then? lol

6. sharper4

7. Dmacken1

Not to mention the guy owes you a new drone too for destroying your personal property.

Gosling1 likes this.
  8. taroh

FAA's definition "unmanned aircraft" excepts "model aircraft," no? However, I'm not an U.S. resident, just curious...

9. MPD352

Discharging a weapon within most city limits is a crime. In California we can charge them with shooting at an inhabited dwelling, which they are because the projectiles have come down somewhere. As for the bat, Felony Vandalism based on the value of the quad.

10. tomtnt

how about spraying water on the quad? or paint ball?

how low would the quad have to be for it to count as trespassing and give you the right to protect your property?

11. spankybear

Lets just say this isn't California and it's not uncommon to shoot around these parts...

RoyVa likes this.
  12. BenDronePilot

Unless the person is literally landing their quad in your property you have no grounds for trespassing or warrant to attempt to damage or vandalize the quad just for flying over head. In either case deliberately damaging or destroying something as expensive as a Phantom 3 can get you put into jail.

13. rmfa

Actually you would have to physically attack the person with the drone for them to claim 'self defence.' Its the only real way to get out of it.

http://gizmodo.com/is-it-ok-to-shoot-down-your-neighbors-drone-1718055028

14. MapMaker53

I usually assure people that I can invade their privacy much easier with a step ladder and a camera with telephoto lens than I can by using a noisy drone equipped with a wide angle lens. LOL.

fall2fast and Gosling1 like this.
  15. MPD352

Is anyone developing hard points to mount weapons on the P3. A little snake and nape for the neighbor?

NepenthesLucas likes this.
  16. wordsmith

I'm Canadian. We're not allowed to have guns. Most of my neighbors just hurl pithy comments at me.;)

17. BlackHawk388

For some reason, this really cracked me up! I have a few Canadian friends and fine, cutting, yet somehow polite, sarcasm seems to be their specialty. Well done!

scottoftheforest and wordsmith like this.
  18. wordsmith

We're not allowed to have swords either. Hence the "cutting sarcasm". Had to get a special permit for my P3. They thought the rotor blades were concealed weapons because you couldn't see them when they were up to speed. Hmmm, might be something there to use against irritating neighbors...

19. MPD352

20. tvckz

Sarcasm in canada? Oh, please. They smile because they do not understand a word. Aboot, abooot, Ehh man?