Flying without a map

Reaction score
I searched but could not find the answer I am looking for. I am in an area where I have no cellular service so cannot get a google map on my iPhone. Is it still ok to fly? I am a little uncomfortable as I like to see on the mp where the home point is set.

Thanks

Reactions: stoneyb245
Yes. You don't need the map to fly.

Yes it is safe to fly with no maps. Radar will help you. I usually fly without the maps as I turn airplane mode on.

I searched but could not find the answer I am looking for. I am in an area where I have no cellular service so cannot get a google map on my iPhone. Is it still ok to fly? I am a little uncomfortable as I like to see on the mp where the home point is set.

Thanks

Cache the map into your device through the Go app

Thanks
Open up the go app on your device, set the maps to cache and then view the area you will be flying in with the app. It will retain those viewed areas and they will show when you fly. I do it all the time with my iPad that has no active SIM card in it.

Your home point should update (albeit on a blank screen). Without that I would advise keeping it close

Just so I'm clear, even if you don't have a map but the home point is recorded you should be fine. I guess the GPS coordinates get logged as normal and in the event the bird needs to return to home it would do so in the exact same way it would if it had a map. Correct?

I guess having the map is more for informational purposes than anything. It doesn't effect functionality or safeguard options built in to the transmitter or drone at all. Correct?

Just so I'm clear, even if you don't have a map but the home point is recorded you should be fine. I guess the GPS coordinates get logged as normal and in the event the bird needs to return to home it would do so in the exact same way it would if it had a map. Correct?
Yes.

I guess having the map is more for informational purposes than anything. It doesn't effect functionality or safeguard options built in to the transmitter or drone at all. Correct?
Yes.

For most flying you don't need a map at all.
I think I've used the map feature twice in two years.

Reactions: kirk2579

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20