Flying without Permission UK Guidance

Reaction score
New to flying drones, and was looking for some guidance.

I understand the drone code.
I use drone assist, combined with google maps, and street map.
I've done a lot of reading up on the National Trust, Open Access Land, Council Bylaws, Forestry Commission and Public Rights of Way.

Coming into the hobby reading the drone code, It felt like you could fly most places. Now my opinion is more:

"Unless you have specific permission to takeoff from the actual landowner your breaking the law".

"Provided you follow the drone code and keep above 50m, permission to fly over someone's land is not necessarily required".

Landowners permission for takeoff/landing?

Flying Drones

When looking for sites to fly in, I'm generally targeting open farmland ~2km square and looking for associated public footpath access to be used as the takeoff landing site, normally 500m to a 1km away from any buildings, roads or railways.

Without actually gaining permission though I can't think of any other options? (I live no where near the coast).

Just feels like the only legal flight you can do without permission in the U.K. is to hover in the living room.

Im beginning to think the drone code is pointless, unless access is permitted for takeoff and landing. I also think this aspect is not specifically covered, as the CAA only regulate airspace.

Just looking for other people's opinions thoughts, and how people are actually going about flying drones.

What goes into selecting a site, and landing / takeoff point?

Last edited:
I appreciate it does feel a bit like that but unfortunately there are so many people that have ignored even the most basic drone code rules that make it difficult for everyone else.

In the U.K. A lot of it is common sense.

Drones can do a lot of damage so the drone code of 50m is a good idea anyway. Even the National Trust, English Heritage etc rules are reasonable as there are always people on these sites and it is private land anyway.

In my view common sense prevails, keeping away from people and at height where the noise won't upset people goes a long way.

Just another thought if your new to this, being a member of the British Model Flying Association (BMFA) doesn't cost much but does give you comprehensive liability insurance if anything does happen.

I'm in the same boat as Sniper Bob, new to the hobby and digested the CAA drone code and reading the forums .

I'd really appreciate some advice from experienced UK pilots on how they select their countryside flying locations and how best to get the land owners permission. Thanks

Same position as you guys.
I have just invested in a drone. I've been asking around for permission to film for personal use, not commercial. Everyone I have contacted said they don't allow the use of drones. These areas are often just beaches and parks. Would it be illegal to carry on regardless?

"Unless you have specific permission to takeoff from the actual landowner you're breaking the law" - I stand to be corrected, but that would be a simple trespass, which is a civil wrong. The most the land owner can do is ask you to leave. In addition, the owner of the land does not own the airspace above his property. As long as the drone is not flying low enough to interfere with "normal enjoyment of the land" the owner can't really do much.

The CAA leaflet which I got with my drone begins with "Drone Laws". Many of what is written on that leaflet is not the law. Even the statement that you can't fly above 400 ft is simply a guideline. There is nothing in the ANO saying that you cannot fly a drone weighing less than 7 kg above 400 ft. It's also worth pointing out that the police have no powers to enforce any of the CAA "laws". At the very most they can only ask you to land the drone. They don't have powers to seize you drone, view the footage or even touch your drone. But I doubt the police know that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers