Flying without screws

Reaction score
I just installed the H3-3D anti interference board and had a hell of a time getting the phillips screws out at the tips of the propellors. They are super tight and seem to be easy to strip. After I finished putting all the hex screws back in everything seems tight and solid enough to fly without those little phillips screws. Like really solid.

I'm planning to install a video transmitter soon and I'm just afraid if I keep taking those screws in and out I'm eventually going to strip them while they're in my Phantom, which would be very bad.

What do you guys think? OK to fly without those screws? I could always screw them in without tightening them all the way but I don't see how that would be any better than just leaving them out. And if they're not in tight they could fall out from vibration.

Anybody know where I can get aftermarket screws that will resist stripping a little bit better?

I have one arm with no screw and its flying fine. I have also read of others flying with all four not fitted. But obviously they are there for a purpose too!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

I flew it once without the screws in and I didn't notice any issues at all. I'm going to leave them out for now.

Anyone know where I can get spare screws? Preferably more durable ones, but I'll even buy them from DJI and treat them as disposable. As soon as I notice one starting to strip I'll replace it with a fresh one. Can just these screws be ordered from DJI?

Anyone know the specs of these screws so I can look for them online?

TIA

I had to take the Bird to the dealer to get one out. Such a pain in the butt! They drilled it out. I was super careful and spent 2 hours trying to get it out without stripping it. Nothing worked and it started to strip. It even ruined a screwdriver by twisting so hard it bent the screwdriver blade around in a twist. Lame.

The dealer said he doesn't leave his in and that's the first thing he removes when building rigs for people.

lightingbryan said:
I had to take the Bird to the dealer to get one out. Such a pain in the butt! They drilled it out. I was super careful and spent 2 hours trying to get it out without stripping it. Nothing worked and it started to strip. It even ruined a screwdriver by twisting so hard it bent the screwdriver blade around in a twist. Lame.

The dealer said he doesn't leave his in and that's the first thing he removes when building rigs for people.
I think the only real downside is having that hole exposed. Depending on where you fly dust and debris could work it's way in over time and gunk up the inside.

uscpsycho said:
lightingbryan said:

I think the only real downside is having that hole exposed. Depending on where you fly dust and debris could work it's way in over time and gunk up the inside.

You would definitely want to watch out for dirt. But the Phantom has tons of vent holes all over the craft, so I haven't worried about it too much. :)

uscpsycho said:
lightingbryan said:

Not an issue. 9 months flying without the screws here.

A tip that was given to me was to always remove the Philips screws first before the hex screws. If you remove the hex screws first, it puts all the stress on the Phillips screws, this making them harder to remove

Also, the exact Phillips head is a PT0 size. I went and purchased a pt0 screwdriver at my local hardware store and have never had an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.