Flying within 5 miles of an airport

from what I have been able to find so far, tower can talk over you to other pilots and I haven't found a shred of evidence saying you need to be licensed to operate a radio and transmit on air traffic control frequencies for the purpose of communicating with the air traffic control tower using an approved radio that was built for that purpose.

Well I have given you a 'heads-up' that you are not authorized to operate on those frequencies.

FCC: Wireless Services: Aircraft Stations: Operations

We should all call or fax them. When they are bogged down either the rule will change or it will be automated.
You must not be familiar with how the government works, has there ever been anything "automated" by the US government? If the air traffic control towers get bogged down then the US government will create a whole new agency. They will staff it with 3 times as many employees as they need and they will complete work 3 times slower than they should. We will end up having to file forms in triplicate and pay a "nominal fee" 4-6 weeks in advance every time we want to get authorization from the tower for a flight.

My sUAS registration was automated.

Got my refund as promised too.

Reactions: Kentrol72
My sUAS registration was automated.

Got my refund as promised too.
The website has to be maintained, the servers have to be maintained. The refunds don't go through automatically, they are batch processed and the batch process has to be manually initiated.

The website has to be maintained, the servers have to be maintained. The refunds don't go through automatically, they are batch processed and the batch process has to be manually initiated.

Good day Sir.

My local airport has no tower, the contact at the airport operator (the city) asked me to just email him. There is nothing he can go to alert aircraft anyway, his big thing was to "be safe". The VRF flight path is south of the city, but the runway lines up with a house about 300 feet from mine. Pilots routinely fly low over the city.

Good day Sir.
Oh what do ya know, the website and registration is handled by the UAS Integration office, you must think that when you mail a postcard that it just magically arrives at the destination too huh.

Here are screenshots from the Hover app

IMG_0008.jpg IMG_0009.jpg

we use the radios when we want to use the airport for paragliding via motor... sorry if you don't know these things.... and yes.. we listen and talk...

from what I have been able to find so far, tower can talk over you to other pilots and I haven't found a shred of evidence saying you need to be licensed to operate a radio and transmit on air traffic control frequencies for the purpose of communicating with the air traffic control tower using an approved radio that was built for that purpose.

Well, here is your shred...

You may only use your hand-held aircraft VHF radio in your aircraft under the terms of your aircraft license. You are required to have a separate Ground Station license to operate your radio on the ground.

FCC: Wireless Services: Ground Stations: Services:
The FCC regulates the Aviation Services in cooperation with the Federal Aviation Administration. Wherever aviation services are provided in U.S. territory, both FAA and FCC requirements must be met by anyone who uses aviation radio. In addition, civil aircraft on international flights are subject to international radio regulations intended to safeguard air travelers worldwide. Flight safety is the primary purpose of all Aviation Services.

I really don't see how it could be stated any more clear. You need a license. You need a license. You need a license. You need a license. If you don't have one, you do not have the legal right to transmit on the airband. Period. Full stop.

I really don't see how it could be stated any more clear. You need a license. You need a license. You need a license. You need a license. If you don't have one, you do not have the legal right to transmit on the airband. Period. Full stop.
I showed that in post 24 I was clearly asking what type of license I need. Post 24, Post 24, Post 24, I don't know how I can be any more clear, post 24!

I asked if I need a multicom license because I saw this:
"Aeronautical multicom stations provide communications between private aircraft and a ground facility for temporary, seasonal, or emergency activities like crop dusting, livestock herding, forest firefighting, aerial advertising, parachute jumping, etc. In some cases, multicom stations may be authorized to serve as unicom stations."
I got it from this source: FCC: Wireless Services: Ground Stations: Services: About
I don't know why you are being so rude when I have stated several times that I am asking for help. Is that not what this forum is about? I help others when I know and I ask others when I don't.

I asked if I need a multicom license because I saw this:
"Aeronautical multicom stations provide communications between private aircraft and a ground facility for temporary, seasonal, or emergency activities like crop dusting, livestock herding, forest firefighting, aerial advertising, parachute jumping, etc. In some cases, multicom stations may be authorized to serve as unicom stations."
I got it from this source: FCC: Wireless Services: Ground Stations: Services: About
I don't know why you are being so rude when I have stated several times that I am asking for help. Is that not what this forum is about? I help others when I know and I ask others when I don't.

I do not believe you would need a multicom license. You are not transmitting from your drone to the ground on any airband frequencies. You are looking to be on the ground and transmit to the ATC/Tower. Thats a completely different scenario.

Glad this was brought up .... I just remembered my radio was in my Sprinter.... just now brought it in... don't need it to freeze...

notice the wording... " under the terms of your aircraft license " "Wherever aviation services are provided "

So... a commercial airline has different terms and different aircraft license than say a powered parachute aircraft...
if your using a private grass airstrip... just how much aviation services provided do you think is there... maybe you can radio the wife so she can open the door for you to taxi your aircraft into the hanger....

and depending on your " aircraft " you don't have to have any license at all... not even a drivers license... sorry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.