Flying within 5 miles of an airport

Just so we are all on the same page, I never was asking if I could operate on the same frequency that the airplanes operate on, I was simply asking what frequency I would use and then I was told I would need a license and then the question moved to what license do I need and what frequency? I never thought I would be chatting with the tower while a plane was trying to ask for clearance etc.
I guess those that deal with ATC know that towers don't have some other frequency for general discussion. They have a specific frequency that is used for all communication with aircraft in the immediate area. So when the question was asked, certain things were assumed. Sorry about that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here in Canada we have numerous fixed wing flights in rural areas especially planes rigged with floats, wheels and skis.

Where I live, I see daily flights below 500 ft and some even land. There are others that take off and are stationed at homes around the lake.

Our locale is also in a major fixed and rotary flight training area. I have thought about using a radio on the air training frequency to announce intentions when I fly the UAV around the island and lake.

It would definitely be safer than me and a Super Cub on floats surprising one another.

Here in Canada we must posses a Radio Operator's License-Aircraft to operate an aircraft radio, which I already had.

Just so we are all on the same page, I never was asking if I could operate on the same frequency that the airplanes operate on, I was simply asking what frequency I would use and then I was told I would need a license and then the question moved to what license do I need and what frequency? I never thought I would be chatting with the tower while a plane was trying to ask for clearance etc.
Pilot here. There's no radio frequency YOU can talk to the tower on. Tower and ground is for control information only. Even pilots (myself included) use cell phones and land lines to contact the tower for non control info. Highly suggest you simply fall in line with us and end this silly online banter asap.

Heck, some control facilities are military bases and I've even called them on the phone from the plane! (While parked of course).

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kentrol72
What if you are in an aircraft on the ground that does not have an electrical system or built in radio and only use a handheld radio. Can you still communicate with a tower, ground control, unicom without a ground station license?? Lots of people do it without being penalized.

Unless I have incorrectly interpreted the rules, "on the ground" means you are not in an aircraft. IE, you are in a truck, or car, or standing on your own feet or relaxing in a chase lounge in the hangar. Using a hand held in an aircraft sitting on the tarmac is NOT considered "on the ground" for relevance to the ground station rule and under that situation your use is governed by the aircraft license. Under that circumstance you ARE the aircraft. For the purpose of the license, it doesn't matter where the aircraft is (30,000' or 0'). Of course it matters which frequency you use (ground, ATC, etc).

You are not and will never be IN your UAV. Therefore, under the rules, you and the radio are then "on the ground". Unless you are in another aircraft, then thats another nightmarish scenario.

Frankly, every fiber of my being says you are barking up the wrong tree with the whole radio thing and UAVs. You are poking the bear and the cage isn't locked.

I like the idea of calling the airport. As an ex Navy Air Traffic Controller, it would be easier and more effecient if personel or an automated system in Base Ops, fielded the calls and published Notams and/or had the Tower give UAV activity advisories via the ATIS.
No need for UAV operators to radio the tower.

hi guys. less than a month in to my P3P, brand new on the forums here, and an air traffic controller.

there really isn't that much that's required to fly in the vicinity of an airport if you're operating as a recreational hobbyist, which i assume is the majority of people here. if the airport is controlled, call the ATC facility (on the phone), and report your intentions. once you notify my facility of what's happening, we'll add it to our ATIS. pilots are required to pick this up on the way in or out of the airport and advises them of anything special. if it's an uncontrolled airport, you're supposed to get a hold of the airport owner/operator and do the same. we can't even really tell you that you can't do it unless your intentions are going to directly affect safety or there's another operation in progress that you would negatively impact at the time. other than that, the rest is common sense or spelled out in AC 91-57a. to be real sure of what's going on in any area you're planning to fly in, you can check for NOTAMs and TFRs.

as far as getting a radio to talk to me in the tower, don't. please, don't ever do that. unless you're inside an aircraft or a vehicle looking to operate on the airfield, don't call the tower on radio. seriously, if i'm busy conducting actual operations with aircraft, and a phantom pilot calls in the middle of it, i'd be pretty pissed off. if you want to get a radio to just listen to the traffic so you can stay in the loop, that's fine, just don't broadcast. if you're in the vicinity of an uncontrolled airport, then that might be a different story. it's wild west out there and i don't know if anyone on frequency would think twice about it, but i believe it's still not technically allowed.

as far as getting a radio to talk to me in the tower, don't. please, don't ever do that. unless you're inside an aircraft or a vehicle looking to operate on the airfield, don't call the tower on radio. seriously, if i'm busy conducting actual operations with aircraft, and a phantom pilot calls in the middle of it, i'd be pretty pissed off. if you want to get a radio to just listen to the traffic so you can stay in the loop, that's fine, just don't broadcast. if you're in the vicinity of an uncontrolled airport, then that might be a different story. it's wild west out there and i don't know if anyone on frequency would think twice about it, but i believe it's still not technically allowed.

Thats almost exactly what I told them back in post 48:
They may not want a couple dozen drone pilots calling them when they might be busy focusing on a Cessna doing touch and go's.

Which was previously mentioned much earlier in post #7.

Reactions: Wolfiesden
Here is a little update on the UAV operator talking on aviation band radios. I recently received my FAA 333 Exemption and just received the hard copy with the blanket COA included. Reading thru it there is a part that says "Communication Requirements" under that it says....

"When operating in the vicinity of an airport without an operating control tower, announce your operations in accordance with the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) 4-1-9 Traffic Advisory Practices at Airports without Operating Control Towers" Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) 4-1-9 (Non-Towered Airports) - AVweb Features Article

So apparently the FAA REQUIRES me to talk on a radio giving pilots in the area my intentions as a UAV operator.

Here is a little update on the UAV operator talking on aviation band radios. I recently received my FAA 333 Exemption and just received the hard copy with the blanket COA included. Reading thru it there is a part that says "Communication Requirements" under that it says....

"When operating in the vicinity of an airport without an operating control tower, announce your operations in accordance with the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) 4-1-9 Traffic Advisory Practices at Airports without Operating Control Towers" Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) 4-1-9 (Non-Towered Airports) - AVweb Features Article

So apparently the FAA REQUIRES me to talk on a radio giving pilots in the area my intentions as a UAV operator.

My COA is similar but keep in mind:
The pilot of the UAV must comply with the com requirements. To be a pilot of the UAV in a commercial capacity the FAA says you must have a real pilots license.
Without that license you cannot legally fly commercially.

My COA is similar but keep in mind:
The pilot of the UAV must comply with the com requirements. To be a pilot of the UAV in a commercial capacity the FAA says you must have a real pilots license.
Without that license you cannot legally fly commercially.

Fortunately I do have a pilots license and took my 2 year Flight Review a couple of days ago. Life is good.

Reactions: ResevorDG

EDIT, I just talked to my local FSDO and they agreed on my conclusion.

Reactions: ResevorDG

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj