Flying your drone in Israel

Reaction score
I have had a couple of queries about flying drones in Israel so thought I would put together what I know and have found out.

First, like many other countries, the issue of drones is still pretty much "up in the air" (pun intended). There are laws and regulations but they are not always enforced. Having said that, don't take this to mean that you can fly wherever your want because, well, think about Israel's situation and you'll understand.

There are A LOT of no fly zones here - I'll attach a couple of maps. A lot is common sense - don't fly over military installations for example. Your drone isn't likely to be shot out of the sky but you may get a visit from the Police. I know personally people who flew to close to "sensitive facilities" and within 5 minutes they were told, to land and go away. You can't fly (legally at least) close to land borders (the actual distance depends on which border) and a lot of the Med coastline is a no fly zone. I know people who fly regularly along the coast but they don't go above 50 meters (which is plenty) and they stay well clear of navy vessels etc. Again, this shouldn't be taken as meaning that you can ignore the regulations, its your responsibility.

General restrictions (there may well be more that I don't know about):

• No flying at heights exceeding 50m above ground, unless specifically authorised by the Aerial Trafficking Unit governing that airspace, unless the published regulations prohibit the designated area completely.
    • Where current daylight visibility is less than 3Km
    • At distances less than 250m from a residential area, a school, a cinema, or any crowd.
    • Less than 2km from an airport, air-traffic tower or any runways
    • Less than 500m from active drone training grounds unless granted permission by airport administrator, or otherwise published in the regulations.
(Taken from a post that can be found at http://www.quora.com/Where-can-I-legally-fly-a-drone-in-Tel-Aviv-Israel)

Israeli Civil Aviation Authority ( http://en.caa.gov.il/). They have an English site but it is devoted primarily "real" aircraft. I did manage to find a few pieces of info (in English) which seem to be relevant at this link - http://en.caa.gov.il/index.php?opti...le&iotype=w&id=408&Itemid=272&lang_ovrrde=ENG. Look at ENR-5 and ENR-6 which deal with no fly zones and other info. They have a load of info in Hebrew about drone flying but translating it would take for ever. If enough people ask, I may try to translate the main points - but no promises.

There are a few places in Israel that sell and fly drones. One (DJI Dealer) is LoolTV. They may not thank me for this, but they may be able to give you more info. [email protected].

These are the files I've uploaded:
Alef17 - Map of no-fly zones
CVFR North - detailed map NFZ North
CVFE South - take a guess...
ENR 5-1 - Restricted areas - GPS coordinates
ENR_5-1-Final - Another map of restricted area

All seems pretty formidable I know. But if you are coming here with your drone, there are some great place to see and fly over. Also if you apply in advance, some exceptions can be made (so I'm told at least). I'll try to find out more and post updates whenever I get them.

Feel free to contact me - I'll try to help.

Attachments

• CVFR-North 2014_ web.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,824
  • CVFR-South 2014_ web.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 930
  • Alef-17-Alef.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,212
  • ENR_5-1-Final.pdf
    221 KB · Views: 970
  • ENR_6-6-Final.pdf
    521.2 KB · Views: 1,098
Last edited:
Reactions: teapot
Thanks for posting this. Can't read Hebrew - is it safe to fly a drone around Safed area?

Well it is a very hilly and heavily forested area so you would have to be very careful (we call them mountains but...) Right next to Safed on one of the highest peaks in the area is a military no-fly zone that I would definitely avoid. There are also some other military bases in the area so use your common sense. But if you are thinking of low level flights, LOS flights along some valleys etc. you should be fine.

The area is also dotted with religious tombs and I am not sure whether overflying and filming them would be OK with the people visiting them.

This is my opinion anyway, but the final decision is up to you because all I am is a regular citizen with no inside information

Last edited:
I did not go yet. I might go next month. If I do I will publish stills. Thanks again for your info.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for posting all of these details. I looked at the NFZ maps and it was hard to decipher but it appears that flying over Caesarea is legit. I didn't see on the map the coast being off limits. Is it all along that coast that is a no fly zone?

I'm going to Israel in Feb and was thinking some port shots (Jaffa, Caesarea, Akko) would be very cool out over the water looking back. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Jaffa and Akko should be no problem. Bear in mind that Jaffa is a very highly developed and expensive area. Akko is much closer to its original format and you should be able to get some great shots of the port - which is still a working fisherman's port and the old walls - especially on the northern end of the city.

Caesaria however is a national park and the entire are is under the jurisdiction of the Caesarea Development Corporation which may have some issues with flying drones - החברה לפיתוח קיסריה - Home.

Also south of Caesarea is a one of Israel's largest power stations and, in a security conscious country like this, there may be problems flying to close.

We here almost nothing in the news here about problems flying drones in Israel. Up to 50 meters height is accepted, above that and, theoretically, you need a special license.

Perhaps contact a company called LoolTV (LOOLTV). They run a drone school and are active in using drones for filming. They may be able to give you some more up to date advice and info.

Philip

One last thing. According to Ministry of Transport regulations (and IDF), flying along the coast from a place called Shavai Tsion (just south of Nahariya) and all the way up to the Lebanese border (Rosh Hanikra) isn't allowed. Having said that, I have flown along the coast there a number of times (never higher than 30 meters) and have had no problems) I would not fly in the area close to Rosh Hanikra because this is a border crossing as well and very sensitive from a security point of view, Also, the coastal area up here is patrolled by the Israeli Navy - stay clear of their ships and don't photograph them. Don't know if you will that far north but just so you know.

Just received this email from a video company in Israel - I had asked them about brining my S900 from the U.S. And filming there next summer. Here's the response: "Thank you for contacting us. I know there is very little info in English about drone rules in Israel. In short, you can't operate drones in Israel. An operator license from the Israel FAA is mandatory, but only Israeli citizens who speak fluent Hebrew can get a license.
And - you can't bring a drone when entering Israel. Customs agents will ask you to deposit it with them until your departure...
Sorry about it. If I can help in any way - please feel free to contact me."

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Just received this email from a video company in Israel - I had asked them about brining my S900 from the U.S. And filming there next summer. Here's the response: "Thank you for contacting us. I know there is very little info in English about drone rules in Israel. In short, you can't operate drones in Israel. An operator license from the Israel FAA is mandatory, but only Israeli citizens who speak fluent Hebrew can get a license.
And - you can't bring a drone when entering Israel. Customs agents will ask you to deposit it with them until your departure...
Sorry about it. If I can help in any way - please feel free to contact me."

Does anyone know if this is accurate?
Jist arrived in israel and there customs took my drone and said we are not allowed to bring it in to the country... tomorroq i find out with the case number they gave me if theres a fine or i get it back, i can live without flying it here but i cant enjoy anything till i know my baby (the drone) is coming back with me and if ao at what cost, they said they put it in storage, anyone else have this problem?

Thanks a lot everyone! Im going to Israel after 2 months and realised that taking my P4 with me is not a good idea... :D Thanks a lot again! :)

Hi,

I’m heading down to Eilat soon and doing a big hike on Har Shlomo. I was thinking about bringing my P4P with me, but I was wondering if it would be too close to the border to do some flying, even if it’s just close to the mountain. Any idea on the limitations of flying near the Egyptian border, and if I can get by with some quick low flights?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20