Flying without insurance

Reaction score
I am brand new to RC flying, and am considering joining the BMFA "British Model Flying Association" for the insurance cover. I beleive that the 3rd party cover is £5 million. But I am wondering how many people don't see the need for it. So, do you fly without insurance?

I have insurance through membership of http://www.FPVUK.org £5M public liability insurance for all flying, FPV or otherwise, for £15.80 per year, pro-rated memberships are available. It's a "virtual" club, so you don't get a glossy magazine, but the Chair, Simon Dale (owner of http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk who I highly recommend), has been instrumental in negotiations with the CAA for relaxing regulations on FPV flying in particular and multirotor flying in general.

EDIT: to say this was not to imply fpvuk.org are in any way better or otherwise than BMFA, just giving another option re: insurance that covers our flying. :)

I've used FPVuk for a couple of years now and for the money it's a no brainer. I've never had to claim but I keep a copy of it in my flight case which came in handy when some nut job came over and told me I wasn't allowed to fly in my local park. Producing the document made me look all official, he stood there and read it, gasped at the fact that as he was talking to me the phantom had flown home and landed itself, then he went on his merry way, probably to moan at the children in the play area for enjoying themselves too much.

nagrom said:
I've used FPVuk for a couple of years now and for the money it's a no brainer. I've never had to claim but I keep a copy of it in my flight case which came in handy when some nut job came over and told me I wasn't allowed to fly in my local park. Producing the document made me look all official, he stood there and read it, gasped at the fact that as he was talking to me the phantom had flown home and landed itself, then he went on his merry way, probably to moan at the children in the play area for enjoying themselves too much.
Lol - was just typing that I always keep a copy of my FPVuk insurance in my back pocket for the very same reason as you !

(I have read that it is mandatory to carry a copy in some states in the US)

ResevorDG said:
I like this idea, anyone know of something like this for the other side of the pond?

If you have a homeowners policy, you are probably covered. You can also purchase coverage through AMA. That policy provides "excess" coverage. I have not read the policy so I don't know how the policy would respond in absence of an underlying policy.

And to answer OP question about flying w/o coverage, I would not recommend. I would imagine that given the nature of these machines, the theory of strict liability would apply.

ResevorDG said:
I like this idea, anyone know of something like this for the other side of the pond?

Everyone should join their respective model flyers associations. Here' stye one for USA. http://www.modelaircraft.org

iResq said:
ResevorDG said:

If you have a homeowners policy, you are probably covered. You can also purchase coverage through AMA. That policy provides "excess" coverage. I have not read the policy so I don't know how the policy would respond in absence of an underlying policy.

And to answer OP question about flying w/o coverage, I would not recommend. I would imagine that given the nature of these machines, the theory of strict liability would apply.

I'm with iResq, our homeowners covers this type of risk, and for $8 a year we raised our coverage to a million $ liability.

I also joined AMA for all of the benefits including insurance. Seems like those old guys are advocating for RC rights and it seems like a responsible move being new to this hobby.

:)

coloradosky said:
iResq said:
ResevorDG said:

I'm with iResq, our homeowners covers this type of risk, and for $8 a year we raised our coverage to a million $ liability.

I also joined AMA for all of the benefits including insurance. Seems like those old guys are advocating for RC rights and it seems like a responsible move being new to this hobby.

:)

Very interesting. I will have to call my home owners and find out.

seajunky said:
Well I have just joined FPV.org and as such I am now insured for flying my Quad PV. :D

When I try to go to FPV.org it forwards me to another website: FMA.COM "Future Media Architects" Is it just me? FYI

ResevorDG said:

This is what I got from my insurance... Seems rather hight:

"We can offer you another policy that would cover the general liability. This would cover bodily injury and property damage for others. There is a $500 deductible. This coverage would start at $1400 annually.

Property coverage is available and the premium start at $1500. This does not cover damage or theft. This is for UAV coverage only.
"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik